Happiness is a new layout !
In addition to the usual challenges of building a layout , I've agreed to spend only $100 and since $35 already went on the 1x3's , it'll be a squeeze . Fortunately I have a lot of left over stuff from the old layout that will be used . It looks like track and turnouts are sufficient . I got lucky and found some 1/2 " plywood pieces that I had stored and forgotten about ....odd shapes but it will have to do . I'll need more 1x3's for the second half of the benchwork and maybe another sheet of plywood . It'll be tight .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Some progress from this

[Image: gridwork001-1.jpg]

to this ......

[Image: gridwork006.jpg]

...got a couple of auto subways going in

[Image: gridwork010.jpg]

[Image: gridwork011.jpg]

...the plan is to use some scrap buildings and detail them up
[Image: gridwork008.jpg]
...such as the above building shell .
I have changed the track plan to the one seen above ....previously the track ran under where the subway is . Getting it down there required a rather steep grade and the use of a 30 degree cross over , turnouts and a Y .......too complicated and there was a turnout at the bottom of the hill that asked for trouble . This plan is simpler and will allow for a lot of fun modelling i think .

T
The main plan is to NOT spend much money which is easy when you don't have extra $$ . It's called recycle old stuff !

T
I was wondering if the baseball project had ground your home layout to a halt, glad to see you are still on it. As far as recycling goes I've been doing that for years! Cheers
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
There was a lot of work to do , Mike , cleaning and rearranging the train room and spending about a month trying to get the previous track configuration to work within the 3' X 10' area. In the end I reverted back to " less is more" and realized my 4" drop wasn't going to fly no matter what I did . This track plan uses a maximum 1" drop or rise in elevation and should work OK .

I don't have a name for the layout yet ....it will be the " Port something-or-other and North whatever" but I haven't had a light bulb go off on specific names . Where is the port , you ask ? That will be in the second 3' X 10' ....I'm building them one at a time .

I just don't want to fall in to the trap I experienced with the too large steel mill layout .....worked out of town for a year , home for weekends , and drifted away from the layout . Not good .

T
Big change in plans ...we're putting the house up for sale Monday . My wife has a very tough time negotiating stairs in our raised ranch style home . I've seen enough , for her sake we're going to an apartment . An old friend manages the place I'd like to get , so hopefully all turns out well . It's an adult only building .......maybe i can round up some interest in mrring !? I'm hoping there will be enough room to run a shelf layout or MAYBE even my 3x8 .

T
T sorry to hear about your wife's health problems. I have bad knees so i know what you mean. Maybe you can get a place with an extra bedroom for your layout?
Mike

You're a good man T. I hope you find a place that suits your wife's needs and also affords some modelling space. Best wishes with the house sale and the hunt for a new home.
Ralph
Thanks for the thoughts . My wife has had a neurological issue for 8 years and now has a vertigo symptom : hence , the stairs problem . Any doctor she's seen here in Canada , can't help her . I'd like to take her to the U.S. but am currently trying to get our health coverage to pay the tab . I'll be surprised if they do but I have to try . Wish I could afford the Mayo Clinic .
Meanwhile I have to keep myself healthy so I can look after her . Ah , old age !

T
Your wife has my sympathies T, I was diagnosed with needing a knee replacement two years ago, but the only surgeon willing to carry out the op (due to complications) is 'private' and it has taken me this long to get the UK health service to fund it, as I certainly couldn't afford it. Hopefully I won't have to wait too much longer.

I hope things work out for you both and that you end up with modelling space as a bonus.

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
Geez , Mike , I thought you'd take this opportunity to try to convert me to N scale Goldth

Went to the apartment today ...took my wife to show her ...also took my , uh , tape measure Thumbsup Wife asked why ...." oh I want to see how the , um , furniture will fit in " 357 Yeah , that's it !

T
teejay Wrote:Geez , Mike , I thought you'd take this opportunity to try to convert me to N scale Goldth

Went to the apartment today ...took my wife to show her ...also took my , uh , tape measure Thumbsup Wife asked why ...." oh I want to see how the , um , furniture will fit in " 357 Yeah , that's it !

T

Since when layouts aren't furniture!!?!?!? Confusedhock:

Knowing your creativity, I'm sure you'll find a way to do something meaningful in this new household.

Matt Thumbsup
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
TJ I figure you will skip right over N and lead the way here at the Gauge with Z scale!
Mike

One of the guys working on the ballpark , Joe , has a brother who is BIG TIME into Z ....brags about the layout in a suitcase and all . His other interest ( he's single ) is Star Wars stuff to the tune of big bucks !!!!........likes to dress up as Princess Laya ,....no I mean Luke Skywalker :o My Bad . 357

T