Roll by
Ah, thanks for the reminder. I forgot all about the food grade flux!
What are the restrictions for signage, cars etc.?
This is interesting and may become my next industry in Kentucky!
Jim
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
Restrictions? We don't got no restrictions! This thing is just a really fun industry that kind of took on a life of it's own, with modelers all over the country from the Gauge modeling Gern in various eras and trying to invent a new use for the product that hasn't been seen before.
Thought I'd ask as I have made a sign up already!

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
so, GERN doesn't really exist? You had me fooled!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
That sign looks good to me, Jim. If you'll PM your e-mail address to me, I'll send you some hi-res jpgs of GERN stuff, which may be of use to you. For rolling stock, the most common GERN (always all caps) cars are covered hoppers, tank cars, boxcars, and gondolas, but any car you want to use could be a GERN car. I've been assigning the car numbers, just to avoid duplicates, so if you have cars that you wish to letter for GERN, let me know the car types and how many of them you have. The reporting marks are GILX, representing GERN Industries Limited. GERN products are also shipped in railroad-owned and other privately-owned cars, too, so you can use commercially available cars for your favourite road or even ones lettered for your own free-lanced road.

Wayne
Here's a link to the GERN thread at Big Blue.

Wayne
Well I'll be GERNed! I wasn't aware such a useful product was available! I'll have to ask someone where I can buy it!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Ahhhhh! SO!

So when SKP Products, manufacturers of a family of Some Kinda Plastics, receives a shipment of GERN's Famous Flux for use in SKP's new improved formula for their soon to be released product called Idealite, the new readily cut, extremely hard, corrosion resistant, stainless, cheap, fireproof, flexible but rigid elastic compound containing chlorophyll, it will have a 3% lower cholesterol content ... PLUS a 3% lower carbohydrate level! Those crafty chemical engineers!

I've heard rumors that the Research and Development Department at SKP Products has been running tests on GERN's Famous Flux on the belief that by adding a mere 3% of it to Extravaganzex, a surfacing material generally specified in high end display and exhibit designs,they will be able to achieve the appearance of solid gold at a 3% lower materials cost. In addition, a recent press release from SKP' Marketing Department indicates they intend to add GERN's Famous Flux to Esoterium to increase it's refraction index by a solid 3%! It looks like great things are happening over there at SKP! This might be a good time to invest in some SKP stock!

When I look into the Way-Back Machine to the early thirties, before the advent of fleets of covered hoppers, GERN shipped their Famous Flux in containers in specially equipped Gondolas. You know, I think I see a couple of Pennsy G22B Gondolas with a full loads of HB1A containers coming into the yard in the consist of the Scranton Turn that I just bet are being shipped SKP from GERN ... whaddya bet?!! Wink
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
GERN was an early pioneer in the use of covered hoppers, with their first being these converted Dominion (Fowler) boxcars:
[album]101[/album]

Engineers at GERN, along with designers at the EG&E's Car Department, next developed and built a prototype of a true, all-steel, covered hopper. After exhaustive in-service tests, National Steel Car, in Hamilton, Ontario, was awarded the contract to build the first lot of EG&E covered hoppers.
The cars currently in service were built in the mid-'30s, to two slightly different designs.

The first bear some resemblance to those later offered by ACF...
[album]580[/album]

...while the others are similar to a later offering by Pullman Standard:
[album]581[/album]

Wayne
Hi Doc---I think those Pullman Standard covered hoppers are one of my favourites--- love that '' IF IT'S GERN,IT'S GOOD"logo
Looks like a view from under North Main Street bridge.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!
I know I'm digging up an oldie here, but I just love the concept :-)

Is there a dedicated GERN thread here yet?

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Gern Flux is now being added to beauty products along with the magic ingredient Hyaluronic Acid , to make middle-aged ladies look 3% younger.
torikoos Wrote:I know I'm digging up an oldie here, but I just love the concept :-)

Is there a dedicated GERN thread here yet?

Koos

Here's the link to the GERN thread, Koos.

Wayne