40 ford boneyard progress
Charlie B Wrote:
Dave Harris sctchbld Wrote:The running board covers & floormat are made of the foil from a cigarette pack, I knew there had to be some good come from being a smoker 357
I know the foil you are talking about. I think I managed to save about 20 empties before I quit. I'll have to hide them somewhere. I don't know where you would find the "quilted" foil with that small quilting anywhere else. I remember looking at it after you posted "over there" and marveling at how you came up with the idea to use it.
I think all of your ideas are so unique. The wheels and tires too.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie. Like every modeler I know we all look at most every thing we come across with an eye not for what it is but what it could be in 1/87 or 1/64 or 1/20 or whatever scale we like. If you need any foil let me know I get at least one liner a day ( and don't have a smokers cough either :mrgreen: )

As far as the wheels & tires, I think I have figured out how to make the "bent spoke" type like Kelsy Hayes, if it works I'll put some up.
Also I found that if you need O rings for tires that if you have a Fastenal store near you they have them DIRT cheap !! I got some at an industrial hardware store ( which was less than an auto parts house ) but they were still 21 cents apiece. Went to Fastenal & got them for a DOLLAR & change a HUNDRED !!

Have I posted enough or you still want to see more junk?
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
That's some terrific modeling, Dave. I always wondered what scale Hot Wheels are. I like your beat-up vehicles.

I thought you might like to see a truck I worked my magic on for a peanut butter lid diorama I made a while back. I got 5 HO scale Life Like '53 Ford trucks in one pack. There are 2 of them in this pic, the red and the green one.

[Image: bigPpeeks.jpg]

I wanted an abandoned truck that kids were playing on (like I use to do when I was a kid). So I cut the hood and the doors off and scratch built the details.

[Image: IMG_6693.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6699.jpg]

The seat is carved from balsa wood.

[Image: IMG_6696.jpg]

The truck just before paint.

[Image: IMG_6704.jpg]

I wanted to animate my PBL diorama so the truck is mounted on an axis under the center of the body and in each of the 2 log blocks. In this next pic you can see the pin/axis in the side/top of the log. the blocks are glued to a sheet of basswood and you can see the actuator wire that comes up through the bass wood, bends and goes through the frame and this makes it rock up and down.

[Image: IMG_6827.jpg]

Once finished and surrounded by junk it looks like this.

[Image: Iinsidejunkpile2.jpg]

[Image: Kjunkintruck.jpg]

[Image: Ljunkbytruck.jpg]

[Image: Fdudeontruck2.jpg]

Here is a link to a video of the diorama in motion in case you're interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJIXvP6BsEA&fmt=18

Here is a video about how the mechanism works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFxzEdBMR48&fmt=18

Christopher [Image: thclown.gif]
Clowning around with trains.

[Image: BusterA.jpg]
WOWIE!!! What a FANTASTIC job & in HO at that. I thought S was small but HO????

Do you give lessons?? or do I just have to steal ideas --- there are a LOT to steal & I WILL Icon_twisted
I could not get the video to open m but I'll try again I DO want to see it.
Thanks for sharing you great modeling. Thumbsup
This is frustrating I had to relog in 4 times to get posted
Christopher,
Thanks for the wonderful addition. This will be one of the top threads here before long. Ideas aplenty. GREAT!
Charlie
Here are some progress pics on the Packard , as Charlie called it, a "classic" 357

Whoa! Hold up! This car is still restorable... Icon_lol
Man I am having fits trying to post . If this works its the sixth time, it keeps logging me out in the middle!!
Those are fantastic, I would love to see more of these! Maybe a small howto while doing one would be great! 35
Now I got to figure out how to do that in N-Scale Eek Wallbang
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
well lets see if a no picture post will work. Ezdays is working on finding out whats wrong.
OK a plain post worked but when I tried to pick up a quote from jmksbery I got kicked out again.
jmarksbery Wrote:Those are fantastic, I would love to see more of these! Maybe a small howto while doing one would be great! 35
Now I got to figure out how to do that in N-Scale Eek Wallbang

Now perhaps a quote will work? Lets see if it will also take a smilie? Smile

What would you like to see in a how to?
Nope A picture got me kick off again & then a plain post would not work . I logged off & reopened the whole board , lets see what happens now .
Really amazing!! I'm sure it takes a lot of careful planning and effort to be able to "junk" these vehicles and have them look so realistic. I don't recall seing a "Hudson" pick up, but I [i]do[i] recall Studebaker trucks. I've also seen a Cord and a "Gold Lion" series De Soto.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:Really amazing!! I'm sure it takes a lot of careful planning and effort to be able to "junk" these vehicles and have them look so realistic. I don't recall seing a "Hudson" pick up, but I [i]do[i] recall Studebaker trucks. I've also seen a Cord and a "Gold Lion" series De Soto.

Thanks, glad you like them. Hudson made trucks for years, I am building another a 1951 . I'll post a pic of the prototype & my efforts to duplicate it so far on the "Packard" post because despite all dons ( Ezdays) efforts I still can't post pictures in this thread.
Whats a "Gold Lion" Desoto?