Anyone have hometown newspapers like mine ?
Here in Windsor , Ontario , there is a regular good sized column called " The Vault " that I think one local individual manages with help from old farts who send in pictures of our fair city as it was decades ago . I really enjoy the column that now has over 55 pages of archives .....I think it is an aid for a model railroader modeling an older era , too .

Any of you guys have local media that does the same ? It sure is a refreshing read from the usual daily crap .

T
To err is human, to blame it on somebody else shows management potential.
The Canon City Daily Record does a history section about twice a month and trots out old photos and articles focusing on the selected topic or subject. When the Royal Gorge fire was brought under control, they traced the history of the construction, and interviewed the granddaughter of the engineer who built it originally. They posted costs, materials, replacement and upgrades and costs, and finally the progress on returning the bridge to service after the fire.

Did another one on the old coal mines and coal towns with the same thorough treatment.

I love that kind of stuff. I save the articles.
No but I wish they did.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
From The Vault | Windsor Star

blogs.windsorstar.com/category/photos/from-the-vault

This will give you an idea of what we have . Our city is a border town that sees a lot of cross border traffic ...bridge , tunnel , train ferries back in the day , etc .
The only thing our paper does is have a brief column about "On this Date" and mentions stories that were in the news anywhere from 10-60 years ago.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Once a week, the Guelph Mercury prints an old picture and invites people to write in. The following week they publish excerpts from the letters and another picture.
I found out from there that Stone Road wasn't a stone road at all, but named after local businessman, Mr. Stone.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
....wonder if Mr Stone owns the Stone Road Mall ? Goldth

T
teejay Wrote:....wonder if Mr Stone owns the Stone Road Mall ? Goldth

T

No...that's owned by David Mall... Icon_lol
teejay Wrote:....wonder if Mr Stone owns the Stone Road Mall ? Goldth T
Not at his age and in his current condition.
But it is the same Stone Road.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.