Big Steel! Update Feb 15/09
Thanks a lot for the encouraging replies folks!!

Nice shots Charlie!! You sure have a steady hand. I miss those old streetcars.

Ralph I may be turning to you for advice, since you did such a great job on your steel mill.

Gary.... is that you? Smile

Russ, thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out for sure.

Tom, can you send her back? (to the store for the right kit that is - not suggesting you trade in your wife!! LOL!!!)

Pete, you're right. It is going to be big. I'm so glad that I never got around to doing anything with the far right section, because that means I should have lots of room - and there's also a peninsula running off that section which could be very interesting.... perhaps a harbour scene.
Spitfire Wrote:Ralph I may be turning to you for advice, since you did such a great job on your steel mill.

Thanks Val. My mill is more of an impression of a steelworks that I constructed without any real knowledge of how one operated. It does look properly industrial and "railroady' but I'm not switching it like a real mill, lacking some of the key component buildings and rolling stock. I move coal hoppers, gons full of scrap, and covered coil cars into what I consider a "holding yard" in between some of the structures...and then pull them out again as an operation.

With your full roster of structures and better informed awareness of steel mill movements are you planning to operate the mill more prototypically than I do? Smile

Ralph
Ralph Wrote:
Spitfire Wrote:Ralph I may be turning to you for advice, since you did such a great job on your steel mill.

With your full roster of structures and better informed awareness of steel mill movements are you planning to operate the mill more prototypically than I do? Smile

Ralph

Now, where did you get that idea??? I have no clue how a steel mill operates!! Icon_lol

cheers
Val
Hee Hee! I figure all of those days spent photographing mills probably gave you some inkling. Smile How hard can it be? Melt stuff, form it into usable material! Goldth Seriously, its been fun to learn more about steel mill operations from forum members in the know. I suppose we modelers can make it as simple or complex as we wish! I posted a thread of some pics of my steel mill complex, a VERY simple operation. Smile

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=551">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=551</a><!-- l -->

Ralph
Ralph Wrote:Hee Hee! I figure all of those days spent photographing mills probably gave you some inkling. Smile How hard can it be? Melt stuff, form it into usable material! Goldth Seriously, its been fun to learn more about steel mill operations from forum members in the know. I suppose we modelers can make it as simple or complex as we wish! I posted a thread of some pics of my steel mill complex, a VERY simple operation. Smile

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=551">viewtopic.php?f=24&t=551</a><!-- l -->

Ralph

Ralph, have you ever seen the British TV show "Top Gear?" It seems every time those guys get in trouble starts with "How hard can it be?" Then the producers decide to give them the assignment to build an amphibious car, or a flying car, or a reusable space shuttle, you get the picture?
Russ,
I like the concept...Quick, give me a ladle for that molten steel! Goldth

Ralph
It used to be possible to tour the steel mills in Hamilton; I was taken there in high school. Hamilton's old style mills are a more interesting visit than the new, sanitary, all-behind-glass mills.
Don't visit in January. A little elementary physics will tell you that the the hot air produced by the bast furnace rises straight up and is replaced by cold air directly off the lake. You can freeze standing 40 feet from molten steel.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:It used to be possible to tour the steel mills in Hamilton; I was taken there in high school. Hamilton's old style mills are a more interesting visit than the new, sanitary, all-behind-glass mills.
Don't visit in January. A little elementary physics will tell you that the the hot air produced by the bast furnace rises straight up and is replaced by cold air directly off the lake. You can freeze standing 40 feet from molten steel.

Unfortunately, most of Stelco's old-style mills are gone, fed back into the furnaces from whence they came. Their railroad, once employing 29 diesel locomotives, is but a shadow of its former self.

Here's a LINK to some info on the operation, including some interesting photos. The hi-riser cars, used extensively where I worked, are built on old steam loco tenders, and were saved when the locos came in for scrapping.

And, David, you're right about how cold it gets there in the winter - I worked in the Universal Slabbing Mill, and checking the north end (near the lake) soaking pits in January was almost surreal, with snowdrifts on the steel plate floor, and ingots in the soaking pits 20' away sitting at 2350 degrees F.

Wayne
Hi Val, yes it's me. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work, I've always admired it greatly. Glad to see you have renewed interest. I've been doing more on the layout recently as well, being unemployed has helped in that regard!

Take care, Gary
Wayne, thanks for the link. I've bookmarked that site for it's info on Parkdale Yard, but I never noticed the Stelco page. There is a great wealth of information on that site but it is sometimes hard to find.

Hey Gary, great to see you again! Sorry to hear you are unemployed though. Sad

Val
I'll bet you make a real nice job of those models, Val. I'm looking forward to watching this come together.

Post lots of pix, now! [Image: takeapicture.gif]

Christopher [Image: thclown.gif]
Clowning around with trains.

[Image: BusterA.jpg]
Thanks Chris - great to see you back!!! No pix for awhile - I am still planning and waiting for pre-orders, although I did pick up the Walthers ore bridge crane at the LHS yesterday, along with a Bachmann GE 45 tonner that was on sale for the ridiculous price of $100 - and that includes factory installed DCC!

Looking forward to starting on the bridge crane this weekend.

cheers
Val
Quote:and there's also a peninsula running off that section which could be very interesting.... perhaps a harbour scene.

I like the thought of a harbor. I still have the "laker" pics you posted. I keep them for reference. I did a waterline model, 38' boat, for GC Laser (my first venture into autocad) It would be great for touring the harbor.
First though, have fun with the mill complex. That should keep you busy "for a minute or two"! :mrgreen:

It's good to have you back in the neighborhood.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
WOW,the entire series Confusedhock: i wish i had the space just for THOSE buildings alone.i cant wait to see'em,but ill be waitin here just like everyone else Misngth --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Sumpter250 Wrote:
Quote:and there's also a peninsula running off that section which could be very interesting.... perhaps a harbour scene.

I like the thought of a harbor. I still have the "laker" pics you posted. I keep them for reference. I did a waterline model, 38' boat, for GC Laser (my first venture into autocad) It would be great for touring the harbor.
First though, have fun with the mill complex. That should keep you busy "for a minute or two"! :mrgreen:

It's good to have you back in the neighborhood.

Wow that sounds cool Pete and knowing you I'm sure it's a beauty!!! And, it's good to be back! I"ve missed you guys!

Josh, after some email discussions with Dr Wayne, I've revised the building pre-orders a little. Instead of getting the Blower Engine House kit, I've added a second rolling mill.

I'm going to start on the bridge crane tonight.

cheers
Val