Liberty Industrial Spur
faraway Wrote:
Justinmiller171 Wrote:....what if I built Lance Mindheim's Palmetto spur using one of my HCDs?...
No way! You may be influenced as much as you like and the result might be as close as possible but you should build your very own layout.
ps. Sorry, if my wording is to harsh Smile

I agree....I often come across really neat ideas or layouts and wish I had built something like that. But then I think.."Naahh...That's HIS layout, and this one is MINE..."
Gus (LC&P).
Of course I would personalize it, just look at Alcanman's layout, his is based on the Palmetto Spur and I think it is one of the best layouts I have seen. My current layout plan is just an Ho-scale version of Jack Hill's NCIR layout

My ideas was mostly about continuing to build a permanent layout vs building a smaller portable layout.
I will be happy either way.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
If you want to build a smaller easily portable switching layout, then don't use a hollow core door as the basis. A door is e.g. not very easy to transport in a regular car.

Instead, build it as two 3 foot or 4 foot x 15-18 inch sections, which you can bolt together into a box using two side plates when transporting it. Much more portable.

Edit: See e.g. M.C Fujiwara's version of Henderson's Alameda plan here: http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/t/195425.aspx

Smile,
Stein
Steamtrains Wrote:
faraway Wrote:No way! You may be influenced as much as you like and the result might be as close as possible but you should build your very own layout.
ps. Sorry, if my wording is to harsh Smile

Though I agree with you guys, i'm going to argue the reverse- Why not use a working plan?

I mean, If I were to build a new layout now, it would DEFINITELY be something i'd design myself to fit into my unique prototypes. Many of us have been modeling trains for years, and we know what configurations of tracks work, we know what to look for in potential operational problems.

If you're new to the hobby though, you don't have that practical knowledge that one gains from expirience. If you've never finished a layout before, and you haven't had expirience like a model railroad club or something, trackplanning can be a difficult topic to tackle.

An existing layout (even more so a layout considered "successful") would be an excellent starting point for someone who has not yet learned the finer points of how model trains run in their environment. You can build it now, and know it will function reasonably well (assuming you don't cram to much into it like I do).

Now, Jumping back onto the original arguement-

You can use Lance's layout as a guide, but you don't necessarily need to copy it exactly. Study the lenghths of spurs, run arounds, and the required lead track distances you would need to switch those spurs and run arounds. Keep these figures in mind as you plan.

For example, just know how many freight cars a industry will take (and be conservative, since inevitably there isn't nearly as much space as there appears to be), know how long a track that requires, and then know how much space past the switch to that spur one would need to comfortably switch the industries.

if you determine "industry A" requires two plastic pellet hoppers, based on the size of the kit and how many loading points the industry kit has. Then you say "well, I want to run Atlas/Walthers 64' pellet hoppers, and they fit on approximately 20" of track to fit those two and let the locomotive straighten out enough to couple together".

Now you just need to make sure that when you switch the layout, there is space for your train to pull the hoppers beyond the switch and back them into the spur. IF those cars are right behind the locomotive in the consist, then you already know just about how much lead space you need.

Now just keep doing that for every industry on the layout, and stick thoses on locations along your main track that they can fit in properly.

You should be able to come up with something no problem.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:...Why not use a working plan?...

Using a working (track) would be a nice starting point. But I responded to "if I built Lance Mindheim's Palmetto spur". I understood that sentence as an option to do a copy of Lance layout. Therefor the strong "no way". Starting with Lance's track plan, Kurt's buildings, Gary's backgrounds, Sumpter's ship models ... is a very intelligent way to end up with Justin's layout.
But I understood from Justins answers he did never plan to do a copy. He is a bright young man!
Reinhard
I recognize that, i was just going from the opposite direction for the heck of it.

My layout is actually based off a Model Railroader layout (Callahan Central <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://books.google.com/books?id=lFx6T-L_FfIC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA10#v=onepage&q&f=false">http://books.google.com/books?id=lFx6T- ... &q&f=false</a><!-- m --> ). If you click the link, you can see that I clearly brought my layout in a different direction. Though sometimes I wish i had a different track plan, I've obviously demonstrated its a working set up.

I was just saying a littl bit of copying doesn't hurt. Cloning a layout or its parts would be a different matter!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
It's your layout - build what you want. Thumbsup

Plenty of modelers copy layouts others designed. It's entirely your call.
Okay guys can we get back to the original question?

Should I keep building this permanent layout or should I build a "version" of Lance's Palmetto spur?

I will be happy either way
Justin Miller
Build whatever you're comfortable with....It's your call..
But waffling back & forth between myriad variations is one sure way to come up empty handed...
Gus (LC&P).
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Should I keep building this permanent layout or should I build a "version" of Lance's Palmetto spur?

You should make up your mind about what you want to do for your layout.

Smile,
Stein
steinjr Wrote:You should make up your mind about what you want to do for your layout.

Well, I really like my current design, however It is a little too big for me, I would definitely like to continue building it if I had more time and money, I am going to have less and less time for the layout soon, I have to do a big school project before I can graduate, I will also be getting a job soon so I don't think I will have time to get the current layout to the "nearly finished" stage.

My version of the Palmetto spur will still be called the Liberty Industrial spur, I should be able to get the track down fairly soon, the only part that will take time will be building the cassette.

Here is the plan:
[Image: Libertyspursmall.jpg?t=1319878082]
Justin Miller
Justin, don't get me wrong, I have the same amount of money in my pocket no matter what layout you build. That said, the more times that you change your mind, the more the layout will cost you. I have a proposal for an 8 foot by 15 inch switching layout that divides into 2 - 4 foot by 15 inch sections. To me, building a staging cassette takes away from the scenery. You can have the layout fold in half and stand it on end in the corner.

[Image: 6298429973_43fa1cc4cb_b.jpg]

The lead is 39 inches long and there is space for 2 cars on the lead for the industry A to help with switching. Each spur holds 2 cars each.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike,At 8' the layout can stand in the corner in one piece.Been/done.

Some times I wonder if Justin has my problem? I want to much for my limited space.So,now,I'm reviewing all my options and the best route to take.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Mike,At 8' the layout can stand in the corner in one piece.Been/done.

Some times I wonder if Justin has my problem? I want to much for my limited space.So,now,I'm reviewing all my options and the best route to take.

Hey Brakie. I just wanted to design something more easily transportable. Otherwise, I would just stand it up on end.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Mike Kieran Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Mike,At 8' the layout can stand in the corner in one piece.Been/done.

Hey Brakie. I just wanted to design something more easily transportable. Otherwise, I would just stand it up on end.

Mike,2 4' 15" sections should make a excellent portable layout..I also like the plan.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!