Pandorum Stage II
Easiest way if there is no Export command or Save As command that lets you save as JPG, is to make a screenshot. On a PC try the Print screen button on your keyboard. Then paste into a graphic editor (or even Word). You will probably have to crop the screenshot to focus in on the plan.
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
So far, none of my attempts at anything have worked, so I am experimenting with taking a digital image of the screen with my camera and posting it that way.

This is enough to make me seriously consider becoming a Luddite. :evil:
Since you are not specifying your OS, I will assume that you are on Microsoft Windows. People using other OS'es generally don't make the assumption that people will know what OS they are on.

1) In XtrkCad, click on menu "File", click on "export to bitmap", check "print borders", click OK, find a place to save the file and give it a name
2) Open the BMP file you just saved in some program - say Windows Fax and Image viewer or similar (right click on file, choose open with)
3) Do a screen shot (alt+PrtScr).
4) Start e.g. Microsoft paint, paste screen shot (Ctrl+V)
5) Save as file type jpg
6) To attach file to post, when writing post on Big Blue - click on tab "Upload attachment" when writing post, upload file

Stein
steinjr Wrote:Since you are not specifying your OS, I will assume that you are on Microsoft Windows. People using other OS'es generally don't make the assumption that people will know what OS they are on.

1) In XtrkCad, click on menu "File", click on "export to bitmap", check "print borders", click OK, find a place to save the file and give it a name
2) Open the BMP file you just saved in some program - say Windows Fax and Image viewer or similar (right click on file, choose open with)
3) Do a screen shot (alt+PrtScr).
4) Start e.g. Microsoft paint, paste screen shot (Ctrl+V)
5) Save as file type jpg
6) To attach file to post, when writing post on Big Blue - click on tab "Upload attachment" when writing post, upload file

Stein

God grief... Wallbang
MountainMan Wrote:God grief... Wallbang

What part did you not understand?

a) to export an image from XtrkCad, use the option "Export to bitmap" from the file menu
b) to upload a file to Big Blue, use the tab "Upload attachment" or
c) it might be smart to convert the file from format .bmp to format .jpg (and resize it) before uploading

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:God grief... Wallbang

What part did you not understand?

a) to export an image from XtrkCad, use the option "Export to bitmap" from the file menu
b) to upload a file to Big Blue, use the tab "Upload attachment" or
c) it might be smart to convert the file from format .bmp to format .jpg (and resize it) before uploading

Smile,
Stein

I was a medical practitioner for thirty years. Hold on while I give you a set or written instructions for emergency life saving abdominal surgery. After your patient dies, you can tell me what part YOU didn't understand. Icon_lol
I could go into a dissertation on how a Magnetron actually produces microwaves, or describe how a Waveguide Duplexer works, or draw the full schematic of a full adder ( computer circuit), and describe, one clock pulse at a time, how it adds, subtracts, multiplies, and divides, uses the carry register, the input registers, and the output register.
There may be one or two who would be able to "understand".
But, but, I know it, therefore everyone should know it !! NOT.
It is called " Common Knowledge Syndrome", and it is the root of most misunderstandings. It was one of the hardest lessons I had to learn, before I could begin to be a good instructor.
I am sure that if I were to use the term "Flemish Horse", Someone, somewhere, would want to know what the odds were that it would win.
Wikipedia defines it: A flemish horse is a footrope on a square rigged sailing ship that is found at the extreme outer end of the yard.
Unless I knew that someone was a ship modeler, or maritime historian, I would not expect them to "understand" what a Flemish Horse was, but it is as much a part of my "professional language", as "Good morning" is a part of my "everyday language".
Let's all try to remember, "Common knowledge", isn't as "common" as we might think it is. Wink
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
That situation often arises when tecs write user manuals....They pre-suppose the reader wil be as familiar as themselves with the subject at hand... NOT..!!
Gus (LC&P).
MountainMan Wrote:I was a medical practitioner for thirty years. Hold on while I give you a set or written instructions for emergency life saving abdominal surgery. After your patient dies, you can tell me what part YOU didn't understand. Icon_lol

Okay, so your basic complaint is that the instructions were too simple for you. Duly noted.

Now, how about posting that image of your track plan?

Smile,
Stein
Personally for me, I always find it easier to have some one show me computer tricks then to follow written directions. Different people have different learning styles, I guess. :?
Ralph Wrote:Personally for me, I always find it easier to have some one show me computer tricks then to follow written directions. Different people have different learning styles, I guess. :?
Sometimes we need to go even a step further. My wife, for instance, I can show her how to use the remote for the TV, but she won't learn until she actually does it with me telling her which buttons to push and when. The same goes for showing her how to use the computer for simple things. We are always in awe with how some people do their job. You might find a brain surgeon staring out the window watching someone skillfully operating a crane or digger at a construction site and wondering how he does it so well, or a pilot envious of a computer programmer because of their skills while overlooking their own. Different strokes for different folks is how the saying goes.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:Personally for me, I always find it easier to have some one show me computer tricks then to follow written directions. Different people have different learning styles, I guess. :?
Sometimes we need to go even a step further. My wife, for instance, I can show her how to use the remote for the TV, but she won't learn until she actually does it with me telling her which buttons to push and when. The same goes for showing her how to use the computer for simple things. We are always in awe with how some people do their job. You might find a brain surgeon staring out the window watching someone skillfully operating a crane or digger at a construction site and wondering how he does it so well, or a pilot envious of a computer programmer because of their skills while overlooking their own. Different strokes for different folks is how the saying goes.

I'm like your wife..Show me how its done on a computer and I can do it.I never did completely understand a VCR beyond play ,fast forward,reverse,pause and record.

There are many modelers that are good at scenery,locomotive details,weathering etc while they don't have the foggiest clue how a railroad operates.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
steinjr Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:I was a medical practitioner for thirty years. Hold on while I give you a set or written instructions for emergency life saving abdominal surgery. After your patient dies, you can tell me what part YOU didn't understand. Icon_lol

Okay, so your basic complaint is that the instructions were too simple for you. Duly noted.

Now, how about posting that image of your track plan?

Smile,
Stein

No...not "too simple"...just didn't apply or work with my set-up, which BTW uses Win7. I tried to follow your instructions, but they didn't work in the real world. However, you might want to avoid making the mistake of thinking I'm an idiot on that basis. Icon_lol

Why don't I just go ahead and "post that image of my track plan"? Where have you been during this entire discussion, which is about my unsuccessful efforts to do exactly that? Wallbang
Okay, now we at least know your operating system. We still do not know in any useful detail how far the instructions worked.

Win 7 specific instructions:

1) Open XtrkCad, load plan
2) Click on File | Export to BMP, save file on C:\temp\myplan.bmp
3) Close Xtrkcad

4) Click on Windows start button in lower left hand corner, click into edit box "search programs and files", type mspaint C:\temp\myplan.bmp, press ENTER
5) You now have your bmp file open in Micosoft paint

6) Click on icon named "resize" (fourth column from left, two from top),
select "pixels" instead of "percent", enter 640 in the box that says "horizontal", click OK
7) Click on pulldown menu in upper left hand corner, choose "save as", select "JPEG image", enter file name C:\temp\myplan.jpg

Come back and ask followup questions if this doesn't work. Tell us at what step things fail, what you do, what error messages you get and so on and so forth.

Stein
Temps outside were 114 degrees yesterday. Temps inside trailer have rendered it impossible to work on it for the time being until I locate a suitable air conditioning unit.

Meanwhile, I struggle on with the track plan and my XTrkCaD dyslexia. Sad