L&N Industrial Rail Spur
My new HO layout will scale out at 1,465.5 long with the varying from 24" to 30" with a 90 degree turn at roughly the half way point.I'm thinking it will be quite the challenge to make it believable so threads like this are going to be most useful once I start building. Thumbsup
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Mike Kieran Wrote:A layout with 2 industries could work. A furniture plant and a food processor could allow for a wide variety of freight cars.

Yes,it could work but,for me I found it to boring after 6 months..

I did like my one large industry with its own switcher..I was kept busy pulling empty reefers and replacing them with loaded reefers.

A lot of fun with a Mantua "Little 6" 0-6-0T and 40' reefers.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I don't think that it would get any less boring than a multi industry layout. multiple sidings (different tracks for the loading/unloading of various types of rolling stock), especially if the same track handles the various cars. A lot of back and forth action.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:I don't think that it would get any less boring than a multi industry layout. multiple sidings (different tracks for the loading/unloading of various types of rolling stock), especially if the same track handles the various cars. A lot of back and forth action.

A multi industry ISL gives you a better option on what industry to switch unlike a 2 industry ISL that leaves a slimmer choice.

IMHO and based on my experience my ISLs needs at least 4 industries and a team/transload track for best operation options.

Of course every modelers ISL operational needs varies.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Variety in tastes is what makes this hobby great. Who wants all of the layouts to be the same. Shortliner called me on it, caboose shove short lines.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Shortliner called me on it, caboose shove short lines.
--------------------------------------------------
Mike,A lot of short lines doesn't own a caboose so,they use a noisy caboose instead or find a way of running around their train.

A noisy caboose is a engine on the end of a train..This eliminates the need for time consuming runaround moves and cabooses used on long reverse moves back to the yard.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

But caboose shove layouts don't need DCC. Cheers Icon_lol
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:But caboose shove layouts don't need DCC. Cheers Icon_lol

Agreed .I'll take a "quiet" caboose over a" noisy" caboose any day.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

BTW Ed,

I love the track plan.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Seems Ed's idea and track plans are still much loved... I love this thread, loads of prototypical discussion that helps someone like me model USAa from 1000's of miles away.
Watching the progress of Rscott417's NY&A ISL layout http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7594 and a few other switching layouts, has inspired me to come up with a new track plan for my own layout:     As before, benchwork is 18 inches deep and 20 feet long. The track has been temporarily laid and I can operate the layout to test out the new plan.

You'll quickly notice that this plan contains a runaround track, which sort of crowds the industrial area, but does allow the locomotive to lead the train both entering and leaving the main switching area. This plan would represent the end of a branch off the main line and was more or less inspired by the L&E Spur in Winchester, KY, on the former L&N (Google aerial view - follow the line going off toward the east/southeast: http://goo.gl/maps/DwLU7). Of course this is freelance, so it's not supposed to be in any particular location and I have yet to think up a good name for the branch.

I only have four industries on this plan, which I've found to be just right for a layout this size and provides for plenty of switching as each industry has specific car spots, and because of the types of industries, usually have all spots occupied, which results in re-spots and re-blocking of inbound cars per industry instructions.

As with all my layout plans, the train is staged on the left side of the plan in a "scenery only" area, rather than a bare staging plank or area, and the street overpass helps to separate the staging from the main part of the layout and give the illusion of the train coming from/going to "someplace".

The industries, which are all based on actual industries served by the L&N and located in various towns in Kentucky (left to right) are:

1) Kern's Bakery: 2 car spots - receives flour in Airslide hoppers
2) Fast Food Merchandisers: 3 car spots - receives box cars of dry food products and refrigerator cars of french fries, meat, and produce.
3) Packaging Unlimited: 4 car spots - receives box cars of cardboard for producing corrugated box product packaging for various businesses.
4) Dixie Transload: 5 car spots - receives general service tank cars of cooking oils (and possibly corn syrup tank cars); covered hoppers of animal/poultry feed or fertilizer; occasional box car loads of beer, lumber, bagged fertilizer, and other miscellaneous products; all for off-line customers.

The current industries also allow for all my equipment types which is a plus and provides for a lot of box car cars too, which is a must for me and correct for my layout era (1977-1984) with the numerous colorful short line and Railbox IPD box cars. Best of all, none of that horrid looking spray paint graffiti on everything and cars that look like they should be going to the scrapper rather than a customer!

First operating session was conducted last night with a 6 car train consisting of 1 car to place/pull at Kern's, 2 cars to place/pull at FFM, 2 cars to place/pull at Packaging Unlimited; and 1 car to place/pull from Dixie Transload. Took almost an hour and a half to complete the session and without any "time killing" other than waiting a couple of seconds between moves and of course operating at scale speeds. Appropriately for my era, the train uses a caboose and that of course adds some extra moves to get the caboose on the rear of the train for the return trip.

Of course not every industry will be switched every session and thus I can vary the length of operating sessions to suit my frame of mind on any given day. Will try out several different operating sessions and see how it goes. Maybe, just maybe, this plan will suit me and I can do some real work on it and start a new layout progress thread.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed,I like that design since it has enough head room and room to work. Thumbsup .
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Hi Ed. I think your latest version of L&N IRS is the best so far.

With 20ft available a run around looks just right and you can't beat seeing a train slowly arriving with the loco leading.

I do hope you are able to progress this plan into a a full blown layout.

You layout ideas always give me inspiration to start planning a new layout.

Mal
Layout videos - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1">http://www.youtube.com/user/Alcanman1</a><!-- m -->

New Westbrook <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8888</a><!-- l -->
Nice to see the L&N Industrial Rail Spur is still alive in a new incarnation. I hope this version works out for you.
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Appreciate the comments Larry, Mal, and Stephen. Have operated the layout about 3 times today and so far am quite pleased with how it's going. Of course being able to operate it and having a few structure mockups on it to get a feel for how it might look has its drawbacks. Nothing gets done, except running trains! Which is of course my main interest. But I find myself envisioning how this or that might look and what individual structures could look like and that is inspiring me to keep working at it.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"