In the South
P5se Camelback Wrote:Neat stuff, Reinhard, just as I expected.

The "Fantasy/Medieval Lords" windows that kept opening on top of your page were somewhat annoying, though! I'm going to have to tweek my Norton Internet Security .... it usually blocks anything like that!

But your model work is, as always, so well done! Wunder werken! Thumbsup
Thank you for the friendly comment. The web space is hosted by http://www.funpic.de/. They are free of charge for me. They run on advertisement only ("kostenlos" = free of charge). Sorry for the inconvenience.
Reinhard
No problem ... once I had beaten down the kostenlos with a very large sword of my own, I very much enjoyed yor photos and bookmarked the spot so I can go back and enjoy it and refer to it at a later date.

Danka!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I did open an account with photobucket to have at least the current images visible. Thanks for pointing me to photobucket.

This is the link to my very first album with that provider. Hope it works as designed (I don't know the design...)
http://s966.photobucket.com/albums/ae149...e%20South/
Reinhard
WAY TO GO, Reinhard! Thumbsup

Start it off with a big splash! Your photos are awesome! I have bookmarked your album and will view it when I need to see some inspirational images!

If you have any problems dealing with the old "copy and paste" let me know, but is is probably much like the site you have in Germany.

Woo Hoo! Good Stuff!! Worship
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
A test how to get a skyline out of the web, print it and cut it out. It looks not too bad. I did print it in draft mode to have no crisp and clear colors and lines.
Any idea what city has been picked? Hint, it is one of my favorite cities 357

[Image: Img_0193.jpg?t=1280690141]

ps. My primary and old homepage is still down.
Reinhard
Is that Dallas?
biL

Several of those buildings lokk VERY VERY familiar....

And I love your idea! I was thinking I wanted the distant downtown skyline somewhere on my backdrop too. I don't remember who, but someone had painted a building skyline on a backdrop, I think it was here at the Gauge. The buildings were not detailed, just the hazy outlines, and it looked really good. Your buildings lookk good too!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Yes, Houston is the town with that skyline. It was easy for Gary but Dallas is close!
This is the link http://www.isa.org/isaexpo2006/leaderfil...kyline.jpg The image is huge (3320 × 2581 - 5849 KB) and permits to be printed in parts to get the right size.

I proceeded searching the web for possible backdrop pieces to continue my center road. I searched for "highway overpass". It is not perfect but it was done in 5 minutes. I think it is a promising approach.
[Image: Img_0194.jpg?t=1280695092]
Reinhard
Those backdrop photos are wonderful! I think the highway overpass looks great. It seems to be at the right angle and perspective and the image seems a little hazy as it would in the distance. Nice!

Ralph
Yeah! I agree with Ralph, that turned out great. And it is reminiscent of scenes in the older industrial areas in Houston, with the overhead freeways. Keep up the good work Reinhard, I'll be using these ideas and needing your input once I start adding this stuff to my layout.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
That looks really great, Reinhard, especially with another overpass in the hazy distance!

I just wonder what the plan is for when the journey that took you out of the Thirties and working forward in "several-years-at-a-time leaps" finally arrives at 2010 ... what happens then? :?:
biL

A few clicks in the web, print and glue, another background and we are far away from Houston... Albert Hammond made a prominent but false statement about that area some years ago Misngth

[Image: Img_0211.jpg?t=1281537725]

Just kidding... it's back to Houston
Reinhard
I am going one further step to a LAJ layout and did adjust the left background accordingly. I understood the last Silos have been removed some time ago and they had a very different shape, much slimmer and taller than the Walthers silos. I got a batch of LAJ photos and did pick common characteristics as a guideline. The long segmented building wall with only one door does really exist. The white pipe on supports is a black cable in the prototype. There is nothing more on the entire wall.
There would have been the space to have buildings with a depth of about 4" between track and wall. I took the chance and made very thin background buildings and left the space "empty". I am still astound how much "empty" space can be found even in an congested industrial area like Vernon.
Another building to be erected left of the hoppers will be served by the tracks building a V.

[Image: Img_0333.jpg?t=1282691477]
Reinhard
Yes Reinhard, it used to amaze me when I first moved back to Southern California to go over a bridge on the freeway and look out over Los Angeles and see how many grain elevators are scattered around Vernon, City of Commerce, and South Central L.A. I think all of the major grocery chains in So. Cal have a bakery for store brand bread and bakery goods somewhere in the L.A. area. Then in addition their are the brand name bakeries that also have elevators or silos for flour and tanks for corn syrup. I always thought of grain elevators as something you would see in the midwest, but there are really a lot of them here. I suspect it is similar in most big cities in the USA.
The next building has been put (but not finally placed) on the left side of the layout
[Image: Img_0336.jpg?t=1282840525]

This results in a very clean left side. I will have to do a lot of details to get it realistic.
[Image: Img_0338.jpg?t=1282840565]
Reinhard