dumpsters
Goldth

For trash-stuffed bags, I had been considering making them Sculpey clay, then painting them. Your idea is certainlt plausible. I will definitely fill the open dumpsters up with trash. One thing I am considering is to take bits of scrap plastic from the scrap bin, chop them up in little pieces of various sizes, paint them various colors, and dump them in.
So here is the state of the weekend dumpster effort. Structurally finished and in various stages of paint. 26 in total.

Better late than never I guess, but found this interesting site with drawings and dimensions for various size dumpsters.
http://vmidumpsters.com/. Might come in handy for anyone else interested in making models. There are a couple of signs you might want to try making decals of or printing out and gluing to the dumpers that you will find on the "Features" link on that page.

I didn't get to try my hand at making a couple of dumpsters this weekend - didn't have enough suitable plastic shapes in my scrap box and need to get some channel for making the lift pockets on the side.

Like the way your dumpsters look that you made from blocks of wood. Look pretty darn good and I sure couldn't see the wood grain! Making a casting for duplicating several is a darn good idea too. Casting parts is something I want to try myself. This would be a good mini-project to learn casting.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Ed, that's a great link for anyone wanting to make dumpsters. A bunch of different sizes and all with dimensions. Nice!
Wow, those are a lot of dumpsters. Looking good!

I found this website: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.combatstorm.com/download.html">http://www.combatstorm.com/download.html</a><!-- m --> and have printed out and assembled some of the dumpsters and containers that are listed under the heading "FREE Combat Storm Papercraft Building & Dumpster Download". When I printed them out, I resized them for N scale and printed out on cardstock. They turned out okay. In a larger scale such as HO, it would help to have more texture, so this might not be good except at the very back of a layout.

I'll post some photos of my built-up dumpsters and containers here when I get a chance.
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
Ed,

thanks for that link!
I made my lifting pockets from Evergreen I-Beam - one side sanded down. I have two sizes in stock, too small and too large. I did choose too large 35
I am eager to see what you will come up with.

Quote: This would be a good mini-project to learn casting.

Not only for casting. I will use the little models to improve and practice my weathering. Thats what I am shooting for.
Jens
Speaking of painting and weathering... I ran into a problem. I can't get a clear colour seperation line between the lid and the dumpster. To avoid masking on the tiny model I decided to cast the body and the lids as seperate pieces and glue them together after painting. Still one mold, but two pieces to cast at the same time.

Jens
That is a nice paint job! There is no doubt you are the dumpster-meister! Will you be making decals for them?

I can't get over how good yours turned out. You should have started this thread, not me!!!! Big Grin

I admit that my butt has been kicked in the dumpster department!!!!! 357
Gary S Wrote:That is a nice paint job! There is no doubt you are the dumpster-meister!

I can't get over how good yours turned out.

ThanKs for your kind words!

Quote: You should have started this thread, not me!!!! Big Grin

Well, I had not intention to model dumpsters! Until I saw your post on sunday morning... I get inspired too easily Icon_lol

Quote:I admit that my butt has been kicked in the dumpster department!!!!! 357

Really? I have one - you have 26. No, wait, its probably 38 right now?
Seriously, you are laidback enough to take it easy, right?

Quote:Will you be making decals for them?
I 'll need some decals, yes. Although I have no lust doing the artwork , I think, I have to do it.
Jens
SP1 Wrote:Seriously, you are laidback enough to take it easy, right?

No problem at all. Smile Your dumpsters are so good, I just can't take my eyes off them. Now, could you do a picture tutorial on how you built those? Pretty please? Thumbsup

SP1 Wrote:I 'll need some decals, yes. Although I have no lust doing the artwork , I think, I have to do it.

I think it would be a shame not to do some decals. As long as you have done this much work, you may as well go all the way.
Who would have thought that a thread about a detail item like model dumpsters would bring out such quality work and such good ideas! Thanks guys!!
Ralph
Wow! My jaw dropped so hard, so fast that my dental work ...
... well, maybe that's a little too much information!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Gary S Wrote:Now, could you do a picture tutorial on how you built those? Pretty please?
Pretty, pretty please!!! Never having tried any sort of part casting, would love to see how you made those beautiful models. I don't see me needing more than a handful of them on my layout, but there are all sorts of details that might be needed in duplicate and it would sure be a good starting point, especially for something with a fair amount of detail like these dumpsters.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Those are some very nice castings.......I think you've done some of that ( casting ) before, or that is some of the greatest beginner's luck I've ever seen !!
The " secret to a great paint job, is great masking "..................but separately painted pieces can be so much better looking. Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thanks, guys! Its appreciated.

Sumpter250 Wrote:Those are some very nice castings.......I think you've done some of that ( casting ) before, or that is some of the greatest beginner's luck I've ever seen !!
Ummm... sort of misunderstanding. I am still building the master, no casting made yet. What you see by now is glued together from styrene.
Jens