Your Railroad Book Library
** The books I am interest in tend to favorite railroads around and at the turn of the century. Pertaining to before and after the year 1900. That is where my modeling has gone to in the last 3 years. My little library reflects this. The author I have the most books by is E.P.Alexander. I have seven." Iron Horse ", 1829-1900. "American Locomotives", 1900-1950. "Down at the Depot", 1831-1920. "On The Main Line", PRR in 19th Century. "Civil War Railroads and Models". "Collectors Book of locomotives". "The Pennsylvania Railroad" complete the seven. Alexander to me favored one of my favorite railroads, the Pennsylvania Railroad. Other PRR books I have are, "I Remember the Pennsy" by Don Wood. "Pennsy Steam and Semaphores", by Fred Westing. " History of the PRR", by Timothy Jacobs. "PRR Hudson the Horseshoe" , William D. Volkmer. "The PRR 1940-1950", By Don Ball Jr..

* I have been lucky in the last year of finding some interesting books by railroad people like Lacus Beebe. A few with Assistance from Glegg. " The trains we Rode", "Hear the Train Blow", and "Mansions on Wheels. Also Bert Pennypacker's books "Eastern Steam Pictorial" and "Reading Power Pictorial". My best book found recently is my only Thomas.T. Taber book that I own, " The DL&W Railroad in the 19th Century" .

*A must have for any steam locomotive enthusiast is Lin Westcott's Cyclopedia off Steam Locomotives. The many pictures here in this book show steam power in all its diversity through the years by wheel arrangement .

* A very different old book is " American Railroads in the 19th Century" by Jim Harter. It is a large book with 320 pages. All views in the book are from old wood engravings. Other books with good info are " The Iron Horse" by Comstock. This book shows what seems to be wood engravings but many are photos digitaly converted to engraving style views, or are just plain drawings. Next here is a book with many photos of other then, but includes many good American railroad prototype photos. "Railways Then and Now" by O.S. Nock. Another book I find good info in is " The locomotives that Baldwin Built" by Fred Westing. Also a huge book, 644 pages and also very big in size on American freight cars is, " The American Freight Car" by White. It is both big and heavy.
* Now my general reading railroad books I would mention are three by Ron Ziel. "Twilight Of Steam", "Steel Rails to Victory", and "American locomotives"1858-1949. There are two by G.B.Abdill, " The Locomotive engineers Album", and " This was Railroading". A book " Train Wrecks", by Robert Reed. If you like to see unique railroad station of brick and stone , though not on American prototypes but English is " Railway Architecture" by Binny and Pearce. This is a book full of interesting railway stations not unlike to ones built here in the USA.
* This rounds out my books that I view the most. I hope you like the post.
toptrain
" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!!
I recently acquired to books on Colorado ghost towns to add to my collection of historical books about the railroads and narrow gauge lines of Colorado. I have also acquired some historical books written about our local coal mining district in its heyday.
Not a new addition, but some newly added value:

[Image: 17116905065_d5ac50e397_z.jpg]72-82 [signed] by railohio, on Flickr
Mailer, Stan. Omaha Road. Mukilteo, Washington: Hundman Publishing, 2004.
A few new books myself-

Amtrak Power In Color Volume III-

As a Juice Jack, I feel obligated to own this particular volume, as it covers Amtrak's electric locomotive fleet, as well as a few of its unusual trainsets, RDCs, and other self-propelled units. As always, there are comical and self contradicting captions that make me wonder if the authors or editors really check their work, but the pictures are always good, so no complaints there!

New York Electrified Railroads In Color Volume I: Lines into Grand Central Terminal-

This one was a little late coming for me, as I picked up Volume II first as it covered Penn Station and the lines going to it (including those in New Jersey). As the title suggests, this really follows the New York Central and the New Haven's electrification. Talk about interesting! They do give some detailed diagrams of the New Haven's triangular catenary, as well as go into in-depth discussion about the NYC third rail, and New Haven's catenary system.

Penn Central Eastern Region ETTs #6 and #7

I picked these two up for a dollar, I figured why not? Spiritually similar to the Amtrak NEC timetables.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Just added two more volumes on ghost towns and mining towns throughout the Rockies.
My varied collection: Unfortunately the formatting doesn't stick!

Rails in the Canadian Rockies Adolf Hungry Wolf
Self-Propelled Cars of the CNR Anthony Clegg
A Source Book of Locomotives B.Reed
Great Days in the Rockies The photographs of Byron Harmon 1906-1934 Carole Harmon
The Golden Age of Canadian Railways Charlotte Gray
Key Valley Railway Craig Dunn
Algoma Eastern Railway Dale Wilson
Sudbury Electrics & Diesels Dale Wilson
Northern Ontario Rails Dale Wilson
Algoma Rails Dale Wilson
6077 A Fine Locomotive Dale Wilson
Canadian National and Canadian Pacific in Northern Ontario (Volume Two) Dale Wilson, Gordon Jomini
Canadian National and Canadian Pacific in Northern Ontario (Volume Three) Dale Wilson, Gordon Jomini
Tracks of the Black Bear Dale Wilson, Gordon Jomini
All Aboard The Canadian Rockies by Train David J Mitchell
Famous Name Trains David Laurence Jones
Historical Atlas of the North American Railroad Derek Hayes
Canadian Pacific in the West (Volume Two) Donald Bain, David Maiers
Destination Algonquin Park Tracks to Cache Lake and The Highland Inn Donald J Beauprie
Engine Houses and Turntables on Canadian Railways 1850-1950 Edward Forbes Bush
Trackside with VIA the First 35 Years Eric Gagnon
Trackside with VIA Cross-Canada Compendium Consist Companion Eric Gagnon
trackside With VIA Cross-Canada Compendium Eric Gagnon
Canadian Pacific's Big Hill (A Hundred Years of Operation) Floyd Yeats
The White Cascade Gary Krist
The Spiral Tunnels and the Big Hill Graeme Pole
Rites of Passage Greg McDonnell
Wheat Kings Greg McDonnell
Canadian Pacific Stand Fast Craigellachie Greg McDonnell
Lake Traverse Station: A railroad wife's Algonquin Park Memoir Gwendolyn M Woermke
The Sudbury Streetcars Second Edition Jack Knowles, Dale Wilson
Trackside Guide to CP Rail Banff to Craigellachie Jackie Morris
Canadian Pacific In the Selkirks (100 years in Rogers Pass) Jan Booth
Nicholas Morant's Canadian Pacific JF Garden
The Sudbury Streetcars John D Knowles
The Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway (Volume One) John Spring
The Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway (Volume Two) John Spring
Great Railways of the World Julian Holland
North American Railyards Updated and Expanded Edition Michael Rhodes
Over the Hills to Georgian Bay The Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound Rwy Niall Mackay
Classic Trains Nicholas Faith
Western Rail Trail Norman McKillop
Narrow Gauge Railways of Canada Omer Lavallee
Van Horne's Road Omer Lavallee
The Line Ralph Wilson, Don Thomas
West of the Great Divide Robert D Turner
Canadian Pacific In the Selkirks (Volume Two) Roger G Steed
In Search of the Grand Trunk: Ghost Rail Lines in Ontario Ron Brown
The Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore Ron Brown
Rails Across Ontario: Exploring Ontario's Railway Heritage Ron Brown
Vanished Villages Ron Brown
Ghost Railways of Ontario Volume 1 Ron Brown
Ghost Railways of Ontario Volume 2 Ron Brown
A Pictorial History of Algonquin Provincial Park Ron Tozer, Dan Strickland
Railroads of Today S Kip Farrington Jr
The White Pass and Yukon Route Stan Cohen
Looking for Old Ontario Thomas F McIlwraith
The Toronto Grey and Bruce Railway Thomas F McIlwraith
Elements of Train Dispatching Volume 1 Thomas White
Elements of Train Dispatching Volume 2 Thomas White
Canadian Pacific Railway Tom Murray
St Thomas: The Railway City Wayne Paddon
Canadian Trackside Guide 2001
Canadian Trackside Guide 2014
n0rthcornice Wrote:My varied collection: Unfortunately the formatting doesn't stick!

Welcome to the thread!
Two more this weekend:

Ferrell, Mallory Hope. Norfolk & Western …Steam’s Last Stand. Mukilteo, Washington: Hundman Publishing, 2007.

Welsh, Joseph M. By Streamliner New York to Florida. Andover, New Jersey: Andover Junction Publications, 1994.
Will be updating my list shortly...

[Image: 17371560502_000a07a25e.jpg]Toledo Train Day 2015 by railohio, on Flickr
Geletzke Jr., Charles H. and Wilbur E. Hague. Detroit & Toledo Shore Line Railroad: Expressway for Industry. Self-published, 2010.

Sanders, Dale. Northern Pacific. Mukilteo, Washington: Hundman Publishing, 2002.
New additions:
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America(Ontario) Mike Walker
SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America(Western Canada) Mike Walker
Holley, Noel T. The Milwaukee Electrics. 3rd ed. Mukilteo, Washington: Hundman Publications, 2002.

Washington Area Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Metro at 25: Celebrating the Past, Building the Future. Self-published, 2001.

Willumson, Glenn. Iron Muse: Photographing the Transcontinental Railroad. Berkley, California: University of California Press, 2013.
A few new ones, mostly relating to New York City stuff and Operations.

Pennsylvania Railroad Facilities In Color Volume 1: New York Division Sunnyside to Lane

This book covers the places on the PRR between its northernmost terminus and Lane interlocking, the northern terminus of PRR's electrified freight. There are some VERY impressive photos of the old Penn Station in here, as well as a great look at some of the places "less seen" on the PRR in New York City and norther New Jersey.

Rights of Trains

This is a thick paperback book that appears to explain the "rules" of the railroad, and it seemed like a great way to become more familiar with railroad operations. This copy is from 1957, though the earliest printing was in 1904! It might pay to seek out a later version if there is any that matches my late 70s modeling era.

Railroading with Penn Central Color Light Signals: Learning the Names of the Signal Aspects

I picked this one up as well, after thoroughly studying a similar book on the Position Light Signals by Conrail. Its nice to have a clue what all those light combinations mean, though the Color Light book seems to be quite a bit thicker than the Position light one!

Still, its fun to follow along.

Amtrak P30CH Diesel-Electric Locomotive Operating Instructions

These were Amtrak's first Head-End Power diesels, purchased to operate with the new Amfleet cars in the mid 1970s. If only the made models of these! Still, the manual is interesting to look into.

General Electric Operators Manual Harlem and Hudson Divisions Penn Central Transportation Company Cars 8200-8279

This manual is for the "M1" EMUs produced by Budd and GE for the third rail electrified lines out of Grand Central Terminal. Similar cars were sold to the Long Island Railroad, though that railroad has a different third rail set up.

Another electric manual for the collection!

Supplement FL9 Locomotive 3rd Rail Electric Operation

The title pretty much sums it up. This manual is meant to be paired with a regular EMD F9 diesel manual, but covers those aspects specific to pure-electric operation of the FL9 dual mode locomotives, as well as the procedure for switching between electric and diesel power. Very interesting to read!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Still need to log them in the database yet...

[Image: 18490890701_4cf71cb8a6.jpg]June additions by Brian Schmidt, on Flickr