Big Steel! Update Feb 15/09
I'm doing the same thing in N scale... look forward to seeing how you progress!!
Can't wait for the pics.

Hey...Is that the "Jeopardy" theme I hear.......
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Can't wait for the pics.
Hey...Is that the "Jeopardy" theme I hear.......

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Okay Ed, just for you here's an update. I've been working on the bridge crane kit for the dockside area. The main assembly is done. All the remains is the operator's cab and clamshell bucket assembly. I did not take progress pix - it's a kit after all. But will post the finished model.

Meanwhile, I have been working on a revised track plan for the steel mill area. I am going to have to add another foot of width to the benchwork to accommodate this plan. The tricky part was to get the high rail in to the blast furnace, based on some excellent advice from Dr Wayne. The high rail is in orange. Mainline is the thicker rail.

[Image: steel_trackage.jpg]

In figuring out the track, I've tried to set it up to allow for external loads in and out, as well as some internal transfers, which will be handled by the mill's own switchers.

I've been corresponding with Wayne, and he's been giving me some excellent info. He suggested getting 2 rolling mills for more flexibility, so that's what I've ordered. He also suggested 2 blast furnaces, but there just isn't room. I will have to use photo's on the backdrop to suggest more blast furnaces.

The rolling mill kits have open sides, allowing for detailed interiors. I have always loved the look of those giant ladles pouring molten metal, giant overhead cranes, and lots of stairs and catwalks - so hopefully I can do that in one of the mills.

Here are some shots that I'm using for inspiration.

This first shot is Stelco in Hamilton - the main inspiration for the mill. Taken on a little tour of industrial Hamilton conducted by Wayne a couple summers ago.

[Image: 4.jpg]

I can't remember where I found this second shot, but that's the kind of scene I'm going to want to build in the interior of one of the mills.

[Image: open_hearth_pour.jpg]

cheers
Val
Clever reconfiguring of the plan Val! As I recall you were trying to accommodate track on both sides of the furnace, right? I like the whole plan.
I have "some other mill" on my layout too. Smile As for interior details of mills with the ladles I recall a Model Railroader tour of the Serverna Park Club layout that featured a superb steel complex with these details. I'll see if I can find some images of it.

Ralph
Cover shot: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://severnapark.railfan.net/nov84.jpg">http://severnapark.railfan.net/nov84.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Rats! I couldn't find more with Google images or other searches. That issue of MR has some nice pics though. Note the $2.00 issue price. The good ol' days! Smile
Cool Ralph. I found their website but there are no pix there, except for some covers of MRR.

Anyway, here's some more inspiring photos I've collected over the years.

[Image: stoker.jpg] [Image: 2454-22-a1.jpg]

[Image: ab23821.jpg]

[Image: chargingbofl.jpg]

cheers
Val
What must it be like to stand that close!!!!!??!!!! Eek
Ralph
Looks good, Val. I have one question, how far is the reach in if you have a derailment on the back part of the curve for the "high line?" Do you have any ideas for modeling the molten steel? That bright orange glow would look awesome on a model railroad!
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Looks good, Val. I have one question, how far is the reach in if you have a derailment on the back part of the curve for the "high line?" Do you have any ideas for modeling the molten steel? That bright orange glow would look awesome on a model railroad!

Yeah, it's a bit of a reach. That part of the benchwork is 3 ft wide, or will be. I plan to keep the step stool handy. Big Grin

Val
Congrats, Val!! And I can't wait to see your progress pics!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Val, I hope you don't mind but I did find some pictures of Stelco Plant, thought it might give you some ideas.    

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:jmarksbery@aol.com">jmarksbery@aol.com</a><!-- e -->

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
More, 2285_

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
Last one I have, 219

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
Many thanks for the photo's Jim! I have that aerial shot and have been referring to it a lot lately. I've downloaded the others. They sure are super detailed - wow! what have I gotten myself into????

Edit: that building with all the dust collectors would make a great low relief background building.

cheers
Val
You are a great modeler Val, and I am positive you will view the pictures and make yours just as impressive as the real thing Popcornbeer

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry