An OMI brass caboose - also a good model?
Excellent collaborative effort! Looking forward to see how you will tackle the lantern challenge.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Matt!
Some things of detailing are done already, today I start with the "illumination" of caboose. I hope myself for a successful work!.
Then I will post some new pictures.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
Before lighting the caboose a small thing was added to the interior - a coffeepot!

[Image: nw_caboosecg-41k.jpg]

And there was the question how to hold the fresh painted caboose body without to damage the color - and know that I fix the models often with a very strong grasp. The idea of my friend is to build a small grip shell, card board workes well and insert a foam - this here is mine now.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-42k.jpg]

With this I inserted the window glasses and inside window frames and you can see also parts of the "lighting electric", capacitors and cables under the roof. (After finishing of caboose it's not looking so good because I made some corrections after the insight that the inner lighting by two gasoline lamps was a bit too dark.) So I would like to spare you a more view under the roof with a relatively disheveled wiring.
The view from outside with inserted window glasses ...

[Image: nw_caboosecg-43k.jpg]

... and the first view on the "lighted" caboose - both shown in WPF already in last days.

[Image: nw_caboosecg-46k.jpg]

I inserted two of these lanterns of the smaller type, only o.12in high (3mm) ...

[Image: oil-lamps_34.jpg]

... and both blowed while my attempts of increasing the brightness. Not so a good success but a chance to train the skillfulness with building such small items which must shine also at end.

What was to do yet?
Adding a stove inside, adding power pick-ups to the trucks, adding short chains to coupler lift rodas, connecting the prepared handbrake chains to the handbrake shaft, gluing the air brake hoses into prepared sleeves for the brake line and two or three things more, all was not many work but it needed more time as I thought.
Ready!

[Image: nw_caboosecg-51k.jpg]

[Image: nw_caboosecg-52k.jpg]

And then I discovered this date on the tool box - 12-23-59 while I have written this post! A typical lettering error of a friend who has not a real connection to my modeling around the thirties!

[Image: nw_caboosecg-52k-2.jpg]

Good, a first correction by photo-editing, my friend must remove this date with a last fine color handling!
At end of this work I must note that you can not see all the modeled details through the small windows. It's not too dark however there is a too small viewing angle because of size of windows. I have tried to shot some pictures through the windows and you can see - nothing! The only shadowy contour is seen on side view of caboose above where you can guess my train watcher from the caboose crew behind the right window of cupola. Unfortunately not a good success of my attempts with the interior. But I had not planned to give visitors a better view inside by a removable roof. This is a brass model where all parts of body are soldered together and there was not an intention to make a change thereon! At end it's as it is and the next caboose receives a lesser detailed interior, definitively!

Two more pictures of caboose with "its" engine yet, my N&W class M twelve-wheeler where I will start a new post in next days here ...

[Image: nw_caboosecg-60kk.jpg]

... and one more with my new SWIFT reefers, a next rebuilding project which will start if the new 36ft frames from Accurail will be available.

[Image: nw-swift-1k.jpg]

(Please do not remind me that these cars have a color scheme that was launched in 1949, however we ought to have sometimes also a bit freedom with our hobby, please.)
You can find a gallery with a lot pictures of the loco project on my website including many picture of prototype as a preview of a new post here and second also a first start of a new article about these SWIFT reefers on my website with a picture of prototype that I found with the great help of Doc Wayne and that was the base for my wish to own and rebuild such nice looking reefer models. There are some more reasons that I would like to build exactly these Swift reefer models, however that will you find in a later description.
Cheers, Bernd

You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
modelsof1900 Wrote:... - a coffeepot!

... that the inner lighting by two gasoline lamps was a bit too dark ...

... I inserted two of these lanterns of the smaller type, only o.12in high (3mm) ...

... and both blowed while my attempts of increasing the brightness. ...

... Adding a stove inside, ...

... At end of this work I must note that you can not see all the modeled details through the small windows. It's not too dark however there is a too small viewing angle because of size of windows. I have tried to shot some pictures through the windows and you can see - nothing! The only shadowy contour is seen on side view of caboose above where you can guess my train watcher from the caboose crew behind the right window of cupola. Unfortunately not a good success of my attempts with the interior. ... At end it's as it is and the next caboose receives a lesser detailed interior, definitively!
Bernd,
it looks great! Thumbsup
Great work! Worship
But it is a kind of Murphy's Law that most of the tiny details, made affectionatlely, carefully and with your great skills, vanished at least into the invisibility of the interior. It is a pity, but not to be changeable due seize and number of windows.

Cheers Lutz
Lutz, thanks!

How writes Sumpter250 in his signature:
"We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice."

And next time - everything will become better!
Cheers, Bernd