The Whiskey River Railway
Tyler,
The loss of a close friend is never easy. To serve one's country in a time of war, is also never easy. When the two are combined...........
Thank You for your service to this great land of ours.
Pete
CPO, USN, retired ( 1961-1983 )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Thank you Pete. And also I'd like to thank you for your prior service. Thumbsup

I was doing some research to how prototype military bases handled rail traffic in the early days of WW2 and the best prototype I could find that would fit the approximate size Camp Pierre would be is Camp Claiborne, LA. I was hoping that Ft. McCoy, WI would have more on it's history either on the .mil website or other sources since that'd be the closest thing, but I couldn't find a map that showed the rail lines from the 1940's. I also considered Ft. Eustis, Ft. Bragg, and Ft. Campbell but they were either too big of posts or having a lack of information. However, I do know that Camp Pierre will be a busy place once it is put into operation, receiving box car loads of supplies, reefers for the food to feed Soldiers, flatcars for both incoming and outgoing vehicles, hoppers for the coal-fired boiler house and for the barracks (fire guard, YAY Confusedhock: ), and both WRRy passenger cars of local recruits coming in and Pullman cars going out to places on the East Coast. I might just have to get a USRA 0-6-0 to handle switching on post decorated in USATC garb... oh the possibilities. And think of the special moves that'd have to take place, from my understanding when you completed your training and you hopped on that train, you stayed on that train until you've reach your port of call. Motive power would change from railroad to railroad, but that's about it.

Also if anyone has any information or prior experiences with troop trains, I'm all ears (well, eyes for here Goldth )
Tyler D.
General Manager
[Image: image.php?album_id=238&image_id=4544&display=popup]
I have both Walthers and Roller Bearing Models (resin kit) troop sleepers on my layout:

I like those troop sleepers and kitchen car, jwb! I'm not planning on running a solid train of those like they would back in the day mostly due to their cost. Unless I score a deal on eBay, normally I can pick up a bunch of Pullman cars for the price of a troop sleeper or kitchen. That and I model more of the early years of war, and since those cars didn't come out until late 1943 that's pushing it for me.

For all of those who have served before me or are currently in (yes, even Coasties Big Grin ) Independence Day is proof that when we come together, we can make awesome things happen. Freedom is pretty awesome. For that, I thank everyone who has served prior, I served with and future service members.

Attached Files Image(s)

Tyler D.
General Manager
Nice looking troop cars Tyler!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I can't take the credit on the troop cars as they're not mine, but are jwb's. Eventually I'll get some and post them up for all the Big Blue world to see.

On another note, I received my household goods here in Korea which had all my modeling stuff neatly packed so I can commence work on some of WRRy's rolling stock and locomotives. Like I've posted, if I can acquire plywood and other building materials while I'm here I'll start work on one of my modules. I've eyed up a old crate that's been sitting by the garbage for a few days now but closer inspection and initial prodding left me to abandon using that plywood as currently it's wet and about as strong as cardboard (it's made from 1/4" veneer ply with 1x3 bracing) and I messed up one piece on it. I'll have to be patient to see if I can find a hardware store that has wood and, most importantly, speaks any English.
Tyler D.
General Manager
My son did two tours on the DMZ there, said it's a great place to be from but a lousy place to be at! Icon_lol Keep your head down, more goes on over there than what you see on the evening news.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
That's where I am currently, at good ol' Camp Bonifas. And yes, that's true, great place to be but lousy to be at. Since we're a tight knit group, any word on KPA (North Korean) activity usually gets around pretty fast. Thankfully lately it's been talks about possibly reopening the Kaesong work camp, although the last talks fell through.

And, unless I'm mistaken, I think I'm the only model railroader that's ever graced the JSA. Goldth
Tyler D.
General Manager
Thank you for your service! I was a glorified swab jockey. GREAT concept, and really cool mixed train! Be safe.