dumpsters
Here's one built from wood, with styrene details. I coated the wood with super-glue to hide the grain, then painted it with craft paint, it helped some. Maybe varnish, then paint? It's a little rough, but since most dumpsters are pretty beat up and rusty, the "less than smooth" surface should be just fine once painted a nasty green and then weathered.

Throwing this out there in case anyone can use the idea. While the original dumpsters were pieced together with thin styrene so the lids could be open, I figured a quicker way to make closed dumpsters would be from wood. I used a table saw to cut some to size from a scrap piece of 2 x 4, then sanded them down. These are the big "cubish" dumpsters that are sometimes seen around commercial buildings. Later, I'll do some of the smaller angled top dumpsters.

From there I super-glued a styrene top on, cut slightly larger than the wood block. This mimics the strengthening rib around the top.

Next the details like side doors and braces were glued on.

And then the lids were made from corrugated plastic sheet, and a wire "hinge" was added.

And here is a smaller dumpster. Cut the wood to the desired shape and sand it smooth. Then take some styrene strip and glue the bracing around the "opening".

I find it easier to glue a long piece on, then cut it after the glue has set. Continue around the opening.

Then glue on the lid and side details:

All that is left is painting and maybe decals.
Mornin' Gary!

Gary S Wrote:    

I am not so happy with the wooden one. I understand that you are shooting for maximum output with as little effort as possible - but I think the wooden dumpster came out a tad too crude. Do you have ever tried to cast something in resin? Those closed dumpsters would be an easy (one piece mold) resin casting project.
Jens
A really nice, clear, informative photo tutorial, Gary!

Kudos!

Cheers
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
SP1 Wrote:I am not so happy with the wooden one. I understand that you are shooting for maximum output with as little effort as possible - but I think the wooden dumpster came out a tad too crude. Do you have ever tried to cast something in resin? Those closed dumpsters would be an easy (one piece mold) resin casting project.

Casting parts is something that I really need to try. I just don't know anything about it, and have been too lazy to research it. :oops: Still, casting one's own parts is something that I consider to be quintessential model railroading, just like casting stuff in plaster or hydrocal. One of these days! On this dumpster, would you just cast the basic shape and add the styrene details as I did on the wood, or cast the whole thing? It would have to be a two or three part mold to do the entire thing, right?

Now, back to the dumpster in question, let me throw some more paint and a bit of weathering on it and we'll see how it looks.
Gary S Wrote:Casting parts is something that I really need to try. I just don't know anything about it, and have been too lazy to research it. :oops:

Ok, I just decided to get you started Icon_lol
I'll demonstrate how to cast a closed dumpster with most details attached. With a little bit of cheating this will be a one piece mold - which is best at the beginning.
I made a handful of dumpsters (4 cubic-yard) myself. The one at the far right (without wheels) will be the one I will cast. Need to attach a lid of course. Unfortunately, I can't meet your pace. It will take me a few days to get the setup done.

Jens
:o Woah! :o

Now those are some dumpsters! I am very very impressed, and they obviously make all my efforts look crude! Again, I am most impressed! Thumbsup

I definitely respect that kind of modeling, and realize that my mass production isn't even close to that standard. But most times, I am happy enough with my creations, and having to populate 170 feet of layout shelves encourages me to take shortcuts. As always, I invoke the 3 foot rule on my creations!

Definitely looking forward to your casting tutorial. Thank you for offering to do it. Thumbsup

Again, thanks for showing us your dumpsters. Those are fantastic, and they make me realize what can be done, and perhaps I should slow down and take more effort to keep things straight and square. Smile
Gary S Wrote:Now those are some dumpsters! I am very very impressed, and they obviously make all my efforts look crude!

Gary, don't compare my dumpsters with yours! I have definately spent much more time on them than you did. But, nevertheless, thanks.
Jens
SP1, it certainly is interesting to compare styles and modeling philosphy. I enjoy seeing other people's work, and hopefully I can incorporate the work into my modeling. If nothing else, it shows me what is possible, and perhaps I will take a bit more time to make sure everything is square when I am cutting and piecing things together.

Here is the wood dumpster with some paint and weathering. The close-up view definitely shows some wood grain and bumpiness, but the further away view isn't too bad, and actually, I think it will serve well as a supporting character to the trains. And maybe the less than perfect surface adds to the illusion?

Ok, you were right.... I have to withdraw my comment made in the morning. With some paint on it, the wood is no more evident. To be honest, I can't spot any grain or fuzz in the pictures above.
Jens
When I hold the thing in my hand, I can definitely see the grain, but of course I know where to look. If I set it on the desk about 3 feet away, as it will be on the layout, it looks pretty good. As modelers, we all have to make decisions on how much we will compromise, and where we will trade speed for fidleity to the prototype - what is "good enough" so to speak. Like I said before, it is interesting to compare styles. Your dumpsters are quite an example of modeling skill and I hope that skill rubs off on me just a bit. Smile
Gary - that's a respectable miniature. Maybe it is not detailed enough for a foreground detail, but for background details near the backdrop, I think it will suit the purpose admirably.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Thanks Kevin. The paint and weathering definitely helped it look better. Placed in the parking lot of an industrial building, it should compliment the scene nicely.
Gary, You've got me thinking that maybe Big Blue should come up with an award to the member who most sucessfully gets away with "talking trash", without being offensive. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

So, when are you going to get......Someofthose Bins Laden ?

Some tissue paper, wrapped around some forms, set with 50/50 water/white glue, a heavy coat of gloss white, or gloss black,or gloss dark green, and a final overcoat of clear gloss.....polypropylene bags of trash, or garbage ?
Some kraft paper "cardboard boxes" ?
The neighborhood "wino", and assorted odds and ends ? :o :o

The dumpsters are looking great !!!
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!