Pittsburg Lisbon & Western
Is The Gauge awesome or what? Question asked about a particular bridge, WHAM, lots of great info and pics. Good job DocWayne and Charlie B! On another note, bridges such as that one just look downright scary! Eek
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I love old newspaper descriptions. I subscribe to the N&W Historical Mailing List, and one of the listers regularly posts railroad-related news items from the Bluefield (WV) Telegraph - these kind of descriptions aren't unusual for the time!

(Quote from Charlie B)
NOV 3, 1887 A frightful accident occured on Wednesday to breakman (newspaper spelling) Carey Burky, about a mile east of New Galilee, resulting in his instant death. He was out on his run on the local in the morning as usual and while cutting loose the engine at the point started, he in some manner fell on the track, the entire train passing over him. He was horribly mangled and crushed out of all ressemblance to a human being. The deceased was about 28 years old, and unmarried. His parents resided at Berlin Center, to which place the remains were taken. Carey was an excellent young man and highly spoken of by those who knew him.

Referring to the mailing list again, it seems every 4th article that is posted is about someone getting killed or maimed on the railroad in some fashion. Work is MUCH safer today, and healthcare is almost always available within an hour of a an accident. I read one article about a guy who had his legs cut off - the only way to get to a hospital was via train. The poor fellow had to be put on a the next train - which was several hours coming. Then HAD TO TRANSFER TRAINS during the journey ( and had to wait for the connecting train to arrive!) They finally did get him to the Bluefield hospital, where he later died (after making it that far!)

Matt
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
You will notice while reading the news articles that there are a few references to filling of temporary trestles. The places along the line that needed fill were bridged with trestles, and later the trains dumped material to fill where the trestles were, leaving them intact under the right-of-way.
For someone modeling an early era, before the big grading machines, this would make an interesting scene.
Charlie
Hi guys
Kevin and I finally got out to Elkton the beginning of the month and and checked out the trestle footings.
Here are the photos os some of them.                    
Charlie
Gary S Wrote:Is The Gauge awesome or what? Question asked about a particular bridge, WHAM, lots of great info and pics. Good job DocWayne and Charlie B! On another note, bridges such as that one just look downright scary! Eek
Now you have seen the footings what do you think? and the trestle was torn down in 43 for scrap. There were steam trains over this trestle many times.. Cheers Icon_lol Eek