Happiness is a new layout !
Well he's half right I guess! Icon_lol
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Yeah , Mike , but WHICH HALF ?? Misngth

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
[quote="Ralph"]You're a good man T. I hope you find a place that suits your wife's needs and also affords some modelling space. Best wishes with the house sale and the hunt for a new home.

There's an old saying:"when one door closes,two open"--- I hope everything turns out well for you and your wife
Looks like I'll be continuing with my little layout after all !

Yes the house was for sale , did my local research on price/comparables etc ...signed a 3 month contract with an experienced realtor that had been successful in my area . What could go wrong ? Hmmmmm......we had 15 showings , NONE by "my realtor" . The showings were scheduled for one hour ( they want you away for 1 hour ) except that after the third showing I started circling back earlier and earlier ,,,,,nobody here ! Curiouser and curiouser . Turns out they stay about 20 minutes .

One showing was late so we happened to be home to hear the so-called presentation ......."this is the kitchen , this is the bathroom" .....gimme a break , my DOG could do that . NO discussion of features and benefits , low taxes , schools , lake ,etc . I did get one low-ball offer and the realtor was trying to sell ME on that offer . I suggested they do their job and try to sell to buyer on the higher number ...like , who hired who here ??? :evil:

So I fired their ass after 2 months . Next time I'll sell my own house . Get to keep my trains 2285_

T
I've always felt that real estate agents had a racket going T. Enjoy the trains!
Mike

Well , after cleaning and straightening the train room , I'm back at the layout . Tracks and turnouts are mocked up .

This is what you might call PHASE 1 ...sounds important , eh ? The second section will be the dock area . This area is the industrial end of a city . There will be a large factory at the far end . There are several small elevations and with the reduced size of the layout I have to be careful with elevation angles / turnouts etc .

T
WHAT

No scenery yet???? Eek Slacker!!!!! 2285_
Mike

...almost forgot Mike , thanks for reminding me .

....scenery all done , just finished it ( puff , puff ) Tongue

T
Much better T. Cheers Icon_lol
Mike

Well I decided to get my least favourite job done on the layout this past weekend ....tracks & wiring , since it won't get done on it's own . Remembering that I had to crouch under the benchwork to connect feeders on my last layout , I decided to string the busses a couple of inches from the edge of the benchwork . That way I can stand up to solder the feeders to the busses . I haven't soldered the rail joiners yet ...will leave that for the next job . I'll be hooking up the Digitax soon to see if everything runs OK ...that will be much more exciting than trackwork .

T
T I hate soldering as well. I switched to using tap splice/suitcase connectors years ago so I only have to solder the wires to the rails.
Mike

I used suitcase connectors last time too and didn't have any trouble in the limited time I ran things . I've heard a lot of "cons" about them in the last few years from various people , so thought I'd burn the crap out of my fingers Goldth for personal enjoyment , instead .

T
Good news and bad news ....

First the good .

1 . Track and turnouts are down and secure .
2. Wiring done / feeders soldered to buss , didn't use suitcase connectors .
3. I decided against switch machines ...will operate them by hand , may install bell cranks at some point , may not .
4. FOUND MY DIGITRAX manual !!!! I was sure I hadn't thrown it out after thinking about it ....sure enough I had moved it to another area with all my empty decoder packages for some reason .
5. Hooked up the Digitrax according to the instructions ...there were various beeps along the way as per instructions . Readout seemed OK .

Bad news : Trains won't run... light goes on but loco won't move ...back to the drawing board ! Wallbang I'll have to check the battery voltage in the throttle , maybe too low since battery is about 2 years old . 357

The 6 sidings in the upper part of the pic haven't been fastened down yet as they may be adjusted as I place structures .

T
Great good news. Hope the bad news improves!
Looking nice Teejay! I gotta love that little CP Alco switcher!

Wiring and electrical problems are always a pain to rectify, but once done life is so much easier.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/