CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
Track is down! I used a wash of black ink and alcohol to darken the area between the ties. Gives a nice effect IMHO. I didn't get everything I wanted to get done tonight, but I can settle for this much.

[Image: 002.jpg]

Tomorrow night I'll drop the feeders and paint some rail. But for now its bed time. Wink
tetters Wrote:Track is down! I used a wash of black ink and alcohol to darken the area between the ties. Gives a nice effect IMHO. I didn't get everything I wanted to get done tonight, but I can settle for this much.

[Image: 002.jpg]

Tomorrow night I'll drop the feeders and paint some rail. But for now its bed time. Wink

SLACKER! Goldth

That would have taken me a life-time Wink ........Excellent and inspirational as always! Worship
Steve
Tetters, a conceptual question. How long do you figure the pier deck has been there? What I mean is, did it see steam loco service or all diesel? Steam locos would have dripped oil/grease outside of the rails, where the cylinders and motion were, while diesels tend to drip in a line near the middle of the track.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:Tetters, a conceptual question. How long do you figure the pier deck has been there? What I mean is, did it see steam loco service or all diesel? Steam locos would have dripped oil/grease outside of the rails, where the cylinders and motion were, while diesels tend to drip in a line near the middle of the track.

Funny you mention that. I have given this some thought. While working on this particular structure, I also asked myself the same question.

How long has this been here and what kind of service has it seen?

I do have one steam loco in my roster...in storage...so once I get all the "dirty" work out of the way on the layout I imagine that it will see some action for sure**. I also envision that the pier has been there for sometime...possibly close to the end of its serviceable life and the CPR engineers are already designing a new concrete pier to replace it. (Not that I plan on replacing it, I just built the damn thing! Ha!).

Do you have some examples I can look at? I've seen a couple of pictures that show the rail is typically blacker in the center, but not enough detail to capture things like grease or oil drippings. It's by no means a completed piece either, so I'm looking for and happy to receive some suggestions on how I can improve on it. One thing I've been toying with is adding in plank ends and bolt holes for the planks. Tedious work, but a detail that can jump out and really grab peoples attention. I did experiment with placing some "cinders" in the middle of the approach track for the float bridge, nothing is too permanent though.

**Hopefully not be associated with or to become the one and only lowly "dockside switcher" which apparently is a MRR faux paus according to the "experts" in our hobby. Icon_lol
Steve Wrote:SLACKER! Goldth

Yeah well...I don't see your layout getting done anytime soon! Misngth Misngth Misngth

However, you are light years ahead of me in terms of overall progress and your work is just as inspirational to all of us.

Quote:That would have taken me a life-time Wink ........Excellent and inspirational as always! Worship

Thanks man! Big Grin
I would not be so sure that the CPR has any intention of replacing it. I've seen pictures of CPR car(+engine!) float operations in BC that went well into the diesel era. There are even pictures of the engines shoving cars onto the float up to their axels in water...! Eek

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:I would not be so sure that the CPR has any intention of replacing it. I've seen pictures of CPR car(+engine!) float operations in BC that went well into the diesel era. There are even pictures of the engines shoving cars onto the float up to their axels in water...! Eek

Andrew

Holy! Confusedhock: I wonder how one could model THAT! So I guess I don't need to be so inventive when creating a bit of "history" for my layout then. Icon_lol
Tetters,

Progress looks great I like the look of the wash as it really does give it a used looking feeling. I am excited to see your progress as you continue to weather and detail the rest of the scene!! Do you have any plan on putting some stops at the end of the stub tracks. I would hate to see someone push over the end of the rail and crash through your beautiful dock Big Grin

Also not sure what the company policy was but I would hope they wouldn't leave hot cinders on a wood dock very long. Also have you made any buffer cars for your float apron??

Keep up the GREAT work...and keep the cars out of the Water!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
I should have said coal not cinders. Oops! You're right, they probably would not leave the cinders on a wood pier for long at all I imagine!
tetters & mountaingoatgreg both' Wrote: ... they probably would not leave the cinders on a wood pier for very long ...

... which made me wonder, not knowing much about car floats but remembering wooden trestles, what about ...

... Fire Barrels!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:... which made me wonder, not knowing much about car floats but remembering wooden trestles, what about ...

... Fire Barrels!

If only there was a source of water nearby...... Misngth
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
You guys are too funny. But keep throwing out them thoughts and ideas. I can use some help. As for track bumpers, I have some of those Walthers ones that I will assemble, paint either a day glow yellow or maybe a more subtle grimy black. Haven't decided, although the pier could use a splash of colour, so maybe that is where I will add it.

Fire Barrels! Perhaps a pump house or somthing required somewhere on the deck? I do have plenty of room at the end to build a small structure. What do you think of that idea for some Fire Safety Measures.

Secondly, but not that critical, is I was thinking about placing a row of piles about 3'- 4' taller then the height of the deck along the edge of the pier. What do you folks think about that idea?

Popcornbeer
Without any photos in front of me for absolute verification, I believe I recall something like the taller piling that you refer to at piers "down by the sea." To keep things from rolling off into the water might be one reason for the taller pilings, plus large water craft need something a little more substantial than a cast bronze clete screwed to the deck with brass screws ... know what I mean?

Plus, the taller pilings might add to the "nautical" feel. (Sumpter 250, where are you when we need you?!) 8-)

... you could put a couple sea gulls on top of a few of them and have small dabs of white paint on top and streaking down the sides!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
That's what I was thinking... I'm already thinking about the seagulls and the guano that would inevitably get left behind...if you'll pardon the expression. Icon_lol
Tetter,

Quick Google search produced this photo...might besoemthign to work from

Website says it is the LIRR in 1953

[Image: PsgrCars376-149-etc_onRaiDock-Greenport-7-22-53.jpg]

Website for reference
http://www.trainsarefun.com

Also found this Flickr account from Long Island...yeah yeah not Canada

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henrywagner...08/?page=1
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/