In the Northeast
Reinhard, you've accomplished more in a couple of months than most of us accomplish in a year! Good job, and keep the photos coming!

I still marvel at your GERN facility. That thing is huge and in my mind is exactly what a GERN facility should look like.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Reinhard --

As always, your new scenes/vignettes looks magnificent!

Smile,
Stein
The last open space is the hatch in front of the door. A railroad bridge is under construction. The two track main line will cross the entry to the industrial area.

[Image: IMGP4139.JPG]

At the next day ...
The trees got a hole in the bottom and are glued with CA on nails. That provides the stability to survive on the hatch.

[Image: IMGP4152.JPG]

ps. Did you notice, I am the proud owner of a double track mainline layout now Misngth
Reinhard
After all spots have been filled it was time for a birds view of the scenic part of the layout. The Cessna flew from east to west at a low altitude.

[Image: a1.jpg]
[Image: a2.jpg]
[Image: a3.jpg]
[Image: a4.jpg]
[Image: a5.jpg]
[Image: a6.jpg]
[Image: a7.jpg]
[Image: a8.jpg]
[Image: a9.jpg]

It was a great pleasure to build the layout with your so overwhelming friendly virtual companionship. Thank you all very much Cheers
Reinhard
Woohoo!

Time to run some trains!!!
Looks great, Reinhard, and your rate of progress has been astounding. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Really great work in such a short time too! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
As the layout covering the 1930 - 1950 time frame is more or less complete my CSX engines etc. are becoming more and more attractive to me...

I got the idea how much has to be replaced (not destroyed!) to have an acceptable 1980 layout. Easiest would be the replacement of the neat building in the back- and foreground. The background has been replaced with a simple paper background building and the foreground became a truck parking lot. Also the grade crossing need some modern equipment and a lower quadrant train order signal made it's trip back in the box.
The GERN complex and the packing plant have been untouched as they will serve 1980 just fine. Might be some graffiti and broken windows would be fine.

I consider to build some modern buildings to support the new 1980 look. They will be close to the "white shoe box buildings" but not as modern and perfect as they are in new established industry parks as on my last layout. More like low budget run down small industry found in many cities. However, GERN and packing plant will stay untouched!

[Image: IMGP4172.JPG]
Reinhard
Reinhard, didn't you already build some of the modern "shoebox" buildings?

Is the white fascia painted or is it white paneling? Do you like the white color? I'm considering what I should do for my fascia.
Gary S Wrote:Reinhard, didn't you already build some of the modern "shoebox" buildings?
Is the white fascia painted or is it white paneling? Do you like the white color? I'm considering what I should do for my fascia.

Gary, the fascia is made from white paneling. The backside is brown. I assume it is made from pressed paper/fabric? The backside of closets (e.e. IKEA) is made of the same material.

Indeed I did some shoe boxes before:-) But the last layout was made of very modern shoe boxes in a new founded industrial park only. This time older "shoe boxes" as modeled by Kurt (Florida) and Steve (Castillo cold storage) are better examples of my target. Pelle has also some nice examples. They should fit between the older brick and concrete buildings on the left (GERN) and right wing (packing plant). It should form a fairly run down industrial area.
Your photos of prototype buildings in this forum are also a good example of not so perfect boxes. There are lots of details, walls made of brick later painted over etc. My first boxes were "the perfect boxes" in a new established industrial park.
I did really enjoy creating the box buildings but I have not been satisfied with the quality of my work last time. This time I will take more time and try to do it better... we will see :?:
Reinhard
Reinhard.......The layout just keep getting better and better! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Keep up the awesome work!!!
Steve
" At the next day ...
The trees got a hole in the bottom and are glued with CA on nails. That provides the stability to survive on the hatch. "

Evolution, survival of the fittest. Here, where the land is in constant motion, we see a local species of Oak that has developed the ability to absorb iron, from the surrounding soil, into its root system. This adaptation strengthens the roots and allows the trees to survive the shaking of the ground, and remain standing. It is believed that wood from these trees was used in the construction of USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides" Big Grin ( yeah, I watch too much Discovery Channel, and History Channel )

The trees on my modules, get a small pile of fine sand at the base, which is then soaked with a water/white glue solution which turns the sand into "concrete", forming a stable base.

Worship Praise, where praise is most due ! Worship That is some nice work !!!!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
The first new box building is set. It is made of styrene instead of cardboard after I discovered an affordable source. It represents an older and more simple structure in a run down neighborhood than the "perfect white boxes" in a new established industry park on my last layout. The uncovered brick sides (and back) are common used on that buildings.

More care has been taken on precision than speed...

[Image: IMGP4181.JPG]

ps. Photo has been updated after some weathering of building and setting chain link fence.
Reinhard
Another run down box building has been added. I need to find some nice advertising to be plugged at the wall. A plumber might be nice.

[Image: IMGP4190.JPG]
Reinhard
Reinhard....Those last two buildings are spectacular! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Excellent work! Keep it up Wink
Steve