Freelance 2013
Brakie Wrote:...Vending machines can be found in one of the most less modeled yard buildings..The break/lunch room for the yard crew and carmen.This building has employee lockers,vending machines,long lunch tables and rest rooms.Most have a company phone that the conductor could call the yardmaster...
It was my assumption that all of that is in the yard office building. At least at the small UP J-Yard in LA. There are no further buildings at the yard. Therefor my question about vending machines.
Reinhard
It's coming along very nicely , Reinhard ...I like your attention to the little details . Thumbsup

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
Reinhard,Judging by the size of BLMA's yard office I suspect it would have a pop and snack machine for creature comfort..There probably a large employee coffee pot as well.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Still playing with my old sound decoders. The GP15 has the sound decoder and the Genset became a dummy. The "dummy Genset" is no probelm since the Genset will never run alone and it's buddy is still powered.
[Image: file_zpsdd8ee7ec.jpg]
Reinhard
So you're feeling more comfortable with sound? Since prototype videos on Youtube and DVD have real sound these days, I'm attracted more and more to sound in the model environment, assuming it can be done in a non-irritating way. I certainly like the sounds on Youtube or DVDs at a normal level.
jwb Wrote:So you're feeling more comfortable with sound? ...
Not really. The high pitch sound for the bell is ok but the low pitch of the diesel motor is lousy with that small speakers. The other problem is a permanent humming sound from ESU (sound and none sound) decoders (most people don't hear it at all). It is like living next to a power transformer during a silent night to me.
I am afraid the sound decoders will have another dormant session in the cabinet soon....

A bell and horn circuit with speaker are installed under the layout and have two push buttons in the fascia. That is the better choice for me to keep me busy as the engineer without giving up the excellent Zimo decoders.

However, that should not be generalized because I am very sensitive to noise and have the hearing capability of a child.
Reinhard
I made up my mind and replaced the ESU sound decoder with Zimo plain DCC decoder in the GP15. One of each pair of Gensets became a dummy. That permits the combinations of Genset/Genset(D), GP15-1/Genset(D) and GP38-2/Genset(D). That is a nice collection of choices seen in the LA basin without speed matching problems and only one drive noise. Finally became a SW1500 a dummy too. I like the prototypical combination of GP15-1/SW1500(D).
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:I made up my mind and replaced the ESU sound decoder with Zimo plain DCC decoder in the GP15. One of each pair of Gensets became a dummy. That permits the combinations of Genset/Genset(D), GP15-1/Genset(D) and GP38-2/Genset(D). That is a nice collection of choices seen in the LA basin without speed matching problems and only one drive noise. Finally became a SW1500 a dummy too. I like the prototypical combination of GP15-1/SW1500(D).

I used to have the hearing ability of a child, but since I have worked in noisy environment (including the use of hearing protection), it has deteriorated a little (not that bad yet) but I have not yet heard an ESU decoder hum, but I will also be the first to say that I've never heard one in a completely quiet environment.
Other DCC decoders also make noises, from high pitched buzz an squeals to pulsing noises, usually emitted by the motor when driven, but then again I own no Zimo decoders and could be that those are completely silent. I do have some Lenz Gold decoders which are also pretty quiet, but they don't have the flexibility for auxilary output lighting programming that I'd like. If ever your ESU sound decoder come up for sale, before sticking them on e-bay I would like to know as I'd be happy experimenting with one. I know I might need a programmer, but I know some people who have one, so that's not a huge issue.

Love the switcher lashups, and using dummies is a good idea, saves hassle of matching as you say, and reduces power draw.

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Corman is pushing hard to get a contract in SoCal too. I love freelance .... 357
[Image: file_zps9a7512ae.jpg]

Koos, the surrounding sound is an important fact evaluating decoders. There is currently some construction work going on across the street and all of a sudden are all my engines as quiet as it can be Wink That will change today after 10pm when the village falls asleep Sad
I will keep the ESU sound decoders for sure. Most of my steam engines are sound equipped and I need some spare if I go to steam in the (far) future.
Reinhard
Corman is pushing hard to get a contract in SoCal too. I love freelance ....
--------------------------------------
R.J.Corman Pacific Lines..

Does have a nice sound to it. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
An oldie and a young lady on their way downtown to pickup some nice boxcars
[Image: file_zps6f84e49a.jpg]
Reinhard
I don't about you guys but I do love those GP38.s....
Really like these locomotive combinations. Has me considering kit bashing one of the L&N slugs that were built in the 70s, like this former RS-3 slug:    
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Reinhard
Don't forget the Santa Fe slugs: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tinyurl.com/c35l6jd">http://tinyurl.com/c35l6jd</a><!-- m -->
Most were 6 axle ALCOs but there were a few 4 axle EMDs. Think the slugs mostly worked in the yards.
Santa Fe did have 5 GP7Bs that worked out on the road: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tinyurl.com/cey5cgj">http://tinyurl.com/cey5cgj</a><!-- m -->
But they spent most of their lives in TX.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Truly cool. Maybe a few more bums in cardboard houses. Really, excellent modeling.