Harrington.
Hi Brian,

Yes the layout will be at TVNAM again in 2011 and at Nottingham in March in an improved and extended format. There should also be a little more weathering and foliage added.
Very nice work! My compliments on some great scenes. The track work, and added grass...the building placement and overall scenes really look great. Well done. Cheers
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Can`t wait to see it again.

Brian 2285_
I've managed to get some time working on Harrington today, the back-scene board has been reworked/lengthened to include the extension to the Loco Servicing area. I have been experimenting with a photo back-scene purchase recently. Although British in origin, with a few carefully placed structure and vehicles I think this could work. As always, your comments are very welcome:

The illusion is perfect on the top most photo Thumbsup I looked at the photo and read your text "working on.." and I thought what is he talking about, it is the prototype!
When you raised the position of the camera the illusion becomes destroyed as the perspective becomes unaligned. However, it is very close to perfection if the observer's position is like the camera on the both top photos.
Reinhard
Nice layout Jez. Thumbsup It needs to be a little dirtier though... Confusedhock: Misngth

That first photo on this page had me going. I thought you had taken your layout outside some where and photographed it in front of a convincing outdoor industrial back drop.

Nice work indeed. Big Grin
The last photo, ( and very possibly the "normal view" of someone standing in front and looking at the layout ) is the definitive "excuse" for not using photo backdrops.
With the gaming technology that's available today, I can imagine that in the not too distant future, we might be able to have backgrounds projected with a system that notes the eye level of the viewer, and adjusts the perspective accordingly.
Until then, we just have to do the best we can.
The first two photos are outstanding !!!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
When being exhibited, the layout sits 42 inches high, slightly higher than the last 3 pictures were taken. Over half the background is covered by this low-relief warehouse:

Although the layout is 9ft long, there is a scenic break for the hidden siding about three and a half foot from one end, the low-relief warehouse and then an open area behind the loco servicing area - this is the area I am trying to blend in. I think with the layout height and length, I should get away with it. I will post more pictures once its all together.

On the weathering front, I have managed to weather the Transrail shed. Just a little subtle weathering around the concrete base and roof, as it would seem the real building, although out of use, stays rather clean:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3057">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3057</a><!-- l -->
I finally managed to get some time on the layout - Harrington Industrial Plastics is all but finished - I may add a little more weathering and details:

Next up is to finish the loco servicing area.
Great work! I love the security cameras on the main building, nice touch.
John
JohnyBotto Wrote:Great work! I love the security cameras on the main building, nice touch.
We are waiting for the webcam live stream, aren't we?

I like the round tanks/silos. They are so different from all the Walthers standard stuff. They look like scratch build. They triggered another idea in my brain because they have the dimensions of similar wheat silos at a bakery in Vernon.
Reinhard
Hi Reinhard,

The silos are from the Walthers Magic Pan Bakeries kit and Plastic Pellet kit. They have been modified/kit-bashed.

Thanks for the positive comments folks.

Jez
Looking good, i`m liking the back scene photos,ties it together and adds some depth.
Also the silos hide the run off to the staging area nicely.

Regards
Brian
I really admire your scenes! The security cameras are a nice modern detail! Thumbsup
Ralph
Great switching layout and so many good ideas Thumbsup
Did you post any track plan of it?
We're now waiting for the pictures of the diesel service area Wink

By the way, from which manufacturer is the BNSF box car in front of the transloading shed?

Daniel