A Stone Barn Scratchbuild
Matt will post some more pics later, the problem with water puddy is what you described it doesn't have the sheer stringgth of hydracal type plasters my self i use US gypsum A-11 hydacal first choice after that it's statuary hydracal or hyrda stone(very hard and tough when set up ). as for scribing after casting its not needed if you use a wall form with windows opinings cast in (oppitional) i have used copper foil(from craft store) it can be imbossed with a stone patteren then cut to fit in the wall mold , them pour plaster on it , there will be some seepage around window openings . think i still have a wall i cast in shop some where will post pic if i fime it later.
jim
I'm wondering if using a bit of window screen in the center of the casting like you would use rebar to reinforce a driveway would strengthen the Durhams?
I thought of an idea like that before, but I believe that with good internal bracing the Durham's should be strong enough for a small barn. If I was to be building a huge dairy barn complex or something, I would shift to hydrocal no doubt...
Crazy week and progress is stalled, but should be able to work a little on it Tuesday.

Matt
Matt here are some more barn shots.sorry for the poor quality but being on dial up Wallbang you know why.
you will note that the ends of these have vent slots built into them. and some are wood and stone.

jim

Attached Files Image(s)

here are other stone shots.the first two have cut stone fronts the first is a lodge , the second is the Central City Opera House that as far as i know is still being used today.the other are how a arch bridge is laid.
jim

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the stonework pics Jim!

[Image: scaledrawing.jpg]

Today I used a conglomeration of photos for inspiration to plan out and draw the building directly onto the laminated cardstock that will serve as the mold. The structure will be 24x48x24 in overall dimensions. I marked off and drew in the placement of windows, doors and vent slits. I am now thinking about making this an abandoned barn with a possible partial roof collapse. Not sure yet on that idea. Next will be to frame out the sides and openings.

Matt