59th and Rust
Brilliant! I once used these kind of scissors to make diamond shaped roof tin shingles, but would never have thought to use them for cornice work!

I love that big 1898!

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
VERY effective! Yep! Craft stores have lots of resources for us! Thumbsup
The brick work is nothing fancy,just different colour brick paper,first thing i did was seal the areas where the paper was to be attached with wallpaper adhesive (the ready mixed stuff that comes in a tub),while the was drying i cut out my brick paper,then pasted it with the same adhesive,allowed it to soak for a couple of minutes (this stops the paper from bubbling)
then slid it in place,flating it down with a small sponge,making sure the edges are well stuck.
Next job was to make the lintels and cills for the windows and doors,these are made from 1mm card ,cut into strips,painted the matching colour for each building,when dry they where cut to size and glued on with PVA.

I also used a building which was a free download (can't remember which website)this was modified to fit its chosen location.

After this it was time for some clearence testing (playing trains really)

Next thing to think about is windows and doors.

If anyone has any question,please ask away,i'll try my best to answer them.

Ray
Ralph Wrote:VERY effective! Yep! Craft stores have lots of resources for us! Thumbsup

Couldn't agree more heartily !!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

And, used very effectively, Ray Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
long island jack Wrote:The brick work is ...Ray
Ray, thank you for the explanation. It is very interesting to see such a good alternative to styrene. I think the Belgium layout "Ponca Yard" uses a similar approach for the buildings ( <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/newponcayard/index.htm">http://www.freewebs.com/newponcayard/index.htm</a><!-- m --> ).

I love like it when the railroad is small and tiny compared to the huge industrial buildings. That is one unique feature of "real industrial buildings". That is true for the height of older structures as well as the length of the modern flat buildings.
Reinhard
The dark gray trim on the brick of the 1898 building really makes that structure!
Thanks for all the kind comments,this is the first time i've used card/paper for my building, wasn't to sure how they would turn out,i usually work in plastic.

The windows are a bit of a compromise,tried printing on clear plastic,but the only colour that worked well was cream,then thought about building them out of plastic strip this would have taken for ever,so i decided to print them on to paper.
The beauty of this is i can have different window design for each building,and print them by the sheet,i've add blinds to some of the windows,some have even cracked glass,though i'm not a 100% happy with them, i think they don't look to bad when they are all together on the layout.

All the doors are made from card,i found 2 different types of textured card at my local craft shop, one looked like boards the other looked like roller doors,so it was just a matter of making each door painting and glueing in place.

The next job is to add all the small detail, pipes, signs etc.

Ray
The detailing parts are a mixture of card,plastic and resin,the pipe work is made from platic tube or left over spruce's from kits, A/C uints and vents are mostly from a uk firm, you can find them here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.unitmodels.com">http://www.unitmodels.com</a><!-- m --> ,door canopies are made from card.The building signs are from bit from that craft shop (again),the owner is a great help, when she starts to restock the shop,she's started looking out for things that could be used on model railways (now she knows what i mean when i say "in scale"). Yo've really got to have a open mind when looking round these type of shops.

Next and last thing to do is the weathering,this is something you like or don't like,personally i think it makes a building,i've seen some good layouts,but whats let them down is the shine you get of plastic buildings,even a dark wash would do wonders, (thats my rant over).The first thing was to seal the buildings, for this i used hairspray (cheap,non-purfumed) just a light coat,then i used some acrylic paints (craft shop again) and drybrushed where i wanted stains,rust marks etc.

When all this was dry,out came the womens makeup,from my local pound shop,(you guest it a £1) four boxes with different colours,this was then used to tone down the acrylic paints and make them all blend in,i also used some pastel chalks for colours not in the makeup boxes and charcoal,(from you know where).

Last thing to do was fix them to the layout using small self tapper screws,once in postion grass,soil and other rubbish will be glue a long the bottoms,some buildings are set in, some are on top (one of my pet hates gaps under buildings).

Here's a shot looking down Rust st to 59th.(grass still to add)

Hope you enjoyed this "how to" and it's been of some help,if one person uses one part of this it all been worth it,we can all learn of each other.

Ray
Would it be possible for you to go into a little more detail on the specifics of how you do windows?
Again, great modelling Ray with cheap materials. Those building capture the very essence of those large warehouses we can see on
old NYC pictures. Another proof one can easily scratchbuilt personnalized buildings using simple but effective method. Thumbsup There's no limit to creativity. I was recently thinking of using strips of corrugated craft paper to make corrugated steel grain bins (Walthers aren't cheap at all and don't fit all places).

I think it will inspire a lot of folks here. It's funny, but most impressive structures I've seen here were all made of card. Your bullet proof structural core are the answer to make structurally sound card building without seeing them warp over time.

I'm actually in the process of completing a 100% card building (except windows). It was a lot of fun and I find irregularities found in card and paper express better weathering and imperfections found in real life.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
JWB
The windows are made up of different size squares done in "Word"then transfered to "Paint" where the colour was added and blinds etc,then i used"Gimp" to resize them,then all i did was copy the different windows till i had a full sheet,there's probably a easier way but i'm no wizz kid on the computer.

Matt
All my layouts are bulit to a budget it starts at zero and works down,there a recession on you know. Smile

Ray
One area i haven't covered is the Rust St team track,which has a overhead crane and loading dock,this give me somewhere to un-load my gons and flat cars.

Caught the PC local in the hands of Baldwin S12 delivering a flat car to be loaded with girders.

Once that was done it drop a bad order gondola in the truncated industrial siding.

After that it picked up a box car from Goldburger doll.

Ray
Ray, you created a wonderful atmosphere on your layout Thumbsup
Is the partly cobblestone ground cover hand carved from plaster? It is also very well done!
Reinhard
Love the team track scene!!!
Great work I love the look of the layout. I can not belive that the buildings are just card paper