Speaking of Passenger Service
Hi Green Elite,

I understand the frustration with having particles within the fluting showing up in an Alclad job. To play it safe, after the undecorated or paint-stripped model has been washed, take a clean toothbrush, hold it with the head parallel to the fluting and scrub the fluting back and forth with dawn or Ivory dishwashing soap with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol mixed in. Rinse with warm water, blow it dry with your airbrush or blow gun and carefully look at the fluting up close. If there are any "grainy" partilcles left in the flutes, repeat the process.

After applying your basecoat, look carefully at the surface with a flashlight. If it appears textured, wet-sand the surface with a fine scotch pad or 1500 grit wet sand paper then rinse off and clean. Apply another thin coat of basecoat. Things should look considerably better. Once the surface is smooth, it's ready for Alcladding 8-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:My Arrow IIIs in action.....................My Arrow IIs have been painted. Unfortunately, the Alclad paint is difficult to work with. No matter how clean I keep my models, I always seem to get this weird "whitish" color, which seems to be some small layer of gunk in the flutes of the Arrow. They aren't obvious here, but they show up at certain angles in the light. VERY frustrating...................................................................

[Image: PA051332.jpg]

[Image: PA051323.jpg]

[Image: PA051318.jpg]
I definitely will have to try that, though I hope that this process helps repel the dust. There seems to be a shocking amount of dust all over my house, and until I an get a sealed in spray booth (or the weather gets warmer), I'm not sure I'll be able to get away with a flawless paint job.

To be fair, my recent attempts have gotten much better, though I haven't done anything since you posted this protocol.

Here is a recent picture of the Arrow II set from the older photo. The issue isn't super noticeable in most photos except when the light is just right, and so far, I have failed to take any of those sorts of pictures.

[Image: bb4323b0-bca6-48a1-95e1-e56e9b3bbeba.jpg]

The problem is a little more noticeable on the this Silverliner IV, particularly on the door and window band. This one isn't the worst one I've had trouble with, but its still somewhat visible.

[Image: PC180046.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
I took these last week a 3 car set running on thr morristown line Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

kamerad47 Wrote:I took these last week a 3 car set running on thr morristown line Thumbsup

Was that really a three car train? The only reason I ask, is that I thought all the operating Arrow IIIs had roof-mounted resistor grids. The first two cars are "Married pairs", so the third car would have to be a single. If it WAS a single, it should also have the rooftop resistor grids.

The only way it wouldn't, is if it was an unrebuilt car. I know some exist, but they are stored in rough shape. Its difficult to see, but I suspect that the third car in the photo is a "B-Car" of another Married pair.

Either way, its a good shot. I'm thinking the days of the Arrow III are numbered. They can't quite get rid of them yet, but I think the next big NJT car purchase will finish them.

I had heard of an "Arrow IV" plan to make MU bi-levels, but i'm pretty sure this was cancelled.
That was a 3 car train I stood there about 45 nims i saw it come & go as i watch the bridges open for the tug !!!!! here is another pic !!!!! Thumbsup

Attached Files Image(s)

What is the church in the background, does anyone know?
The church in the background is the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, NJ.

Paul
Smile Thanks!!
Well, it's a digression, but <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cathedralbasilica.org/index.html">http://www.cathedralbasilica.org/index.html</a><!-- m --> -- many thanks again for the info.
High-Speed Electric MUs for the win! Now what I really need is a turbo train in the paintscheme that it broke the North American Speed Record in. It did this near Princeton Junction, the same section of track that the Metroliners tested on previously. There is a "Late Amtrak" set at my LHS, but I'm not ready to pick that thing up quite yet.

[Image: P1120473.jpg]