2-8-2 - THE BUILD
Always glad to help out when I can, Gus. Wink

Wayne
Gus....I can not imagine even attempting that! Eek
It looks you are doing a fine job however. Thumbsup Looking forward to seeing you progress.

Keep up the great work!!!
Steve
Steamtrains Wrote:Just a quick update so's you'll know I haven't been "bumming" on this project.... Goldth
I've finished pre-installing all the goodies this baby is going to have, (there's a compressor that will go on the firebox, but I busted the mounting pin Curse , so that will be "surface mounted")....I'll move next to do the piping and painting. I got a bunch of other "goodies" ( about $50 worth, plus shipping)...to dress up the engine some more (hoses, number boards and a couple of other things for the tender), that won't go on until she's finished....

Question....Is there some kind of piping going to the generator...?

Stay tuned, there's more to come...

The plastic compressor on the firebox may not hold well with just glue and no mounting pin. I think it was Dr Wayne who mentioned drilling a hole in a project he was working on and a small hole in the back of the detail casting and using a short piece of wire as a replacement mounting pin to help strengthen the mount.
Here I am again....Need some help.. :oops:
I've lost count of the hours I've spent on the net looking for a "workable" back-up light to place on the tender, and have yet to find one. This is a "must-have"...
I've looked in all the "name brand" sites, and some not too well known, but have drawn a blank... Wallbang
Anyone have any ideas..??
Gus (LC&P).
Can you point to a picture of the backup light you're looking for? Or maybe a description? I'd say check the usual sources of details like Bowser, or see if your LHS has a Precision Scale Catalog (unless you want to pay $20 for your own copy). If Precision Scale doesn't have it, then good chance nobody does, or some obscure, out of business detail parts manuf. made it at one time in which case ebay may be the best chance you have.

I can comisserate about drilling through zamac. I drilled out a hole in order to wire a headlight in my Mantua shifter using a larger bit from within the boiler drilling up toward the headlight position, and a smaller one to drill down from the headlight bracket and meet the other hole somewhere in the middle. Lo and behold, like tunneling from each side of a mountain, it worked! I know Wayne doesn't worry with working headlights, but I like 'em. Still, after all that drilling (and by hand with a pair of pin vises) and the resulting hot-spot on my palm and fingers, I'm half tempted to go that route too!

Good luck on the headlight search.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Steamtrains Wrote:Here I am again....Need some help.. :oops:
I've lost count of the hours I've spent on the net looking for a "workable" back-up light to place on the tender, and have yet to find one. This is a "must-have"...
I've looked in all the "name brand" sites, and some not too well known, but have drawn a blank... Wallbang
Anyone have any ideas..??

A photo of the one you want would help - I have a Precision Scale catalogue and also one from Cal-Scale and I'm sure we can find what you need. As for illuminating it, you're probably on your own, at least from my vantage point. Wink Goldth

Wayne
At the Western Prototype Modeler's meet in San Bernardino a few months ago I was talking to representatives from one of the detail manufacturers, he said that they kept coming out with new details all of the time. They actually came out with new details faster than they could update the web site, let alone update a printed catalog. Your best bet might be to send out email inquiries to the various detail manufacturers with a pic of what you are looking for including measurements if they are available, to see if someone has the part but it isn't listed in a catalog yet.
Yes, Russ, but are they coming out with new STEAM details all the time? Maybe the latest GEVO genset antenna or something like that, but I doubt anyone except PSC or a mom & pop manufacturer is coming out with any new steam details. I'd love it to be true...

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
OK...Here's a pic of the light on my P2K 0-8-0. This is the kind of light I'm looking for. This one has "side-lights", which I really don't need. If the light can be "upgraded" to take a LED or bulb, that's all I need. Thanks for your help.... Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
Cal-Scale offers several similar ones, including HL-202, -203, -207, and -210, while PSC shows 3493, 3189, 31291, 31290, 31920, 31919, 32380, and 32482.

If you'd like, I can e-mail scans of the catalogue pages, as there are many others from which to choose. I've listed only ones which are fairly plain, but there are lots of others with visors, various numberboards, or unusual styles. Don't forget that many roads used what we would normally think of as headlights.
Some of the PSC ones come pre-cored and with bulbs, too.

I believe I also have one of those which you show in the photo above.

Wayne
Wayne....Thanks for the offers. If you could do me the favor of shooting me a copy of those pages that'd be great..!! Thumbsup I'll be needing a few more for some other engines that I'd like to put them onto.
Been working...Managed to put a pipe extension towards the tender from the CW pump. Drilling a tiny hole in the narrow face of the pump was tricky, but I managed to do it without breaking the bit or ruining the pump...!! 2285_
Next comes running the CW pipe towards the FWH, although it won't go up to it, it'll go under the cladding right behind the smoke box.

Les...I had to tap the thread for the screw that holds the headlight bracket. Since I don't have such a tiny tap, I used the screw itself as a tap. Only took about 2 hours, as I couldn't turn the screw but a tiny fraction of an inch before it got clogged. So i had to back it out, clean it, and go back to it. This using a small Phillips screwdriver....My fingers were sore for a couple of days... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Hello Gus!

This is the way how i made my lights:

[Image: dsc01211qbfq.jpg]

There is a simple 3mm LED "Golden Sunny White". Some aluminium tube of suitable diameter, some plstic tube to fix the LED inside of the alu tube and some sheet of clear plastic (not seen in this picture).
Glueing the LED into the alu tube.
Then glueing the premount on the plain clear plastic sheet.
After drying cut the plastic sheet around the lamp, file it so it will give an smoot edge to the casing.
Now it is time to to some ornamental an detailing work.
Made a mounting socket for the light housing.
If you have to go through a metal casing made insulation for both pins from wire insulation (that are just the pieces of insulation you usually throw away)

So looks an light ready done:
[Image: dsc02165in9w.jpg]
This old beasty 0-6-0 is an antique Roundhouse switcher, one of my first attempts to US modelling.

Visors can easily made by grinding the alu tube to shape.
Still better is an brass or pewter casting.
In this case i drilled through the backside of the lamp housing with an 3mm drill.
Also i removed the collar of the LED.

This is the solution with brass casting and insulated LEDs pins:
[Image: dsc01023yfsa.jpg]
Look only to the light.

Hope i could help you.

Greetings Lutz
Lutz...Thanks for that tutorial.... Thumbsup
I had thought about doing something like that. I still may try it.
Those are great examples of detailing...But I could not help looking at the rest of the brass castings. That engine ha's got more plumbing on her than the Titanic... Goldth

Excellent work..!!
Gus (LC&P).
Schraddel Wrote:... Look only to the light. ... Greetings, Lutz

Oh, c'mon, Lutz! Surely you jest ... "Look only at the light?!!!!" I'm sure you have got to be kidding!

Impossible!

What splendid added detail!
And I don't think you've forgotten one single pipe!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Questions, questions....Will it ever stop..?? Nope

This week's theme will be "wires"...
I'm looking to get wire stock for the piping, both steam, sand and handrails. I saw several sizes and different material wires on Bowser's web site, unfortunately they don't give a hint as to what they're suitable for. So...I turn to you guys to set me straight on this....Pretty please.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).