Helping Hands
[Image: P1100146-1.jpg]

[Image: P11001483.jpg]
Hello---a couple of Montreal Locomotive Works diesels are seen at the sanding tower

[Image: P11001642.jpg]
Nice shots Mr. Nutbar! Great helper locos and I love the signal bridge and sanding tower in the last photo! Thumbsup
Ralph
Thanks Ralph---here's another set of diesels that can easily handle the grades between Leetown and Port Maitland

[Image: P1100180.jpg]
Hello again---the previous photo showed an A-B-A set of diesels.I'm not sure how to classify this set of locomotives

[Image: P1100085-1.jpg]
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello again---the previous photo showed an A-B-A set of diesels.I'm not sure how to classify this set of locomotives

[Image: P1100085-1.jpg]

I believe that's an H-E-S, if that's a Mikado in the third slot. Wink Goldth

Wayne
Hi Doc---I like your reasoning :H class 10 wheeler,E class mogul and S class mikado.However,the last locomotive is an N class consolidation---therefore,it's a HEN combination---it would be perfect for hauling a train load of poultry 8-)
Hello---the local railfans get a treat as "Beeg Boy" is on helper duty today

[Image: P1100344.jpg]

[Image: P1100358.jpg]
Hello Everyone---I sure picked a good day to do some railfanning on the EG&E with my good friend Doctor Wayne.Our first train was a double-header from Leetown with two Canadian National Northerns on the point.Here's a few shots as the train approached Lowbanks

[Image: P1100473-1.jpg]

[Image: P11004612-2.jpg]

[Image: P1100502-1.jpg]

[Image: P1100508-1.jpg]

[Image: P1100421-1.jpg]
Hello All---Mikado 3254 is spotted on the mainline as helper engine Consolidation 2747 approaches on the inside track.After connecting and a brake test, this doubleheaded freight will head out of the Leetown yard headed to Port Maitland

[Image: P11007313.jpg]

[Image: P11007252.jpg]
Hi Wayne and CN Nutbar,

I like the effect on the piston rod - shiny where it should be. What is your method to create this look? Is it simply unpainted chrome plating?

Nice out-shopped look with subtle weathering on the majority of the locos - thanks again for posting photos (the both of you).

Steam rocks,
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for your kind words, Matt. Smile

When I paint steam locos, I usually remove the gearbox (and sometimes the motor, too) so that the mechanism can be rolled back and forth inside the spray booth. This permits all areas to be airbrushed evenly, with no patches of bare brass showing as the drivers rotate. During this operation, all of the valve gear gets painted, too, including the piston rods. After the paint has dried, but is not yet fully cured, I touch a small brush, laden with lacquer thinner, to the piston area while, at the same time rotating the drivers. This removes the paint, exposing the original plating.

Painting side rods and valve gear is easy using an airbrush, but most locos, even new ones, have been lubricated, which is not especially conducive to paint adhesion. I like to remove the drivers, side rods, and valve gear as a unit, then place it, along with the frame, cylinders and other running gear in a sinkful of hot water and dish detergent. This removes all lubricant, and, after a thorough rinse, the parts are set aside to air dry. I sometimes brush paint the frame and driver centres, then re-assemble everything for airbrushing.
The airbrushed assembly is allowed to dry for a few days, then the motor and gears are re-installed, and the mechanism is run for a few minutes, either on the workbench or on the layout. This short break-in removes any paint from areas where moving parts touch, and, because it's dry, allows it to fall away. With the bare metal re-exposed, lubrication can be applied, sparingly, of course.
I don't clean the wheel treads until all weathering is complete - no point in having to do this task more than once. For wheels, simply support the loco upside-down, attach power leads, then touch a brush loaded with lacquer thinner to each tread in-turn while it's rotating. Follow-up immediately with a touch from a clean dry rag to remove the paint and thinner.

Wayne
That Belpaire boilered 3259 is a real beauty! I love that combo with the vanderbuilt tender.

I have noticed a slight red tint on the firebox and smokebox of 3256. Is that rust?

Fantastic looking lokeys you guys!
-Dave
Dave, the 3256 is a composite based on several CNR locos. Its owner wanted a CN loco with an all-weather cab, and an Elesco feedwater heater, and wanted it weathered heavily to represent a locomotive very near the end of its service life. Some photos of it seem a little "off" in their colour, but I did apply some rust-coloured pastels to the firebox and smokebox. In person, the effect is fairly subtle.

Wayne
Thanks for the reply Wayne. I had wondered about the authenticity of 3256 since it was so close in number to the 3259 yet so different in details. I don't like it when people question my model efforts so I didn't ask. I do, however, like the slight hint of red on the smokebox and firebox and may try to duplicate that when I weather a 4-6-2 for my own railroad. I really do think your modeling belongs among the greatest names in our hobby, and always looks forward to seeing your projects and final products. Thank you so much Wayne and Mr. Nutbar for sharing.

Wayne, have you ever considered doing an online clinic on weathering... you know, for the rest of us to learn from your outstanding skills?

Dave
-Dave