CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale
Nothing like change.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Do I smell? Only one vote (albeit a very valuable vote none the less...thanks KURT!) for the future site of the GERN Food Grade Flux Plant. (sigh)...

This has been a very demoralizing experience... I need some encouragement here fellas... Sad

Every day I chip away more of what is about a year and a half worth of effort. Sometimes wondering if this time I actually bit off more then I can chew. I've removed almost all of the 3000 plus spikes I inserted over countless painstaking evenings and weekends.

[Image: DSC02763.jpg]

Its doesn't look it but yeah, right there is almost all of the spikes I carefully inserted as I ventured forth on in this effort.

[Image: DSC02764.jpg]

Unfortunately, some of the the track work did not survive, despite my best efforts. Turns out my installation efforts were truly solid ones.

[Image: DSC02767.jpg]

Where once was rail...there is now nothing... Nope

The rail...that was once there.

[Image: DSC02770.jpg]

Even this little scene will not survive. However, I must thank whoever it was who mentioned what that little "tulip" icon was for on my camera. I could never figure out why I couldn't get nice tight close-ups on my camera until then. Thumbsup

[Image: DSC02769.jpg]

However...

[Image: DSC02765.jpg]

[Image: DSC02766.jpg]

...with every day signs of progress do show. I reorganized my "man-lab" and did a cardboard mock up of my future paint booth. It will be a few inches smaller and measure at about 13" high x 21 across x 20" deep". This way I can plunk in a 12" x 20" x 1" furnace filter and have "some" wiggle room. There will be a 3" plenum behind the filter. I have been researching for the proper type of blowers and decided to go with an in-line axial shaded pole blower using 4" ducting. The one I picked should give me the CFM I need to get proper ventilation. I've all but finalized plans on how I plan to build it and vent it to the outside. I've come up with an alternate route for the duct work which will not impact my house as I initially thought. My solution I think is much better. When it's done, I'll show everyone what I will do/did.

My space beneath the layout / work area is limited and I plan on making the most it.

The compressor behind the belt sander will end up on a shelf underneath the booth area. I picked up a filter for the compressor to get rid of moisture as I've read "the bible", so to speak, on several airbrush sites and they all mention the use and benefits of having one. In the the second picture forground you can see some Peco Cd 70 flex track I picked up for 50% off at my LHS. A deal I could not pass up! 3 ft sections, 16 pieces of it, at 48 ft of track. Should be more then enough for the industry sidings.

I think about how hard this has been, and then I think about "The Idea". The Idea that makes me think about the coming harbour scene with the rail car float, the massive wood dock with its hand laid rail leading to the gantry and float bridge. I see weathered wood and rails. I see water! I hear gulls and waves lapping at the dozens of piers. I see a rail tug anchored and holding fast while its crew checks the riggings and perhaps goes to shore for a quick coffee while the rail road dock crew does its job loading up the float.

...And for some weird reason, while thinking about all that water, I hear Gordon Lightfoot singing The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QyqAp3wek5o&NR=1

Meanwhile my Saws All has been grinning wickedly at me the last couple of nights. Begging me to use it in order to remove the original 3/8 fir decking on top of the frame work. Something I am not sure I want to do just yet...the frustration level has not yet reached that level.

Wish me luck! :?
Hi Shane, doctorwayne has asked me to look in on your plan for the Scarborough Harbor Branch Line, especially concerning the site for your proposed GERN facility. I have to agree with Kurt - those two sidings at the top left of the plan would be an ideal site for this enterprise. Might I be so bold to suggest an overhead access-way between the two structures, though, as it would provide for easy movement of men and materials between the two operations. It will also help to disguise the end of the mainline at the wall. Wink Thumbsup

Kurt has provided a plan that should give you lots of operating possibilities, and, even though it's uncomplicated, your tracklaying expertise will, no doubt, enhance its flowing curves.
And speaking of curves, Trixie, one of my stenos, who's typing this as I dictate, reminds me that we have a "business" trip and must leave forthwith. Rest assured, though, I'll be following your progress.

Charles (Cookie) Gibson
Flux Magnate
The Director of the Upper Hudson Valley Cement Flux Division of Gern Limited concurs with the above assessment and that of our distinguished colleague from Florida. Best wishes for success in this enterprise! Thumbsup

Ralph
Something came in the mail today.

[Image: DSC02771.jpg]

I was thinking I might start to assemble it in advance. However, I might hold off until I install my new deck and road bed.

Smile
tetters...
Don't be discouraged good buddy! Wink Thumbsup
I love the trackplan (so many possibilities) and I agree with the proposed site for Gern.
I know all too well the pain of dismantling 1 1/2+ years of work.....comes down a lot faster than it went up doesn't it Nope

tetters, I have every confidence that you are more than up to the challenge of bringing Kurt's sweet trackplan to life! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Now.... Popcornbeer on with the show!
Steve
Thanks Steve. Cheers Cheers
I agree with Steve, you'll do fine, just keep in mind you will probably need to make changes as you go because your eyes will come open to bigger and maybe better ideas. Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Just a quick update. I finally started to get over feeling sorry for myself and actually got started cutting the panels for my airbrushing station. I cut the sides and back before the "boss" told me to shut it down for the night. I found a good supply of some 1/4 ply at work that was used as packaging for lab equipment. Each panel measured in at about 3x4 feet. They also had stamped on the sides, "Scientific Instrument - Handle With Caution" on them. So when I cut the side panels I made sure this was somehow preserved on the exterior, just for fun. If I can get the other panels cut, assembled, glued & clamped together tonight, I'll post up some pics. It might be worth it to start a separate thread to show my build on this particular project. Thumbsup
I couldn't agree more Thumbsup ...I would love to see the build!
Steve
Seeing as how you have the main ingredients for a successful rebirthing of your layout already on hand.....
tetters Wrote:[Image: DSC02734.jpg]

I am sure it will be a pleasant ride from here on in.
Tetters, I like your style, and am Looking forward to seeing the layout evolve.

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Another tid bit I shared on the chat board last night.

I've been off this week with the kiddies, so I have been trying to get things done in earnest whilst keeping them amused at the same time.

I started modifications on the existing bench work and began installation of the last 7 1/2 foot leg of the L shape (not shown, its a bit of a mess at that end 790_smiley_picking_a_fight ).

[Image: DSC02911.jpg]

I decided to build the dock as a separate structure which is why the depression in the bench work goes so far up (8ft actually). I'm going to build the substructure out of 1/4 ply and then build the "deck" and pilings right on it. I'll recess the bottom about an inch and a half and make a wall of pilings and strapping with some individual pilings in front. (Just like Tim Warris did on his dock construction for the Port Kelsy RR). IMHO it would be a waste to model water in an area that is going to be mostly out of sight and shadowed.

I also got a bug in my ear and start assembling the Car Float and placed the hull of the tug next to it. Just to get an idea of the scale. I also made a road trip and picked up 2 4x8 sheets of 1/2" Homasote for my roadbed, which is more then enough for my needs. However, I decided to get extra as I did not know when I was going to be able to make another trip out to the West end of the city, and the dealer is only open Mon-Fri 9-5. :|

Lots of work to do in the coming days ahead. Thumbsup
Looking Good Shane, im looking forward to seeing this dock progress Misngth

The car float looks like its going to be neat too, ive always kinda wanted one of those, but where the heck would i put it lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
nice to see your still workin tetters,you've always built excellent models and i cant wait to see what this layout evolves into Thumbsup --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Hi tetters.
Who deals in Homasote?
When we were camped by the Mississippi we watched tugs shoving major fleets of barges. One we counted was 4 wide and 6 long, with the tug at the back -- it looked as if it were inside, replacing a barge in the rear rank. Common was 2 in a row with tug behind.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.