S gauge box cars from a box of loose parts
Here are some BFT logo's on assorted rolling stock drawings.

Your BF&T logo and lettering will look good on the box car. I say go for it.

Greg
Yes AF350 ,
it is sometimes a real challenge to build resin kits. You have done it in a proper manner.
Often these kits consits of an accumulation of parts, you are finding in the box "carving patterns without obligations" Wink
Leaving you alone to explore the right way to errect the body and for this you have made a well done mastering of the challenge. Thumbsup

Lutz
Well I am at a stopping point on the first box car need to get some flat black paint and some more rusty brown(rust oleum)paint. Placed an order for some S gauge trucks and couplers.

Out of casting supplies so no mold making yet all I can do now is clean up the flash on the parts and build up some more car bodies may paint a blue one for the Gauge big blue, also have some grey primer to do a M.O.W box for the BFT. Sure am glad to have found these kits and wish that they had more of them Smile but I can cast a few coppies for my self Icon_lol

For those who do not already know I have been kitbashing and scratchbuilding in 2 Scales O(On30 to be exact) and S scale. The On30 will have to wait a bit till I can afford to order the parts needed.

Other projects on going are a caboose carved out of bass wood one in O and one in S scale, also have been dragging my feet on an S scale flat have a nice realstic S scale deck but have not built the frame yet(the deck was a commercial part I bought). Also have 2 layouts in process one O gauge and one S gauge and both will have a loop of On30/HO surrounding them. the Table is 10' by 16.5' both layouts are going to be postwar style display layouts with some operating accessories. But I like kitbashing trains better than layout building Icon_lol
Happy day to day,

Mailman brought a long awaited car from atlas O and FEDEX delivered the parts needed to complete the S box cars(10 pairs of trucks and 6 pair of Flyer compatible couplers) 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ Will work on them this weekend, as need to clear drive ways and side walks today.
Well got the shovelling done and managed to attach the trucks and couplers to the first box car 2285_ Along with the trucks and couplers I also ordered 2 1:64th scaled patton tank kits(lindberg I think) to use on a flat that I have built yet, they were $5.00 a kit can not do much better than that.

Well post some pics later on this weekend of the Box car, next step is to get some custom made decales for the box cars.
Well here are the latest pics of box car(still need to add the little Detail parts and roof walks) could not wait to try it on a train, it mafe several laps around a circle of American models track code 148(made to work with both scale and hirail wheel sets).

When you get the grab irons, ladders and handbrake installed it will look really good.

GE
Well I will not be building anything for awhile as computer needs a few things reloaded as it had a major foual up and I had to wipe the HD clean and reinstal windows(after every attempt to fix the corrupted files failed). And the left hand has something wrong, being diabetic I am thinking maybe it is nuropathy or an injury from moving some big boxes around, if it is not better by monday will go to urgent care if the doctor will not see me before the appointment that is already schedualed.
Computer is fixed, hand is improving I may try to build up another box and complete the details on the first one by this weekend.

Materials needed to complete the S box car project:

1. Mold making rubber to make some molds of the body parts
2. More rusty brown paint
3. Custom dry transfers:
a. Decal pro system
b. Laser printer
Well started the assembly of a 2nd box car kit and did some cleanup around the "shop" area also completed a 1:64th scale army tank for a flat load. And then ran some trains.

I found that I have some new unopened resin but need some mold rubber to make molds of the main parts of the box car. Will have some pics of progress soon.
Here is the latest progress,

I just had a homer simpson moment(Duh-oo)

there are 2 types of car ends and 2 types of doors and of course I have miss matched ends on the 2nd car........oh well. It was nice and square, so something had to be wrong with it but when I seen what I had done the glue was already set up. I knew this build was to easy Icon_lol

Laid out the parts to measure(estimation) to see what size mold box will hold 1 each of the 2 door types, the 2 end types, a side, and bottom. Looks like a 10" x 10" box will work. This mold will be a simple one part mold(may make 2 molds). The roof will have to be a 2 part mold being it does not have a flat back.
Glued roof and floor to the box car and made a mold box just waiting for mold and casting supplies to be delivered.

The 2nd box car that I have assembled will be a M.O.W. box car primer grey paint with some heavy weathering?

Once I have the remainder of box cars built up will add details to them.

As for decals that will have to wait till I build up the hobby funds to get the decal pro dry transfer system.
AF350 Wrote:I just had a homer simpson moment(Duh-oo)

there are 2 types of car ends and 2 types of doors and of course I have miss matched ends on the 2nd car........oh well. It was nice and square, so something had to be wrong with it but when I seen what I had done the glue was already set up. I knew this build was to easy Icon_lol

Laid out the parts to measure(estimation) to see what size mold box will hold 1 each of the 2 door types, the 2 end types, a side, and bottom. Looks like a 10" x 10" box will work. This mold will be a simple one part mold(may make 2 molds). The roof will have to be a 2 part mold being it does not have a flat back.

Don't worry about miss matching ends. I've seen plenty of box cars with different ends due to rebuilding. Short lines tend to do it more often from what I've seen. Although I saw a CSXT box car with two different ends here in Reno a while back so even the big boys do it. Go ahead and finish it up and see how many people notice. If they ask, tell them it got one end banged up from a shifting load and was in too good of condition to scrap. Misngth

Greg Elems