Alco mania
Nice!!! Have you ever tried Tru-Color paints??? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.trucolorpaint.com/">http://www.trucolorpaint.com/</a><!-- m -->

I promise I'm not spamming - I'm just looking for a better alternative....
Wink
Carmine A. - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer! Tongue
Pacific Belt Model RR, Created 1975 - in my mind!
e-paw Wrote:I use Poly Scale water base paints with a double action airbrush. The two CNJ units will be Deep Sea Green (C&NW Green, It's the same color). The DL&W RS will be black.

I tend to use those to, and am I correct that you also used their grey paint as a primer, or is it a specific primer , who's sole purpose in life is being a primer?

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
I have never used Tru-color paints.. I know that the poly scale stuff is going away soon. The owner of the LHS had told my that Walthers will pick up the railroad colors after they are discontinued.

I like to use a white primer from a spray can.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I managed to get the trio of Alco's painted and assembled. So decals will be going on soon.

Great! Very good looking models!
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.
I started on the decals yesterday, most are in place. The CNJ units still need stripes and number boards. And all three need hand rails painted.    

Soon they'll be off to the paint booth for some weathering.
Looking good Thumbsup What level of weathering are you going for?

Cheers,

Kev
Such is life
I'll be keeping it pretty light as that the time period that I model they would be fairly new. I try to keep in mind what the prototypes were assigned to when I do my weathering. The DL&W used the RS-3's primarily as switchers so a little basic grime will do. CNJ used the RSD-4's to hall cement trains so light colored dustings will work. And the RS-1 mainly were used in south Jersey in sand service, but also found themselves doing a variety of different jobs all over the system from, switching service at the New Jersey zinc plant in Palmerton PA to hump work in Allentown. I'll try to reflect that in the weathering.
Gorgeous! Love 'em!!!! Worship Worship Worship
Moving right along - and looking GREAT!!! 24
Carmine A. - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer! Tongue
Pacific Belt Model RR, Created 1975 - in my mind!
With this summers challenge all finished I was able to put some time into the Alcos. All the paint and decals are in place It's now time for some couplers, weathering, and window glass. Here is how they look at this point.

I did a little weathering on the trucks with a brush, the rest will be airbrushed on with Polly Scale paints.
Steve, those look great, but really, what ALCO doesn't? You did a heck of a nice job.
Charlie
Cheers Lookin' sharp, Steve. Nice work. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Thanks gents,, I had a heck of a time trying to get the angled stripes on the ends to look right. I ended up using a older set of decals for that on the RSD-4. The stripes on the nose are a slightly smaller size and not quite as bold as the ones on the sides.. I should be able to hide that with some creative weathering. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
With the weathering complete, couplers, and glass installed I'm going to call this batch finished.

Here the RSD-4 is working a cement drag.    

The DL&W RS-2 is kicking cars around in the yard.    

And the RS-1 joins her sister on the turntable for a spin.    

I must be a glutton for punishment because the LN&E is about to receive a set of RS-2's to work their own cement and coal plants.