59th and Rust
jwb Wrote:PRR steam ended entirely in 1957, with a B6sb 0-6-0 being the last. The USRA locos wouldn't have lasted quite as long, but you're safe with the early 1950s.

Actually PRR used a B6sb in Columbus until mid 1958..This engine was used to moved dead steam engines and gondolas in Chase Ave yard(aka bone yard) for the scappers..The reason I know this my Uncle Charlie was the fireman assigned to that job.Sadly this B6SB was scrapped shortly after its fire was dropped.FM H10-44 9090 replaced the B6sb and yes,Uncle Charlie was still the assigned fireman.After this assignment 9090 was assign to Columbus Union Depot duties and was replaced with SW900 7913 in '64.

Sorry..Didn't mean to prater on.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Larry - don't be sorry - it is all too easy for us guys on this side of the pond to pick up a reference from the internet and GET IT REALLY WRONG! - getting the info straight "from the horses mouth", as it were, is what keeps the rivet counters in check, and us on the right road.
Ralph Wrote:Not me! That was Larry (Brakie). I'm not sure what he was referring to.

Being a former brakeman I see a major safety hazard that would get a MOW foreman in hot water and maybe a unpaid vacation..

The stack of rails is to close to the rail and in the work zone where the switchman would be working and at night with nothing more then your Starbrite lantern you may not see the rails when you swing off a car,trip over the rail,and under the car you go or you could get knock off the car's stirrup and end up injured..Its that easy..

No big thing..Its a common mistake modelers make.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Being a former brakeman I see a major safety hazard that would get a MOW foreman in hot water and maybe a unpaid vacation..

The stack of rails is to close to the rail and in the work zone where the switchman would be working and at night with nothing more then your Starbrite lantern you may not see the rails when you swing off a car,trip over the rail,and under the car you go or you could get knock off the car's stirrup and end up injured..Its that easy..

Being a former trainman myself, it never occurred to me that the railroad made a concerted effort to keep the "working area" around the railhead clear. Makes sense, I just never thought of it. I'll make sure to pay attention to that when I begin scenicking the layout.

By the way this is now one of my favorite small layouts ever. I love the urban feel, exactly how I want my layout to feel.

Dave
-Dave
By the way this is now one of my favorite small layouts ever. I love the urban feel, exactly how I want my layout to feel.

Dave
------------------------
Abosolutely..I love the trashy industrial look and where bricks or cobble stone is showing in the pavement.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:Not me! That was Larry (Brakie). I'm not sure what he was referring to.

Being a former brakeman I see a major safety hazard that would get a MOW foreman in hot water and maybe a unpaid vacation..

One of the things I appreciate about the forum is the input from railroaders who can provide tips about prototype practice. Hadn't noticed the rails Brakie. Thumbsup
"Puddlejumper Wrote:By the way this is now one of my favorite small layouts ever. I love the urban feel, exactly how I want my layout to feel.
Dave

Cheers Totally!
Jack, rail is pretty common along rights of way, and it's often right where you have it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Guys i'm really flattered with all the kind remarks,thanks a lot,for someone who's never been across the pond, i've had to do it all by photo's etc, it's good to get feedback from people who live on the doorstep,i'm pleased it looks the part and i hope it gives you all ideas to enhance your own model worlds.

JWB
thanks for the photo saves me pulling the track out,i've made a mental note for the future 35 Wallbang

Ray
Ray,One quick look at a photo doesn't tell the story like most think--until you see the complete photo...
Look at the track and you'll see it rusty from little use and if you look closely its clear of the work zone where a trainman could swing off the car without tripping over the rail but,still in the danger zone..

What's a danger zone?

From the mandatory trainman safety classes I learned The danger zone is 5-6 foot from the nearest rail..Reason being broken banding flapping in the wind,a shifted load and other man killers protruding from moving cars..You never turn your back on a moving train.I always had a open escape route.I still do today when I railfan.

Railroads has never taken safety lightly-even back in the day violation of safety rules could end your career.

This may help understand railroading.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFftm3bXNOs">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFftm3bXNOs</a><!-- m -->
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Had a hour to spare last night,so i finished the bumper on the end of the team track,also added some warning signs for road users Big Grin Big Grin

Got up this morning and some bu##er has already run into them,shouldn't be hard to find, red vechicle,broken headlight Curse Curse

jury still out on whether to remove rails or not,depends how much damage it will cause.

Ray
jury still out on whether to remove rails or not,depends how much damage it will cause.

Ray
---------------------------
Ray,I wouldn't removed them if it will caused damage-besides how many crusty old broken down exbrakeman will be seeing your excellent layout?

One of my curses is seeing the whole photo beyond the main subject..
As a example..When looking at a photo most will focus on (say)Aunt Mary but,I see the beautiful painting on the wall behind her,the picture of great Aunt millie or a nice vase.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Ray that's a beautiful layout ! Thumbsup
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Done the other bumper today,think snowy's looking for Tin Tin,can you see him. Nope

Bit the bullet and moved the rails,not that much damage :o

My crew feel a lot safer now,thanks to Brakie Cheers

Ray
p.s i know my brakeman has only one leg,it's all i had Big Grin Big Grin
Looked at the guy standing in the middle of the loading dock and thought "Thats a darn silly place to be playing golf!" Maybe due another trip to Specsavers!