roundhouse creek N scale
Are you going to paint the rails?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Are you going to paint the rails?

I might give the track a wash to get rid of the plastic effect of the Unitrack , other than that I'm not a fan of weathering .
for some reason the computer wont let me post pictures , will have to switch off the power and re-start - i'm told it might reset the router box ?

here's one way to fill the big holes left by the old point/turnout motors Goldth

as well as the track laying the RR Co are building a big grand through station , but at this stage it is a tight secret .
If you paint the track you shouldn't need to weather it. The paint will get rid of that funky brassy/goldish look.
Mike

Mike , I'll try paint on the spare piece of track , only do the rail sides ? , also any advice on WS track pen ?

work has started on the grade but there are no pictures as yet , in the picture below is track at the start of the incline

Yeah Alan, just the sides as the wheels will rub the tops till they shine just like the real thing. I don't know anything about the WS's pens. In N scale I have always masked off the ties and then spray painted the rails with a flat black whatever was cheapest spray paint. I do this before the track is laid.
Mike

hi Mike , I'll give paint a try also marker pen (but it might be shine ?) , also I have had a look at your Midland layout and it looks great , however my modeling is much simpler , mainly because its a joy to see trains running , although I admit to my lack of holding sidings and loop's . one reason to go Kato on the outer oval was , the layout is in the spare room , and is directly above the heater/radiator and because of this the track buckled very bad - and it was not easy to get at - hidden in the tunnel 35 , Lesson lear'nt , hopefully the Unitrack will flex on the rail joiners if it gets warm . no tunnel now !

untill next time . Alan
Alan:
I haven't tried the WS pen, but I've used a few Sharpies -- both the laundry marker and a couple of paint pens. In OO/HO, they tend to bounce along the spike heads or chairs, leaving bright silver patches there.It improved a bit when I trimmed the felt point, but the colour was quite a bit off.
Usually I use a small brush and acrylic paint -- the usuall sienna & umber variations and any other interesting brown or red shades. Sometimes I try the laundry marker as a base coat.
I let the paint cover the spikes or chairs as I don't see why these should be different.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
David thanks for the info on the track pens , I think it will be the paint brush .

to-day in the photos , after the grade was moved across and some filler applied then after drying it was given a coat of ground colour , this is a good way to use up almost empty paint jars !!! , the gap were the bridge will be is the amount the grade was moved .

Shaping up nicely.
Mike

its glue drying time (PVA - 50/50 mix) , in the waiting time some picky's of it drying 35 Goldth

the bridge needs more work - will await the track , for rail height (plastic ballast/foam/granite chippings) , not decided either flex or Kato ( or EZ by Backy 35 )

Alan
glue still wet/damp got no heating on in the train room !
have been working on the grade further 'up' the line .
layout update , slow drying glue and ...

the white stuff is the base for the grade , must remind myself and them that get exited - I don't like doing scenery , so it will be kept basic ....

Alan
Nice work you have going here but im afraid in the last pic your yellow jackets confused the round house as a storage shed Icon_lol
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
"I don't like doing scenery "

But without it there is no model railroad just some out of context toys sitting on plywood or foam.
Mike