Liberty Industrial Spur
Now we are cooking here - we are discussing what the goal is.

I think continuous run is the right decision for you. There is nothing wrong with continuous room on a table - if you have enough room for it.

But here is yet another point to consider : you will be moving to a school dorm or something in not to long - with less space available. How about revisiting the scale decision, and reconsider N scale?

You can do a nice N scale continuous run layout in 30" x 5 feet. It corresponds to a H0 scale layout that is 4.5 feet x 9 feet in terms of what can fit, curve radii etc, but takes up far less space than you need for a H0 scale 4x8 foot layout. So it likely will be able to go with you to a university dorm or whatever when you move out in a year or so (if I remember correctly).

It can be stored on three shelf supports on a wall, and either be run while sitting on it's supports, or be set up on a dining room or kitchen table if you want access all around it while running.

Smile,
Stein
hi Justin,
you could have a look at Byron Henderson's San Jose plan.
With a wee bit of tinkering it could fit on a HCD even when you connect the main along the bottom to get a nice little oval.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/id25.html">http://www.layoutvision.com/gallery/id25.html</a><!-- m -->

Paul.
Stein:You can do a nice N scale continuous run layout in 30" x 5 feet.
----------------------
True dat but,a 2x4 footer works equally well for a small roundy rounder with 2-3 industrial sidings.

Here's some 2x4' ideas.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm">http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm</a><!-- m -->
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Guys, I am not sure I want to build another 4x8, I no longer have room for one, and it doesn't satisfy my need for realistic operation, I never said I don't like switching layouts, I just said that all of my previous switching layouts were too big and had no direction.

I definitely want to stay with Ho-scale, N-scale is too small for me, I like the trains to be big and up front.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justin, After reading your last post I feel we might be in the same boat as far as missing the center piece.

Every ISL I ever built was "planned as I build" and each was a success in their own rights.I been fooling with Slate Creek going on 2 1/2 years and IMHO it proved to be a fool's errand in many ways starting with a plan that was about a 1/2 ton over my layout size limitations even in N Scale.

After the pending move I will move forward and start construction once I get settle in and up to speed.

I have decided I'll return to my "plan as I build" method since that always seem to work quite well on my past layouts and once built I'll share the final plan..I will keep in mind some of the ideas others had for Slate Creek.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Okay - lets go right back to square one.
Are you planning to move into a dorm in college or are you staying at home?
Do you want to have a portable, transportable or fixed layout ? (Portable means that you can mob=ve easilt, transportable meands it can be moved if needed but not easily)
Haow much space do you have available?
What size would you like to have - bearing in mind time, money, ability?
I hear your comments about scenery - lets be honest ,scenery is a small consideration - Warehouses/factoeies can be scenic flats and urban scenery is buildings, roads and fences - reallytnot difficult to produce - even from cardboard boxes, and paint. Put some lorries and cars in suitable places and dot some c0ntainers about - job done. Cardboard boxes can be replaced over time - but they act a standins for now
Now - assuming the layout is to be portable - is the layout going to pack-up into a box? Is it going to form a box? Is it goiung to be pack-flat - ie is everything going to have to be removed to pack it away(and stored somewhere)? What is the layoutb going to be supported on? - where is it going to be stored? Is it easy to assemble? will it be in the way/subject to damage when it is up? can it be moved easyily if it is portable? If it is portable, wher is rolling stock/controller/transformers/Wires/lighting going to be kept? What 9is the maximum SENSIBLE size of board that you can move solo? Can you design it tp avoid turnouts ctossing board joints.
When you have done some thinking along these lines, then - and only then - can you start to consider designing a layout to fit your available space and requirements. That will at least help you, and us, to try and sort out a layout design
shortliner,Not wanting to sound harsh but,having built several "portable" ISLs and one HCD layout half the stuff you mention isn't necessary and I think that where Justin is having problems-information overkill for his situation.

One can use flat industries along a removable backdrop and wire the layout directly from the power pack as one solid block.The layout can be stood in a corner if necessary.This is where the layout books end and experience kicks in when it comes to small temporary portable layouts that must be stored between use.I have used a card table for "bench work" by sitting a 15" x10 foot ISL on it-very similar to this design:

[Image: IM000096.jpg]

But,a bigger concern is dorm room life may not be a ideal place for a layout.I would mostly railfan,weather cars and collect the items I need for a future layout once I finish schooling,landed a job and moved into my own castle.

I would take a easier route then building a ISL but,that just me..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Oh yes, Larry - I entirely agree, but Justin really doesn't seem to have a great deal of idea about just what it is that he DOES want to do, which is why I was trying to get him to THINK about what he wants - I certainly wouldn't suggest building in a dorm room - a pretty sure way to be certain that it will get trashed in a short space of time by some jock fooling around, But I have built a couple of layouts, as a look through Carls Scrapbooks will tell you, than can be dismantled to fit into a very small space, and a bit of prior thought might just enable him to actually come up with something he can, and will, build and enjoy doing it.
Justinmiller171 Wrote:(...) I never said I don't like switching layouts, I just said that all of my previous switching layouts were too big and had no direction.
Okay, so let me see if I understand... You still want a switching layout, but you want something small that you can get to finished look in a short amount of time? Am I close here? If so, then why not just go with one of these plans. Either your version of the Palmetto Spur:[Image: Libertyspursmall.jpg?t=1319878082]

Or this neat plan that Mike came up with for Larry; perhaps with a removable switching lead on the right side:[Image: 6302685041_9b9e25dd0a_b.jpg]Mike's plan presents some interesting switching challenges without resorting to a puzzle type plan. Either of these plans could fit on an 16 to 18 inch deep HCD or shelving available from a home products store.

Scenery wise, why worry so much about that? You stated in a previous posting that you thought that Alcanman's layout was one of the best layouts you've seen. Who says you can't do the same? We're not talking about that much scenery on a small layout and as far as structures, most, if not all, would be building flats or low relief structures. Starting with something like one of these plans would be a good learning experience.

As for direction, if your layout represents an industrial spur off a Class I road or even a small independent short line or STC operation - then what other direction do you need? The location for such a layout would fit most any where in the U.S. and you can have what ever industries you like on either plan. Would be entirely your call.

Finally, are we still talking about having the layout portable or will it remain at home? I'm with Larry and shortliner in so far as I don't think it would be a good idea to try and have a model railroad layout in a college dorm. I'd follow Larry's advice and just plan for a future layout, collect and work on the equipment you'd need as time and finances permitted and leave the layout at home.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
shortliner, What ever he's looking for he's missing the center piece-the center piece being the final goal and that's where he needs to think ahead and not be overwhelm with layout ideas that may not fill his needs and that is easily done since I've seen several Slate Creek plans/ideas that has merits and I'll admit two of them derailed my thoughts completely... Icon_lol

I agree with your overall assessment that Justin needs to do some serious thinking on the final goal and when that's reached then we can help with design ideas.

BTW..All of my removable backdrops used wooden pockets that pegs(legs?) on the backdrop slid into.The whole shebang took around 10-15 minutes to set up since everything was glued in place.When not in use it was stored on end in a spare walk in closet that my wife dedicated for my layout and model storage area since this closet had several shelves.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Larry - all my removable backdrops bolt onto the rear, using M6 bolt and washers into tee-nuts in the rear frame - they are fitted using a rachet wrench or an electric screw=driver with a socket fitted . The layout sections (usually) bolt together using the same system and the whole thing assembles in less than two minutes. Power is fed through the two tee-nuts/bolts that join the sections together The current HO one id slightly different, and has stereo speakers driven by an MRC Soundbox built into the base. It packs away into a wooden box that is (externally) 30" x 9.5" x 8" - including the lighting rig, and is based on Prof Klyzlrs ChicagHO Fork - when you ain't got a lot of room you make do with what you have! Oh, and it sits on an Ironing board
Oh, and it sits on an Ironing board
--------------------------------------
Now that's a first for me..I would have never thought of using a ironing board..

What a ingenious idea! Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Must admit that I bought a replacement for this one so that SWMBO wouldn't miss it - It has a locking bar rather than one of those 3 position step-things underneat and is Infinitely adjustable between fully up and fully folded - my thinking was that if needed I can match the height EXACTLY to another one if I want to go for an extensuion - and SWMBO says I don't think ahead! 357
Justinmiller171 Wrote:1.Modern-day Southern Pacific in Oregon
2.Transition-Era Western Pacific in California
3.Milwaukee Road either Modern or Transition Era
4.Early transition-era somewhere along the east-coast
5.Modern-day Santa Fe in Arizona

Hmm... It's going to be hard to cross some off, but it should help me finally decide on a theme

Justin, I saw this list in the middle of the last page, and no comments have been made on it. The first thing that struck me is that I think you already have a small switcher in S.P. colors. Is that correct? It looks like #1 could be done with the equipment that you already have. #2-#5 would require you to pack away what you already have and go out and buy new models, or strip off the paint and repaint the locomotive you already have. I think you should focus at this point on the "modern day S.P." Of course "modern day" is relative since the S.P. ceased to exist @ 20 years ago.
One final suggestion that I think you've already done to some extent.

You mentioned that you like to research things, sooooooooo.... Using Google Maps explore some of the areas that interest you (your 5 theme locations for example) and look for industrial spurs or other locations with track arrangements that look interesting to you. Don't use Bing Maps, as it will not show rail lines where Google will and not as detailed either. Examples: Google Map, Phoenix, AZ     Approximate same area in Bing Map:     Start with your home state, so if you find something of interest, perhaps you can travel to that location to photograph things and explore the area. If you see something of interest, then you can go to the aerial view in Google and Bing (each has its own features) and explore the area that way. You'll often be able to find out what industries are located on the line and also view things in street view - handy for getting a good idea of how a certain structure or the terrain looks.

Don't overlook simple looking spurs or locations and especially look for rail lines/spurs with arrangements that look like the available layout space you have.

When you find something that really interests you, then ask yourself "could I fit a representation of this in to my available space?" If the initial answer is yes, then design your own track plan. You can do like many people and actually model what is on the spur or location, or you can put your own industries that appeal to you on your layout.

As Russ suggests, since you already have the SP NW-2, then look at areas that were former SP and see what you can find. And as Russ pointed out, why toss what you already have and purchase new equipment?

Your best bet for industrial spurs would be large urban areas, but also don't overlook small towns or branch lines either. A switching layout doesn't have to be modeled as a separate spur, but could represent the track and industries in a small town along the line too. SP covered a lot of territory and when you include the SSW, you've got other locations that you might not have considered.

Main thing - you will find it much more rewarding to pick your locale and design your own layout then to copy someone's plan or go with anything we might suggest. You may well find that theme (or center piece as Larry puts it) you're looking for in the process.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"