Shapeways.com 3d printed details
Here are some bath fixtures I had printed previously, that did not turn out perfect, so I did a redesign, and had them printed again. This time the came out right. More pictures and details can be see at http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2015/10/bath-...in-ho.html

[Image: 025.JPG]
Kent in KC
nvrr49.blogspot.com
I was searching around on shape ways for vehicles and a lot of the kits are a solid cast. How difficult do you think it would be to hollow out a vehicle (windows/interior)?
Rscott417 Wrote:I was searching around on shape ways for vehicles and a lot of the kits are a solid cast. How difficult do you think it would be to hollow out a vehicle (windows/interior)?

I don't remember where I saw the video but a gentleman named Mike Budde did a broadcast about making the Shapeway vehicles more presentable. I'm not positive but I believe that he used vehicles done by Jens Jahn which were not a solid cast. Maybe if you goggled his name you can find the video.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, I was actually looking at Jens Jahns vehicles. Good to know they're not solid cast.
A couple vintage travel trailers I designed and printed at Shapeways, more details and pictures at: http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2015/12/trave...inted.html

[Image: 106.JPG]
Kent in KC
nvrr49.blogspot.com
Buford caboose roofs arrived today. They are well made and fit perfect. No problems.Order was done 12/23. I am impressed with the speed over Christmas. The printing was done in the Netherlands. Shipping within the EU is affordable, fast and has no customs problems. Local printing in Europe is a great step forward. I am a very satisfied customer.

Two bulk trailers got on order today. Shipping is announced for next week.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:Buford caboose roofs arrived today. They are well made and fit perfect. No problems.Order was done 12/23. I am impressed with the speed over Christmas. The printing was done in the Netherlands. Shipping within the EU is affordable, fast and has no customs problems. Local printing in Europe is a great step forward. I am a very satisfied customer.

Two bulk trailers got on order today. Shipping is announced for next week.

Glad the roofs worked out for you. Quick tip, I overlapped the stock Bluford roof over the printed roof to match up the holes that need to be drilled for the vents and antenna. Excited to see more work from you, I like the way your layout is turning out. Popcornbeer
Just getting into receiving some parts from Shape-ways. What does everybody use to prep parts for paint? How about gluing detail parts to equipment?
Wayne Snyder
Creating the Ft Worth Sub - FWWR
I did my very first caboose roofs with a silver rattle can intended to mimic aluminum rim from the automobile shop. No primer no nothing. Worked perfect.
Reinhard
Quote:What does everybody use to prep parts for paint? How about gluing detail parts to equipment?

Bestine which is a thinner for rubber cement.You need a container big enough to submerge what your cleaning (prepping) for paint.Some folks let the Shapeways parts soak overnight .For me a 2 or3 hour soak has always been sufficient.After you remove for the Bestime wash in warm water with a little bit of dish soap then let air dry.

The pieces will turn opaque white.I usually use CA if I have to glue anything but sometimes Model Masters glue works too.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
fwwrmodeler Wrote:Just getting into receiving some parts from Shape-ways. What does everybody use to prep parts for paint? How about gluing detail parts to equipment?

Cleaning always brings out lots of ideas. FWIW, Shapeways recommends soap and water. I have used that, Bestine, and Isopropyl Alcohol, and to me, they all work about the same. They all turn the FUD to a milky white, and it still takes a little scrubbing to get them completely clean. Once clean, just about any paint seems to work, as the surface seems to be a bit porous. Rattle can or brush, solvent or acrylic, it all seems to work.
Kent in KC
nvrr49.blogspot.com
I placed an oder of two H0 bulk trailers last week Tuesday, they shipped on Thursday and they will arrive tomorrow. I am very impressed from the speed of service offered by Shapeways in the Netherlands during Christmas and New Year season.
Reinhard
I reported a very fast turn around time of Shapeways in the Netherlands. That happened at the end of the Christmas/New year season. Looks to me like that was a exception. One order has been shipped today after 3 weeks and a new oder is scheduled for shipment in about 4 weeks.
Depends the turn around time on the items ordered? What experience do you have with Shapeways in Europe (Netherlands) and in the US?
Reinhard
Gas station details in HO scale. Design details and more parts can be viewed at http://nvrr49.blogspot.com/2016/01/gas-s...eways.html

[Image: 121.JPG]
Kent in KC
nvrr49.blogspot.com
How do you get parts made on shapeways? I want to get a better paper roll clamp made for a fork lift that will be able to hold a Walthers paper roll.
[Image: image.jpg2_zpsrg1ubx4c.jpg]
[Image: image.jpg1_zpseabdtq0r.jpg]