Charlie b's layout
I decided to go with the cinder ballast. I straightend out the track somewhat and added ballast and applied a liberal amount of glue. I use a 50/50 mix of 
Elmer's Glue All and water with a little bit of Awesome soap and about an oz of alcohol to 50 oz of the glue mix. 
I spread the ballast, then a gentle mist of window cleaner to wet it  then add the glue from a bottle like peroxide comes in dripping until everything is soaked good.
When it is dry I will remove all of the track nails.     
Charlie
The ballast has set well on the first section and I removed all the nails that held the track in place. I am laying out the north end yard now. Progress is slow but I have a system now so tacking it in place isn't too bad.      About 2/5 of this yard tacked down.  
Charlie
Looking good!

How do you ballast around the moving parts of the switches?
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
(03-24-2023, 07:34 AM)tompm Wrote: Looking good!

How do you ballast around the moving parts of the switches?

Tom, I haven't done the switches here yet but when I do it will be mostly outside the rails. Under the points I just apply enough ballast to cover the base and I apply the wet glue to the outside and let it weep under. You have to be careful the glue and ballast doesn't get under the throw bar. Wayne uses a little oil on the points to keep the glue from sticking which would also work under the throw. 
Charlie
I looked at some turnouts up here and the ballast at the switch throw rods seemed not to be higher than the bottom of the sleepers. It might take a strip of coarse sandpaper to replicate this.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
(03-24-2023, 07:05 PM)BR60103 Wrote: I looked at some turnouts up here and the ballast at the switch throw rods seemed not to be higher than the bottom of the sleepers. It might take a strip of coarse sandpaper to replicate this.

I never ballasted the ties under the switch points so we would have room for snow when it fell. It made clearing the switches a lot easier. Not a problem on the Wilderson division but that was why I didn't do it with the prototype.  Even a piece of ballast in the points will keep them from closing so you had to be careful. I think some flat black paint will look OK, too late to put anything under. 
Charlie
"I think some flat black paint will look OK"

Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yesterday I ballasted the north east yard. It is done all but the ladder track to return to the main yard track. tonight I laid out the 36 inch radius curve at the north end that will round the corner to the yard along the north wall. It will be a stub end with the main yard track crossing over to the main layout at the end of the curve. I ballasted the curve and applied the glue so If I have time tomorrow I will work on the ladder tracks on both yards. 
Charlie
I have been working on the yards but have forgotten to take photos. Most of the track is down and ballastedans yesterday and today I worked on the wiring. 
There are 3 power districts protected by Voltscooter breakers. That gives me a total of 9 districts on the entire layout. There are 3 different yards in the addition each has 6 tracks. Each track can be turned off so locomotives can be stored without a massive power draw. There is a switch panel for each yard which has 6 rocker switches for the track and a master reset switch for the circuit breaker.  

I used 12 gauge audio wire from the power supply to the yards with each yard having its own 12 gauge wire pair. 

Tomorrow I hope to get stuff put away so I can finish up the fascia. I think I managed  to bet the yard tracks in phase with the main layout too.  More to come.
Charlie
You are making great progress. Looking good!
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
I finally remembered to take some photos.  
Yesterday I installed a couple sidings with team tracks and painted around the switches where i did not want ballast interfering with their operation. I still have some little items I want to touch up and I am on the way to Home Depot for some boards to fill the gap at the rear of the yards. 

I noticed I have a slight bow in the shelf under the window but that will straighten out with the board that will fill the gap (and a little persuasion)( I can't remember ever typing that word, thank goodness for spell check  Wink . 

I will have to do some traveling for appropriate  photos to have backdrops made. I prefer my own vs common ready made. I may even print some myself, I have had good luck with background buildings. 

I still need to figure a fast way to install the bridges, and the one on the north end has to be made as well as installing the 3 switches needed to get to the bridge on the main section of the layout.                  

To be continued................
Charlie
It's starting to fill up. Opening boxes makes it seem like Christmas all over again. I have been repairing any minor damage i find but it is moving along.                             
Charlie
Nice collection you got there!
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
That’s a nice collection of cars and locomotives for sure. Especially love the Pennsy centipedes!
————————————————————————————
Modeling the East Broad Top as it was between 1937-1942
~Amanda
yes some new locos and stock are badly needed ....

thanks for sharing .