S gauge box cars from a box of loose parts
Greg,

Some else pointed that out to me a few days ago 35 Icon_lol 35 on the Hobo's camp fire. Thanks for reminding me that there is alwasy a prototype example out there some where Icon_lol

I have the roof glued and the underside as well just need to add the doors and paint it primer grey and letter it M.O.W. . I have one 'set' of parts glued down to a card board mold box and the rubber mold is cureing now. will check on it in the morning it only takes 7 hours to cure but I alwasy give it an over night cure.

Dug out some old molds and tried some tintable resin and the parts came out looking like stained glass Icon_lol may need more color next time as this was an experiment.
Here I have some pics of the 2nd boxcar build and the mold I made of some of the main parts from the 6 kits that came loose in a box.

Will post some more later on the castings as they cure.
The new mold I made will not work with the tintable or standard resins as the parts are too thin and do not cure right, got in some resin today just for that purpose but the trade off is it takes longer to cure but makes for stronger thin parts 2285_

Will try it out Sunday or Monday and see what the results are.
AF350, that is interesting. I wonder what kind of resin was used for the original kits. Being they are 20 or more yrs old, they look to be in good shape. I've seen old resin kits where they look like a lasagna noodle.

Greg
Greg,

the instructions say that they are styrene. Some of the parts are yellowed with a minimum amout of flash from the injection mold one side had a small crack above the door opening. The small detail parts such as roof walks and ladders are kinda warped will make my own parts for those.

I need to level my work space for casting as the resin is not even in some of the molds Nope

From the last couple test castings I had 3 parts that ate usable.

I am having fun experimenting with the molds.
Here are some pics of the last round of casting.

The above pic is of the thin casting resin from micro mark on the left hand side are some castings of another car and used them so as not to waste too much resin.

The above pic is a comparison of the castings vs. the original styrene parts.

And the last pic is of some castings I just poured in a leveled position with less waste and flash.
Hello all one progress pic of S box cars here we see box 2 and 3 of 6(5 if you do not count the masters)May have to make anew mold as first is not working out quite right.

Hello all.

No pics today but glued up some more S box cars sides and ends.

This S gauge box car project will continue until remaining parts are assembeled and a new mold will be made after some alterations are made to the "master" parts. Also will have to get some more paint and look into getting some custom heralds made in a mono colored scheme probably white.
Latest pic of boxcars in S scale

More box car under construction peogress

Yet more boxcar building.

Here is a botched up paint job of the BFT logo 35

Repaint! Smile The logo problem notwithstanding, I am so impressed by your whole casting process and creating cars from scratch. Worship Worship Worship
Ralph Wrote:Repaint! Smile The logo problem notwithstanding, I am so impressed by your whole casting process and creating cars from scratch. Worship Worship Worship

So far I have cast some boxcar parts but have not got the flashing off of them yet and the mold of the box car needs replaced already and I will alter the parts I used as masters to make a better mold. Now I have cast and assembled 1 stock car with S scale Kadee couplers as part of an article I submitted to 1:64 modeler which switched from print to e-zine format and now is folded not sure if he will give it another try or not as far as publishing a train magazine. If I can find my pic of the completed I will post it.

Casting once you get the hang of it not so tuff If keep the design simple and avoid undercuts and use the correct resin for the correct use such as thin parts need a slower setting resin that sets up harder for more strength. The box cars is easy in concept being the design is already there I am just duplicating it for my own use. The stock car was enlarged by way of scanner from HO to 136% which is close to S. I then built the masters right on the photo enlargement like the airplane hobbyists used to do, then I made a mold from the wood master I made. Will be cleaning up the cast parts soon and see how they look then.

As for the logo the state came out decent it is the Buckeye leaf and nuts and the lettering looks like a mess and not centered to boot 35 I used acrylic paint and a wood skewer to apply the paint with.

I know you like PennCentral but do you like NYC? If so there is a historical society called NYCS and they have a free PDF magazine covering all scales and all things NYC. The free magazine is called NYCModeler not to be confuesed with the other publication for the Historical society members. I found out thru the S-Trains list.
Thanks for the NYCModeler info!