Liberty Industrial Spur
Mike Kieran Wrote:... here's what I got for you in HO:...

That is a great plan! While the track plan is always about the same is the scenery with the curved track on the right hand, the street crossing, the background street and the overpass is far better than anything else discussed so far here. The buildings in the center form a nice "canyon" without blocking anything. The plain area left hand is a nice contra point. I am enthusiastic. You will find some of that composition on my future layouts! Thanks for posting.
Reinhard
Thanks Reinhard. What I tried to accomplish was being able to stage 2 box cars, a cement covered hopper, and a switcher on the length of drill track between the hill street crossing and the overpass. by angling the drill track and adding a curve, I was able to accomplish this. it folds into 2 42x15 inch sections.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Justinmiller171 Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:I want to much for my limited space.So,now,I'm reviewing all my options and the best route to take.

I think I do have your problem, at least I was able to get track laid and was able to operate, I now know a whole lot more about what I want, I still like the ISL, I just want a smaller one, I am also not concerned with getting the "perfect" plan anymore.

BTW, I am not interested in creating an extremely portable layout, just one that small enough that it can be moved once or twice, a 2-foot wide HCD is portable enough.

Justin, by making it into 2 smaller sections, I can transport it to shows or just put it out of the way when I'm not running it. I am a strong believer in Dave Barrows' domino concept because people move all of the time (especially with a constantly changing job market) and we don't know what our next space will be. The sections are easily transportable in just about any car without having to rent a trailer or van. Your HCDs may not fit in the next space that you move in to.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Here is the current track-plan:
[Image: LIRYFINAL.jpg?t=1319078919]

I am not to sure about the upper right area of the layout, I can't seem to get the spur going into Lowes Lumber look right, I am going to try curving it to see if it looks better.
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)

Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Or you can make the lumber industry a foreground industry for visual interest (maybe with parts of the industry "in the aisle"), and let the mainline curve behind it in the corner.

Concept sketch:

[Image: justin-corner.jpg]

Many options here :-)

Smile,
Stein
Justin, if you move the turnout for the paper company back 12 inches and use the beginning of the storage track for the Lowes, you won't need the right leg of the layout. For 13 feet of layout, I could build an empire.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Okay, I have the lumber spur figured out, it looks pretty nice now.

I am going to a train-show next weekend, I will try to get some IPD boxcars, some more bulkhead flats, and some covered hoppers.
Justin Miller
hi Justin,
your east wing does not add anything, I would go for something like this:
[Image: 13X9BRAKIE03.jpg]

While John Armstrong was probably very aware of realising as much fun as possible in his plans, it seems
hot to have as few spurs as possible today.
Smile
Paul
Paulus_jas, as drawn, your runround loop is unnecessary as all your spurs are "push in" - unless your ISL company rules insists on departing loco leading (much more fun to have a shoving platform to get in the way and make life awkward!) - however - if you put a righthand turnout into the bottom track of the runround at about the half-way point, and a diamond into the "car storage" track you could add a spur runnung into the Lumber (Lowes?)from the main area, through the trees and across the road, rotate the building 90 degrees and lose the track into it from the fiddle yard - in fact for those who don't have room for the fiddle yard leg, you'd get a good single-shelf switcher Layout. Also , if your fiddle track is full of off spot cars for the industry there, you can't switch the lumber company
Just a thought
Jack
Hi Justin or better Jack,
one spur is facing the other direction.
This why the passing and storage track are handy, the cars can be parked here temporarily, while switching the Lumber CO.
BTW without the additions you could not use that track for off-spot cars at all, since the engine is always at the wrong side of the cars.
The most easy way to switch my version would start with the engine on the long leg, picking up cars from the fiddle track. Switching the industry adjacent to the fiddle track first, then run around the consist and switch the other industries. The passing siding add some extra parking space. Before pushing outgoing cars on the fiddle track a second runaround move has to be made.
I like the idea by Stein to have the train going around the Lumber Co; it is adding visual distance between the two legs. The curve is almost 6 feet long, so the lead has a rather adequate length.
Smile
Paul
paulus_jas Wrote:hi Justin,
your east wing does not add anything, I would go for something like this:
[Image: 13X9BRAKIE03.jpg]

While John Armstrong was probably very aware of realising as much fun as possible in his plans, it seems
hot to have as few spurs as possible today.
Smile
Paul

I like this layout plan! Everything is figured out. If Justin doesn't take it, I might consider a variation for an addition to my layout!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Here is a change I came up with to replace Consolidated Container:
[Image: NCIR-PB.jpg?t=1320648957]

I replaced it with Ed's idea of a Peanut Butter Plant, I think it has better car variety than Consolidated Container, there is also room on the boxcar track to store cars so I won't need to use part of the trans-load spur.
Justin Miller
Paulus_jas, you are absolutely right - I'm blind as a bat! Humble apologies! 35
Paulus, I was also thinking that it was a shame to not do anything with the shelf on the right. A runaround and a storage track can form a mini yard and provide service to other customers at facing point turnouts. If I had Justin's footprint, the layout would be an industrial park with 22 inch minimum radius curves.

The plan is genius.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines