joefryfry's layout - The Waynesburg Southern
nomad Wrote:Gonna be nice Thumbsup Trains on those broad curves in back will look good !
Just curios, how did you fasten the helix to the table?

Loren

The helix is pretty simple, hence the complex yet unproved design. it may fail in the long run, and I have accepted that. Anyways, the wood, I cut full circles at 13 in outside radius and 11 in inside radius. I laid track following the outside edge, which allowed me to place the bolts on the inside, which gave me clearance in and out. I just calculated the number of bolt turns to get me grade , dividing by 8 (the number of bolts). On the bottom, under the table, I just pust a nut? Not sure if that answeres your quest?
"You did NOT cut a hole in the wall for the train, did you?" - the wife
The Waynesburg Southern
Blue Mountain Aerial Mapping
Uncle "Joe"-we're VERY impressed with your progress and can't wait to see it go through the wall! We're sure the dogs are happy as well! train
wgrider Wrote:Nice job , I'd give an A for the helix. It'll be interesting to see what you do with the upper level for the helix entrance.

It's just going to come off the helix out through a tunnel and over a deck girder bridge like the ones on the prototype, then it will just go in a reverse loop and back over the bridge and down the helix. I was considering having a turnout at the end of the helix on top and have an elevated track go straight through the wall giving me an already raised track in the expansion area. I just couldn't envision that being a part of what I plan for the other side of the wall. I reserve the right to change my mind on that.
The Waynesburg Southern
joefryfry Wrote:
nomad Wrote:Gonna be nice Thumbsup Trains on those broad curves in back will look good !
Just curios, how did you fasten the helix to the table?

Loren

The helix is pretty simple, hence the complex yet unproved design. it may fail in the long run, and I have accepted that. Anyways, the wood, I cut full circles at 13 in outside radius and 11 in inside radius. I laid track following the outside edge, which allowed me to place the bolts on the inside, which gave me clearance in and out. I just calculated the number of bolt turns to get me grade , dividing by 8 (the number of bolts). On the bottom, under the table, I just pust a nut? Not sure if that answeres your quest?

Come to think of it, the bolts had a big round head on them, I just put a the bolt up through, put a nut on there and twisted the bolt until the nut sucked right through the foam and down to the wood. It worked better than I thought it would.
The Waynesburg Southern
Thanks Joe. That's what I thought.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Here's Phase V. I'm not too happy with it and the upper level is probably going to be modified. I don't recommend this bridge unless you have modeling skill, which I don't, and a tremendous amount of patience. And laying N flex track is no picnic compared to HO. I will have to admit, I threw some things. But then I felt better. Here's a pic.

[Image: PhaseV.JPG]
The Waynesburg Southern
joefryfry Wrote:I will have to admit, I threw some things. But then I felt better.
[Image: PhaseV.JPG]

As long as what you threw were only tools, and maybe the cat, and not any trains, I'd say you're good.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:As long as what you threw were only tools, and maybe the cat, and not any trains, I'd say you're good.

The cat didn't survive to make the move to this house Sad I threw some flex track then beat it off the washer, like a madman.

I uploaded a video to youtube. I'll post a link when it is available. I am having a problem with one of the reverse loops. There is a loop on the lower level that is wired the same way, both with MRC reversers that worked fine on my HO layout. But on this upper level, the train always goes into the loop fine, but stalls on the way out, something pulsates, and then it goes. I may have the insulated gaps too close to the turnout, but I would like some feedback before I start pulling things up. Wait to see the video before you comment. Thanks.
The Waynesburg Southern
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZnSNUzOfE

Here's a link to the video of the problem.
The Waynesburg Southern
I'm just barely learning autoreversers, but I remember someone in my club saying that sometimes that if the train isn't carrying enough power it won't be strong enough to activate the reverser. It working in HO but not N might be a sign of that. But I could be completely wrong.
Scott
Hmm. My HO layout had 2 reversers, and 3 engines going well on the same power pack. I now have two reversers and one engine, but your comment makes my thinking a little different, but what could I do about it? Thanks.
The Waynesburg Southern
Could you get a relay from Radio Shack and use that to "throw the switch" on the reverser - power it from another transformer or something?
Brutus Wrote:Could you get a relay from Radio Shack and use that to "throw the switch" on the reverser - power it from another transformer or something?

I don't know that much about wiring. I guess since they worked so well on the last layout, I didn't really have to figure anything out. I've removed the helix and already laid down an incline which basically leaves the layout the same. It will still loop around on the right side. This will solve two flaws that I had with the original design. I fogot that I had two reversers from Tony's trains that I never used, so i think I'm going to try one of those. Problem is, I have to locate them. Since we moved last fall, all of my train stuff was just boxed up and put in one area of a large storage room that we have. Even with the work I've done so far, it's just go find what I need. I still haven't reorganized my train goods.
The Waynesburg Southern
Great start.
That helix looks well done, very professional job so far, keep up the good work.
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
The Digitrax auto reverse has a trim pot to modify the sensitivity for switching the polarity... if your using that one, then you could just adjust it so it makes the switch properly. It works great with the MRC system that I see your using (I use their entry level Prodigy Express unit myself)

I see you built the same bridge I did, looks great!
-------------------------------------
-Luke
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://greatfallsrr.blogspot.com/">http://greatfallsrr.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...212#p15212 = Traction of the Pacific South Eastern