Freelance 2013
BNSF uses a shoving platform to serve the east industry
[Image: file_zps9e418b54.jpg]
Reinhard
Overall that's a wonderful shot. Have you considered getting/making a portable skyboard/backdrop for shots like that so you could block out the window?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Overall that's a wonderful shot. Have you considered getting/making a portable skyboard/backdrop for shots like that so you could block out the window?
You are right. I should have a temporary backdrop at the door for photos.
Reinhard
Reinhard

What make is the Billboard and where did you get the KIIS FM poster from?

Colin
Great!

What brand are your turnouts and what number?
postman Wrote:Great!

What brand are your turnouts and what number?
All tracks and switches are Atlas code 83. The switches are #6. Only the 3-way switch is a Peco product.
Reinhard
colinw62 Wrote:Reinhard

Colin
I don't want to speak for Reinhard, who is eminently capable of speaking for his own excellent work, but there's a Youtube about the billboards at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3JO5VkmXWQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3JO5VkmXWQ</a><!-- m -->
colinw62 Wrote:Reinhard

Colin
Colin, the billboard is scratch build. It lacks a lot of the details of the BLMA model. The poster is grabbed and edited with Photoshop from a billboard located 50 yards south of the intersection of S. Santa Fe and E.15 St in LA. They did change it in the meantime.
I did scan my hard disk but did not save the image of the poster, sorry.

ps. I watched the BLMA video (thanks John). They recommend to drill a laaaaarge hole. I suggest to glue a nail in the bottom of the billboard and go with a small hole in your layout.

pps. There is a photo of the billboard in the internet I have a copy of on my hard disk. It is named 5492.1282011494.jpg and has a copyright notice of RailPictures.Net Charles Freericks. It shows a UPY Genset in the LA area and the billboard. the link is: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=334906&nseq=23">http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 06&nseq=23</a><!-- m -->
Reinhard
Too quiet here... Eek
Painkiller Wrote:Too quiet here... Eek
Everything is fine. But two things happened
a. I am really satisfied with the current layout and have no plans to change time, location or track plan. There is only one building that might be redone this summer. But I am operating the layout daily. The excursion into "brick land" some month ago was very helpful to learn what I really want. That is SoCal past 2005. I missed it so much when I had Morton salt and the Cleveland mill on my layout.
90% of the time is the layout operated with four UP consists (GP15+SW1500(D), Genset+Genset(D), Genset+Genset(D), GP15+Genset(D) (D=dummy)). Some time I toy around with e.g. the patched ex CR Geeps, BNSF GP35U etc. But that last never longer than an evening.

b. We will go on Thursday on vacation for three weeks (scuba diving at the Red Sea) again. That prohibits any mayor projects anyhow.

A Santa FE Proto 2000 GP7 is on my work desk to become a BNSF GP7U. Worked last night on the cab made from a Athearn CF7 cab (provided a perfect roof shape but has the side windows off centered). Topic for today is the short hood to become a low one. But that project will be put on hold while we are on vacation. The engine will be ready some time later in June.
[Image: file_zps2ceaf842.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard
Perry Lambert of Santa Fe Prototypes is coming out w/ the Topeka cab. It's been in "development" the last 4-5 years but he had problems getting it done in China so now Railflyer? of Canada is doing it. Have mine on order & have a P2K Santa Fe Warbonnet GP7 waiting patiently for it! BTW read recently that Santa Fe GPs were used on LAJ but they couldn't handle alot of their sharp curves like CF7s could.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.santafeprototypes.com/">http://www.santafeprototypes.com/</a><!-- m -->
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
lajry Wrote:...Perry Lambert of Santa Fe Prototypes is coming out w/ the Topeka cab. It's been in "development" the last 4-5 years but he had problems getting it done in China so now Railflyer? of Canada is doing it.
Andy, good the know a possible source for the topeka cab in (the far?) future Wink

lajry Wrote:...read recently that Santa Fe GPs were used on LAJ but they couldn't handle alot of their sharp curves like CF7s could....
I did read similar things but still wonder how they do it today with GP60. Someone wrote in the West Coast Forum that the tracks have been improved over the last years to handle heavy units. A lot of track served industry is today without rails. I assume the former sharp curves are not in use anymore.
Reinhard
lajry Wrote:...read recently that Santa Fe GPs were used on LAJ but they couldn't handle alot of their sharp curves like CF7s could....
I did read similar things but still wonder how they do it today with GP60. Someone wrote in the West Coast Forum that the tracks have been improved over the last years to handle heavy units. A lot of track served industry is today without rails. I assume the former sharp curves are not in use anymore.[/quote]

What I'd seen had more to do w/ GP7/9u in 2000 series done in early-mid '70s along w/ CF7s. And they came in the WARBONNET scheme!
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
Just a thought. Maybe you could use the side wall with centered windows from a Canon kit and bashing it in to the CF7 cab? Cheers
Painkiller Wrote:Just a thought. Maybe you could use the side wall with centered windows from a Canon kit and bashing it in to the CF7 cab? Cheers
I have matching side walls from the P2K cab but I was afraid to remove side and rear walls from the CF7 cab at the same time. My cutting, putty and sanding skill is not very well developed....
Reinhard