Keeping the Brain Cells Active
doctorwayne Wrote:In how many days does this lily cover half the pool's area?

Twenty Nine.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Mikey's firin' on all cylinders tonight! Thumbsup

I edited my previous post about the "hen-and-a-half", as the answer to that question popped into my head a few minutes after I posted it. 35

Here's another one:

An observant person noted a rope ladder dangling from a ship in the harbour, with its bottom six rungs underwater. Also, he saw that each rung was four inches wide and that the rungs were ten inches apart. If the tide rose at the rate of five inches per hour, how many rungs would be submerged in three hours? Misngth

Wayne
Charlie B Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:Two books, Volumes 1 and 2, stand side by side, in order from left to right on a bookshelf. Not including bindings, each book is one inch thick, while the bindings are each an eighth of an inch thick.
Starting from page one, Volume 1, a hungry bookworm eats its way to the last page of volume 2. How many inches did he consume?

Wayne
The bindings are on the edge so I will say 2 inches.
Charlie

And the unexposed bindings in the center..?? I say 2-1/4"....
Gus (LC&P).
Anyone else want to try the New Orleans puzzle?????

And I've seen the "Ladder" puzzle before, so Spock & I Already know the answer 2285_
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

ngauger Wrote:Anyone else want to try the New Orleans puzzle?????

I'll go with 12:45AM, on the assumption (you know where that one leads Misngth ) that there's a different time zone involved.

Wayne
I, too have to go with the 1:45 time. Average speed is average speed, regardless.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
If you consider "Due West" to be Due West........ In a straight line....

The train will cross Florida and end up in the Gulf of Mexico... Eek

New Orleans is on a Delta!! Nope Nope Nope

The correct answer is "it will never reach New Orleans" Goldth

This is based on an old NHRA Racing joke:
If a Funny Car leaves Daytona and travels in a straight line toward Dallas and a second car leaves Dallas heading in a straight line, toward Daytona, both going equal speeds... Where would they meet?

A straight line between the 2 cities, leaves both in the drink... But.. A real NHRA fan would know that they only hold enough fuel to go a tad over 1/4 mile, therefore, neither would go very far at all Smile Smile

Now someone try to get the answer to the boat/ladder puzzle!! Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

The boat ladder rises with the ship.
A circular pool, 25 feet in diameter, has a remarkable lily in its centre. This lily grows by doubling its area each day. At the end of thirty days, the lily exactly covers the pool. In how many days does this lily cover half the pool's area?

Charlie
I have to agree with Charlie, if it cover fully in 30 days after doubling, it was half that the day before. We're just not sure what time that happened though Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
OK, my turn. This is an old one:

Three travelers register at a hotel and are told that their rooms will cost $100 each so they pay $300. Later the clerk realizes that he made a mistake and should have only charged them the group rate of $250. He gives a bellboy $50 to return to them but the bellboy is dishonest and gives them each only $10, keeping $20 for himself. So the men actually spent $270 and the bellboy kept $20 making a total of $290. What happened to the other $10 of the original $300?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote:I have to agree with Charlie, if it cover fully in 30 days after doubling, it was half that the day before. We're just not sure what time that happened though Big Grin
Well in this case I took the obvious route when the correct answer is I believe 28 days. I'm too old for this stuff. Goldth
Charlie B Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:I have to agree with Charlie, if it cover fully in 30 days after doubling, it was half that the day before. We're just not sure what time that happened though Big Grin
Well in this case I took the obvious route when the correct answer is I believe 28 days. I'm too old for this stuff. Goldth

Duuno, if it was half covered in 28 days and doubled in size, it would be fully covered in 29 and spilling over at 30 days. Unless, of course, there is a twist that I missed, then anything is possible. :?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Thank goodness I keep my brain cells active by playing RP video games instead of answering these question in fact my brain is hurting from just reading them..Now where's my game controller at?
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!