Scale/Gauge Comparison
Just out of interest I would like to point out that the "Golden Ratio" is 1.61803398875 and at 1 : 1.33 we are starting to get very close.
For a fun read Google Golden Ratio it applies to all sorts of things.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
1:1.33 , is close ( just s shade bigger ) to 3/4 inch = 1inch Eek Icon_twisted 357
Thank you, but I'll stay with 0.01148105625, which is Icon_twisted 1/87.1 or HO scale. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
MM - I've got a few HOn3 truss rod boxcars, and an N-scale steel caboose, and I can tell you they aren't even visually close in size - if that helps you any. I thought about this issue years ago when I thought of "up sizing" N-scale cars into HOn3, but then I saw that they really aren't close enough in size, so it is much easier to just cut down standard gauge cars. I've seen some N-scale freight cars of the 1890-1920 era, but I agree, they are not very common.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:MM - I've got a few HOn3 truss rod boxcars, and an N-scale steel caboose, and I can tell you they aren't even visually close in size - if that helps you any. I thought about this issue years ago when I thought of "up sizing" N-scale cars into HOn3, but then I saw that they really aren't close enough in size, so it is much easier to just cut down standard gauge cars. I've seen some N-scale freight cars of the 1890-1920 era, but I agree, they are not very common.

Thanks - that's a more practical comparison with some easy elements to visualize.

A further though that occurred to me last night is that the hardware- doors, windows, ladders, grab irons and so forth, are gong to be scaled for a standard figure in HO on an HO narrow gauge car, creating addition work.

I'm coming to the same conclusion you did - just have to start reworking cars, dang it. Maybe I'll use reefers as a basis - they were wooden built long after box cars began to incorporate steel. Have to take a long look at things like available time, rolling stock, and how likely I am to be able to complete such a lengthy project at my age with aging eyes and fumble fingers. "Golden years" my @#$%*! Icon_lol
HO scale 1:87.1
HOn3 scale 1:87.1
Ratio is 1:1
Am I misunderstanding the question?
Cid
cid Wrote:HO scale 1:87.1
HOn3 scale 1:87.1
Ratio is 1:1
Am I misunderstanding the question?

Yes. Narrow gauge locos and rolling stock are smaller than their standard gauge counterparts. Given that an HON3 can run on N track, the question becomes "what is the comparison between the smaller HON car and it's N scale standard gauge counterpart"? The intent was to see if I could easily convert HO narrow gauge rolling stock to standard gauge N scale use, given that HON carries an number of cars from the late 1800's - early 1900's and N scale doesn't.

So far, the practical answer is "no" - however, it would be possible to take many of the HON parts and cut them down to make the proper wooden sides and so forth, with care around things like doors, grab handles, ladders and so forth which would have to be replaced since they wold be larger than scale.

Just one of those wild ideas I sometimes suffer from...always asking "could I?" or "what if I..."? Smile
Still the wrong gauge...
HOn3 is 10.5 mm and N is 9 mm.....
It would be much easier to scratch build the cars!
Graffen Wrote:Still the wrong gauge...
HOn3 is 10.5 mm and N is 9 mm.....
It would be much easier to scratch build the cars!

Yep...
I think MDC/Roundhouse once offered truss rod "old time" cars in N scale. May be limited run items, but you may find some available online. You may want to check Micro-trains, too. I know I've seen them before - but I doubt they are popular items for a brick-and-mortar hobby shop to stock in N scale.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->