Military modeling
That's cool steve, where did these typically run?
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Well TM, During the second world war the wounded servicemen were stabilized enough to make the transatlantic crossing from Europe, most reentered the U.S. in New York. From NY harbor they would board special trains outfitted with cars like these in Jersey city's CNJ station. From there they were forwarded to Philadelphia along CNJ and RDG rails to either the Army or Navy hospitals located in that city. In those hospitals the wounded were given what ever rehabilitative treatment that was needed to get them well enough to either go home or be transferred to another hospital closer to where they lived. These trains were given the highest priority on the line, even mail trains took sidings in order to let them pass. In one of my morning sun books on CNJ steam there is a photo of one of these trains passing a track gang, The workers have stopped what they were doing and removed their hats while the train passed as a sign of respect for the men inside.
I am sure that this must have happened along the west coast with wounded returning from the Pacific as well in other cities around the country. But Tom, that's how they were operated around here.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
I guess this should go here also.. One of the troop cars kits that I have acquired has all the window and doors blanked over, so I have decided to turn it into a double door box car. This type of conversion was common after the war when these cars became surplus. It is almost ready for paint,, just a few more grabs, and other details.

My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew