A highway overpass concealing track thru backdrop
Very nicely done sir. When it's finished it should be a real nice addition to your already impressive layout.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Your highway is on the right way! That retaining wall is particularly impressive. I like the fact yoru ramp is long enough to be believeable.

For the crossing, I remember old ones when I was a kid. For main road, a lumber on each side of each rail with asphalt filling between them. I also remember other crossing where the lumbers were replaced with a steel angle or a rail placed on its side.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Thanks Steve, and Matt. I like the idea of a timber on each side of the rail and asphalt between, will start that during the week, should be fun around that frog.
That's really looking good, Gary. The crossing at an angle, along with the creek and other trackage really makes that area visually appealing.

The crossing shown below was done with styrene and seems to function okay track-wise:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-7.jpg]

Here's planks with pavement:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-2.jpg]

...and planks with gravel, although you could easily replace the gravel sections with pavement on a more well-travelled road:

[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007thirdcd5.jpg]

Wayne
Hi Wayne, you did beautiful work fitting that styrene around the guardrails. As I mentioned above, I was thinking to use timbers alongside the rails. Then I wondered what I would do around the guardrails. So now I'm thinking I will remove the guardrails and instead of timber use new guardrails the entire length of the crossing. Then I can fill between with asphalt as before. I will still use timbers along the other rails. Before I do so I thought I'd mention it here and give you all a chance to chime in. Thanks!
That should work well, Gary, and look good, too. I seem to recall seeing a crossing made-up with rail instead of planks or pavement - it may have been on one of the crossings within the steel plant where I worked. I don't know how the rails would have been held in place - perhaps with clips bolted into the ties? As I recall, there were gaps between the rail tops, but they weren't terribly wide, and it was very smooth driving over it.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. The big problem I have with HO scale grade crossings is the unsightly large gap between the rail and pavement (or timber, or rail) needed to operate through it. But unless you go fine scale I don't see an option unless you are building a static model!
Yeah, it's difficult to disguise those flangeways, and probably the best we can do is to paint the ties and spaces between them either black or a colour similar to that of the road. I wouldn't want to be an LPB in a vehicle going over them at high speed, though. Eek Misngth

Wayne
So I've got some more work done. I replaced the guardrails on the turnout with longer ones and filled the area with plaster. I used a freight car truck to clear the flangeway. Operations have been good so I'm happy. Also got the roadway between the highway and crossing fastened in place and primed. I basically have to paint the road and can then get the ground work done. Unfortunately I won't get more done before I leave for vacation. So it will be March before I can get back to it but here are some photos of progress.

The inside of the overpass

Here is the crossing. I've painted the plaster with concrete color checking for dips and peaks. It will be asphalt.

Just ashot I like. I have a lot of planks on the platform to repair. I had run a lot of equipment down the line to check for clearance, but I managed to use a loco with lower wider steps and had to cut the platform back. Many broke further in when I applied pressure with a knife. So, after vacation....

Here is a view looking down the street from the highway

The abandoned brewery

The retaining wall

The road was built with a layer of .010 on top of .060 The .010 is 3" wide and the .060 is 4". I'll have 1/2" shoulders on each side. I had blue insulation foam stacked beneath and just removed some till I got the grade I wanted. There were only a few places I actually made contact with the foam. Here you can see the gaps beneath teh road which will get filled when I apply the ground.

Just a scene I think will look good when done.

I used spackle to fill in low spots and the road is ready for cleaning and painting.

Lookin' good, Gary. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Enjoy your vacation. Cheers

Wayne
I tried using grey foam sheet from A.C. Moore and got a very nice looking road .I took a ultra fine yellow paint pen and made a center line very lightly. Then dusted some black pastel dust very lightly. (after paint dried). Then took a vehicle and run it through the black dust. and across the center line as there was a industrial road coming in This made the paint appear worn at the turn. last was to seal it. I don't remember what I used to seal it with, probably dulcoat. The foam was correct thickness to run right up to track and easily cut with xacto knife for tight fit. It was a little thick for between the rails if you use Kadees with the wire on them. You might want to sand the foam a little for between the rails. I didn't sand it and the trip wire drags a very small amount which put a black stain on the foam looking like oil & dirt. This isn't a very good photo of it but it is all I can find right now. Give it a try, its not like it is expensive. get a sheet a play around with it.

[Image: 100_1917a1.jpg]
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
Hi Lester, that's a fine looking road! I just finished putting lines on my highway and was wondering about ways to simulate the trails left by rubber on road. The method you describe must be done subtly as I don't see obvious lines running down the road. I've been wondering how to recreate the effect of parallel dark lines running down the road. It seems impossible, two lines consistently parallel and evenly spaced, yet with no defined edges. Funnily I realized I had painted some concrete road years ago, here is a pic of it. I went for one line between the tires! Easier for sure.

Here is the road I need to weather and a good view of the retaining wall. The ground work is the early stages. The island at the exit was to be filled with ground and weeds but I know it needs to be reshaped so it will be scraped up and replaced. A banner will be hung across the highway at the top edge of mirror, and trees on the banks.

The rental place

After putting the initial ground cover in ( I really need dirt in a lighter shade than I get from my yard, and not the clay I get from the infield nearby) This phot shows the removable section the abandoned brewery sits on. The lines will be taken care of upon completion. There are holes in the banks ready for trees.

Another angle. Some tree work needed, and my flagpole switch stand.