A tragedy in Arizona
Herc Driver Wrote:The fire is certainly devastating to those who lost their homes and possessions...but the tragic loss of lives so precious is worse.

To the brave hot shots who lost their lives battling this blaze, I pray for you and your families left behind.

Our prayers are also for those that fly these air tankers so dangerously close to the fire, frequently blinded by the smoke. I'm sure you're more aware of what they do then the rest of us, but at a minimum, I'm sure it's risky at best. They just brought in a number of C-130's into Mesa's Phoenix-Gateway airprot to complement the DC10's that are already there. Flying into the fire and back to pick up more retardant has to take a real coordinated effort.

They say that the fire is still around 8700 acres, but only 8% contained. It may be another week before they allow the residents of Yarnell back to see what's left of their homes. Waiting has to be unnerving for these people, and our prayers are with them as well.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Just an update, they have the fire about 85% contained now, and it's still just a bit under 9000 acres. Not a big fire in terms of some in the past that have exceeded 500,000 acres. The amount of damage is still confusing though since the last announcement said there were 129 structures lost. A few days ago they said 50 homes, so I guess we won't know for sure for a while yet. They said they'll allow people back sometime tomorrow.

There are memorials all over from Phoenix to Prescott. Sunday there will be a procession from Phoenix to Prescott where they'll be bringing back those 19 firefighters. There will be a memorial service at a car dealership there that will seat some 6,000 people. They had at one point some 600 firefighters on the lines, helicopters, C-130's and a few DC10's.

Now there's another uncontrolled fire up near Kingman. They are evacuating residents and it's 0% contained for now. Let's hope those fighting that fire are all safe...
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD