Walther's New Steel Industry ~~ **Future Plans**
Edited the bottom level of this layout to have the true dimensions of the ore dock. The final length of the ore dock will be just over 11'. Single sided, double track. And well you can get the picture from reading the short description in the drawling above the ore dock lol

[Image: 79ab758b.jpg]

The Top level is going to be completely re-worked to include more details and better building layouts. The Open Hearth Furnace will also not be included as i found out that the BOF pretty much replaced the OHF overnight lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I was advised that if i would want to do some running on the second level with my large engines, that i needed to raise the minimum radius for the entire level from 22" to at least 28" so thats what i did lol. It made it so i needed to make some basic changes to the plan involving the small yard and the lead to the Ore Dock. Here is what i did with the new plan and the 28" minimum radius

[Image: c16ebff6.jpg]

The Top level, which will be the mill itself, will not have to have such a large radius, and i can stick too 22" because i wont be running anything more then little switchers and small geeps
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Wow! That ore dock scene is going to be a real eye catching center piece! I can see it now!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures/josephlblock-6-25-01-kr-pg.jpg">http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpicture ... -kr-pg.jpg</a><!-- m -->

I'm looking forward to developments!
Ralph
Ralph Wrote:Wow! That ore dock scene is going to be a real eye catching center piece! I can see it now!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpictures/josephlblock-6-25-01-kr-pg.jpg">http://www.boatnerd.com/news/newpicture ... -kr-pg.jpg</a><!-- m -->

I'm looking forward to developments!
Ralph

Thanks Ralph, it sure will Misngth Misngth

BTW, thats a sweet pic you posted, thanks Misngth Imma need to get a couple ore ships to flll the length of the dock lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I started to re-work the top level trying to add in some of the buildings that would be found near and around the Blast Furnace's

Here is what i came up with so far

[Image: df577beb.jpg]

Ill give this a color code for the buildings that i could not fit text in

Red are Pump House's
Dark Blue Is a Gas Storage Tank and serves as a view block for the track that comes off the Highline Raw Materials Bridge
Light Blue are Machine Shops
Brown is the Quencher Car to Coke Hopper Transfer Building
Purple is the Highline Raw Materials Bridge
Pink is the Furnace Stoves and Piping
Yellow Track is a track that remains at Higfhline Raw Materials level and travels to the Quencher Car to Coke Hopper Transfer Building. Quencher cars would come in on ground level, dumping there loads into conveyor pits where they would be pushed up to the top of the building and into the Coke Hoppers
White tracks are the tracks that are the incline going up to the Highline Raw Materials Bridge

I was not able to fit the BOF or the Rolling Mills in on this level Nope nor the Bridge Cranes Nope so i think that the Bridge Cranes might be out and ill just stick to the one harbor scene on the bottom level.

As for the BOF and Rolling Mill, I was thinking this. And okay i admit, i am calling myself crazy for even saying this. But i was thinking a third smaller level for the BOF and Rolling Mills. This level would be come the bottom or middle level. If i could figure out the details on the of all 3 levels, it might just work out and be possible, although the top level would be very high and the bottom level very low.

Im thinking like this, the Top level has benchwork that is 42" wide on the top wall, 30" wide on the right wall, 24" wide on the left wall, and 30" wide on the bottom wall. If i could do a second level of 36" wide on the top wall, leave the left wall blank so there is no second level on it, the right wall with 26" wide, and the bottom wall with 26" wide, this would leave the bottom level with 24" all around which it already is. I was thinking of running vertical supports from each levels benchwork down to the floor on all 4 walls, with the benchwork attached to the walls in the backs of each level.

This way the Top level could have its on vertical supports on the top, right, and bottom walls running all the way down to the floor. The second level could have its own vertical supports running down to the floor on the top, right and bottom walls without interfering with the top level. And the bottom level's supports could be run down to the floor on all 4 walls. On the left wall, the supports would come down off the front of the benchwork and go onto the bottom levels base and be supported that way instead of going all the way to the floor.

Does this make sense? Ill have to draw an overhead of my thinking to better explain this lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
unless you already knew abouyt it josh,the library of congress website has hundreds of steel mill buildings drawn in alot of detail and layouts of the entire mills themselves all for free.i saved and printed just about all of them.but the plan ou have right now still looks great Thumbsup --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Okay, so here is a drawling explaining what i mean in my last post

[Image: da16e94a.jpg]

This is backwards, but it was the only way i could do it

the GREEN is the TOP level which is 42" on top wall, 24" on left wall, 30" on right wall, and 30" on bottom wall. The BLACK is the MIDDLE level which is 30" on top wall, 26" on right wall, and 26" on bottom wall with the left wall being left blank and no benchwork for the second level there, and the TEAL/BLUE is the BOTTOM level which measures 24" deep on all 4 walls and also has a lift out for continuous running.

With that said, the levels would be secured to the walls on the backs of each level. On the front of each level's benchwork, there would be vertical supports running down to the ground.

So,

~~The GREEN level would be secured to the wall and have vertical supports running to the floor around the front edges of the top wall, right wall, left wall, and bottom wall sections of the benchwork
~~The BLACK level would be secured to the wall and have vertical supports running to the floor around the front edges of the top wall, right wall and bottom wall sections of the benchwork
~~And the TEAL/BLUE level would be secured to the wall and have vertical supports running to the floor around the front edges of the top wall, right wall, left wall, and bottom wall sections of the benchwork

Does this make sense?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Bigsteel Wrote:unless you already knew abouyt it josh,the library of congress website has hundreds of steel mill buildings drawn in alot of detail and layouts of the entire mills themselves all for free.i saved and printed just about all of them.but the plan ou have right now still looks great Thumbsup --josh

SWEET Josh!! Thanks for the tip ill have to check them out Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
it makes sense but wouldnt the top levels bracing to the floor cover up some of the lower levels?
about the haers site,you kinda really have to search for them,but heres an example of the massive buildings and details.its a open hearth furnace form pittsburgh steel http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?col...mem_1OfW:: just click on the images then download as an adobe file and you should be able to open them.they are also VERY high resolution.--josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
If your maximum depth on the shelving is 24", Knape and Vogt make a 24" shelf bracket that, when mounted with the appropriate heavy duty brackets and proper screws to wall studs, can hold a 400lb load. More than enough for a model railroad. You wouldn't need any front supports then.

This is the same hardware I used.

Brackets:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.knapeandvogt.com/182_Decorative_Heavy-Duty_Brackets.html?page=details.133#details">http://www.knapeandvogt.com/182_Decorat ... 33#details</a><!-- m -->

Standards:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.knapeandvogt.com/82_Decorative_Heavy-Duty_Standards.html?page=details.139">http://www.knapeandvogt.com/82_Decorati ... etails.139</a><!-- m -->

I purchased mine from a dealer at amazon.com
Bigsteel Wrote:it makes sense but wouldnt the top levels bracing to the floor cover up some of the lower levels?

There would be vertical supports that would block the view of the lower levels slightly. I was going to use 2x2's for vertical supports. I was also going to put each vertical support for each level in a row. Lets say that the top level has a support somewhere in the middle of the level running to the floor. The middle layer would have a vertical support running to the floor in the same exact spot as the level above. The bottom would leevl would do the same so when you stand back and look at it, you only see one support running down to the floor in that particular spot for all 3 levels.

On my old layout which is made with a very sturdy 2x2 frame with 1/2" plywood base and 2x2 vertical supports, the supports are spaced every 42" Construction on this future layout would be much the same in the spacing of the supports. My old layout serves as a work bench, and with my shelf layout, i had to stand on my workbench to do work on it. It was plenty strong to hold me up without bending or bowing, granted im only about 150 pounds, but..... lol

Bigsteel Wrote:about the haers site,you kinda really have to search for them,but heres an example of the massive buildings and details.its a open hearth furnace form pittsburgh steel http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?col...mem_1OfW:: just click on the images then download as an adobe file and you should be able to open them.they are also VERY high resolution.--josh

Thanks for the tips about the site and stuff. I wasnt able to look at it last night, i got pretty tired fast and the girlfriend wanted to talk on the phone Misngth and today im just on in the morning, so ill have to try and check out the site later tonight when i get back home Misngth

I did click on the link you posted above and WOW those are huge! Im going to take a closer look at those plans later, im not using an OHF but they are still interesting to look at Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
nolatron Wrote:If your maximum depth on the shelving is 24", Knape and Vogt make a 24" shelf bracket that, when mounted with the appropriate heavy duty brackets and proper screws to wall studs, can hold a 400lb load. More than enough for a model railroad. You wouldn't need any front supports then.

This is the same hardware I used.

Brackets:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.knapeandvogt.com/182_Decorative_Heavy-Duty_Brackets.html?page=details.133#details">http://www.knapeandvogt.com/182_Decorat ... 33#details</a><!-- m -->

Standards:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.knapeandvogt.com/82_Decorative_Heavy-Duty_Standards.html?page=details.139">http://www.knapeandvogt.com/82_Decorati ... etails.139</a><!-- m -->

I purchased mine from a dealer at amazon.com

Shaun, thanks for the link!! Those will work well on my left wall then and might allow me to do a section on the middle level for a continuous run on that level as well!! The left wall is the only section that would have 24" deep benchwork on this plan, and the whole bottom level i could prolly do that way. but who knows, this is just a basic who plan for the future, who knows where the door and how big of a room i can actually get in the future lol. A whole garage in a nice house would be nice, or if i get a large backyard, build a nice shed out there for my train room with insulation. When i used to work at Lowes, we sold sheds close to these dimensions of my plan and they were about $5000 w/o insulation. Add a couple more hundred and you got a nice insulated shed. Now just have to hook up some electrical outlets and your set lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Bigsteel Wrote:unless you already knew abouyt it josh,the library of congress website has hundreds of steel mill buildings drawn in alot of detail and layouts of the entire mills themselves all for free.i saved and printed just about all of them.but the plan ou have right now still looks great Thumbsup --josh

Josh i just finished searching for the BOF's and i got some hits, as well as a couple plant maps, thanks for the tip on that site!! Misngth Its been very useful to me Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here is the start of the Middle Level

I am focusing on more detail and placing buildings that would actually be around the main buildings. I will need to do this on the top level more as well

[Image: 55cf44fb.jpg]

So starting from the top,

we have the Electric Arc Furnace. It is built as a building backdrop building with dimensions of 5" wide x 80" long x 20" tall.
Next we have the Rolling Mill below it. This is 2 of the Walthers new Rolling MIll kits bashed together into one LONG mill lol
Next to the Rolling Mill in RED is another Pump House. Its Pump House #4 on the layout
Below the Pump House is a Tube Mill.
Below the Rolling Mill in GOLD is the Rod Mill
To the left of this is the Wire Mill.
Above the Wire Mill is Broiler House # 3 on the layout
The GRAY buildings are Blacksmith Shop (top left GRAY building), Carpentry Shop (top right GRAY building), and the General Office for the area (bottom GRAY building)
Next to these is the Pattern Shop
The Store House is next
And next to the Store House is Machine Shop #3 in LIGHT BLUE
Below on the Bottom is a small staging yard for freight on this level of the layout

Coming Next will be the HUGE Basic Oxygen Furnace, which will be the LARGEST building on the whole layout. Somewhere in the size of 26" wide x 150" long!! lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but do you know what you want to use to make the BOF? I was thinking about doing something similar for my layout, but I think I may just go with the electric arc furnace.

-Dr.J