Freelance 2013-3
Andy, I'm sure your layout has all these things right -- how about some photos?
jwb Wrote:Andy, I'm sure your layout has all these things right -- how about some photos?

Andy has a point..A T intersection or a sharp right or left turn with the street going between buildings would bring believability to that scene or a simple dead end sign would suffice along with the removal of the US Rt. 49 sign.

Reinhard is doing a excellent job with overall believability. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I removed the US Rt 49 sign. It was a residual from Antwerp OH misplaced on this scenery.
Reinhard
Brakie Wrote:
jwb Wrote:Andy, I'm sure your layout has all these things right -- how about some photos?

Andy has a point..A T intersection or a sharp right or left turn with the street going between buildings would bring believability to that scene or a simple dead end sign would suffice along with the removal of the US Rt. 49 sign.

Reinhard is doing a excellent job with overall believability. Thumbsup
I certainly agree Reinhard is doing an excellent job, that wasn't my point. My point was a little more along the line that folks who are full of advice on what everyone else ought to do would help their own credibility by showing what they themselves are capable of. Just sayin'.
My point was a little more along the line that folks who are full of advice on what everyone else ought to do would help their own credibility by showing what they themselves are capable of. Just sayin'.
-------------------------------------------------
Then you have guys like me that doesn't have a layout but,been there and done that probably several times and then some over the years we been in the hobby.

Our advice/suggestions may come as lessons learned from our very own past layout mistakes.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

John & Brakie
My comments about Reinhard's scenery are based on over 60 years of observation of real situations & helping others w/ their layouts. My layout isn't far enough along to have any scenery yet, and it will be mostly for Ops, i.e. switching. My layout will have few if any streets - just mostly tracks, some structures & back drops. Some switching spots will only be a dock or whatever on the edges of the layout. And any veg will be mostly weeds, including a few palm trees along the switching leads. Guess their seeds were "imported" on freight cars or maybe airborne.
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
ATSF/LAJ Ry Fan & Modeler
This little double survived unharmed the last weeks. It was time to suffer today :o
[Image: IMG_2831_zps386be584.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2830_zps9c8e9484.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard, One doesn't see that side of town being modeled and as we all know urban industrial branch lines doesn't go through pristine neighborhoods with their manicured lawns.. Great job! Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

lajry Wrote:...... including a few palm trees along the switching leads. Guess their seeds were "imported" on freight cars or maybe airborne.

Gawd! I hope those aren't Coconut Palms - if those seeds get airborne you need to be in a fallout shelter!
That is nuts.... lol
The last kit is assembled and placed in the middle of the row. The building has some nice but to unique side walls to be placed alone. It does not match the style of the other buildings at all.
(McAdam St. resin kit from Lunde Studios)
[Image: IMG_2833_zps0e01e4e4.jpg]

The center building replaces the low building at the left hand and forms a canyon with the building right hand.
[Image: IMG_2834_zps7f65476b.jpg]

That completes the building replacement operation in the rear west end corner. All buildings are "put" in place only and can be easy further detailed at the workbench. Anyhow my technique of detailing and weathering plain brick walls needs still to be improved.
[Image: IMG_2835_zpsa5b7161b.jpg]
Reinhard
shortliner Wrote:
lajry Wrote:...... including a few palm trees along the switching leads. Guess their seeds were "imported" on freight cars or maybe airborne.

Gawd! I hope those aren't Coconut Palms - if those seeds get airborne you need to be in a fallout shelter!

Probably date palms as that's what's grown alot in CA. Don't you remember seeing them on the Horn Lead just east of General Mills?
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
May I help you gentleman 357
[Image: IMG_2836_zpsc4e2857c.jpg]
Reinhard
Reinhard
You have to sprinkle a few dates on the ground to "complete" that scene. Wink
Andy Jackson
Santa Fe Springs CA
lajry Wrote:Reinhard
You have to sprinkle a few dates on the ground to "complete" that scene. Wink
Andy, I am terrible sorry but in this fine neighborhood we sprinkle cars on the ground Wink Just help yourself.
[Image: IMG_2837_zps4f0a6572.jpg]

btw. This German dealer offers real bricks in different scales http://www.pits.biz/Ziegelsteine/Ziegels...56_59.html. I ordered two different bags for the debris covered areas to be modeled. The web page is in available in different languages. May be US is to far and shipping to expensive but European modelers might be interested.
Reinhard