UP SD40-2's NEW Layout
Well, I got two of five of my UP SD40-2's done Icon_e_biggrin 
#3401 just needed a sunshade put on it, DONE, as for #3503, I finished fitting all the railings on it, put sun shades on it, coupler cut bar(that I bent the wright way since the pics were taken Icon_redface ) , added hoses and an AC unit, painted the white on the steps, railings, cut bar. Repainted the plow, trucks and fuel tank(also air tanks since the pics were taken) , and the left fron railing I had replaced. I think I am going to blacken out the top cab number boards too. 
Here's a few pics of it...
[Image: qRsNLHd.jpg]

[Image: 5LR7N3r.jpg]

[Image: FnkgcZz.jpg]

[Image: KObXOIJ.jpg]

I feel pretty good about doing that engine up modern now, since my last post here I had researched UP's most current SD40-2's and I'll be darned, unexpectedly I found THREE UP SD40-2's that ARE STILL RUNNING TODAY, that ARE NOT yard engines!!! Eek Honestly, I was expecting to find nothing but yard engines now but NO, at least three of them are STILL ON ACTIVE DUTY! Applause 
To top that off ONE OF THEM....IS A SNOOT NOSE!!! Icon_e_surprised Its #1883, also I noticed ALL the SD40-2's that are still running had the yellow relective stripes, and all of them had AC units on them. 
I am not going to renumber my engines, but at least I know their kind do exist today. Now the only other engine I have that I am going to make "modern" is #3344, and thats a short hood, so all is good! 
SO, the story goes, the Rock Valley Sub is getiing TWO, NEW/REBUILT SD40-2's, and have received one today Icon_e_biggrin  . 

Thats it for now, back to work again on Monday, we'll see what I can get done....TILL NEXT TIME...
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Nice!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Not a lot happened layout wise this week, ran some trains mostly, my sister in law is here for the weekend so that took up some time this week preparing for it, not a lot of time on the layout.

I really have to get this area back in shape as its still all tore up from the cross over tracks, but it should be like this again...
[Image: r71uHPe.jpg]

I have also been thinking about starting that project that the parts are there for in the above pic Wink .
Other then that, not much this week, just thoughts on finishing stuff and sum running. 

A few pics from this past week...
[Image: IpN32dp.jpg]

[Image: fKi2WYh.jpg]

[Image: VKZBiTj.jpg]

[Image: 4kXEZD7.jpg]

And one I posted in Side Shot Saturday related to Ed's "Beeg Boy"  Icon_e_biggrin 
[Image: MmICjnJ.jpg] 

Till next time....
Deano - Your scenes are quite amazing.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Must be nice to have curves wide enough for a "small boy". Always good to see shots of your layout Deano.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Nice scenes, love the car show... Applause Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Great-looking railroad, Deano, and the very nicely-done details really make everything come together so nicely. Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Nice!!!
Thanks so much for the very kind comments guys, really, Thank you Icon_e_biggrin . Wayne wrote in his latest thread something to the effect that most of us  are pretty much in this alone, and the end results we get are for our own satisfaction, truer words have never been spoken, NOBODY, has come downstairs to see anything I have done in well over a year, not my wife, son, company or anyone. We love this hobby and do it for our OWN satisfaction anyways. I know I am not a great modeler, but I try my best and do appreciate the encouragement when ya see something you might like Icon_e_smile  .  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WOW, the last four weeks has totally been about my wife catching up with her family, will be gone for a couple days, heading down to Indiana, like 15mins from Kentucky, CSX country  Icon_e_wink  . 

This once again hasnt gave me much a chance to work on the layout, but I did get my road put back together where I had it tore up to fix the tracks at my "lift out" area, so I did at least get that done Thumbsup  . 
My layout isnt exactly real prototypical in a couple spots, but one thing I can say is my track work is pretty darn bulletproof, and thats nice when it comes to running trains. I dont know about you folks but nothing ticks me off more then having to keep fixing derailments, dealing  with shorts, etc. due to track problems. If your redueing/working on your layout, take your time and make sure everything is running good before you do the scenery, you'll thank your self later, BELIEVE ME. 

I did get a chance to run a train after I fixed the road/rail crossing up. I have an SD60M on point, with an SD50 and Dash 8 following. I really like the three window SD60M's, at one point I really thought the SD60M's would totally take over for the SD40-2s and fill in for the same needs they were used for, but that never ended up happening, I think there is only like two on UP's roster at this time...oh well.   
A couple pics below...
[Image: jmdAlmD.jpg]

[Image: UETbMQf.jpg]

[Image: usu2k0w.jpg]
Big Grin 
Deano, You have done a great job getting back into the hobby but watch what you say about bullet proof track until you do have someone come to admire. 
I can run trains for months and never have a wheel off the track, but just let someone come to see them and all hell breaks loose   Icon_e_biggrin
Don't knock your ability because you are a darned good modeler and pay a lot of attention to the small details, unlike me that just took 8 pictures of a locomotive only to discover a cobweb on the nose.  Misngth
Keep on trackin'
Charlie
Deano---in many ways you remind me of Wayne ,not only your talent but most of all your humility---your layout and your locomotive roster are works of art and you should be very proud of your accomplishments.When you speak of your trackwork it brings to mind the logo of the Grand Trunk Western RR.---"The Good Track Road".I always look forward to your weekly threads and updates.
Deano - Great looking locos. I truly enjoy viewing your layout and how far it has come.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
I agree with the guys above, Deano, so don't sell yourself short.  You've got a great-looking layout and it's always enjoyable to read your comments, too.  Your enthusiasm is contagious.   Applause Applause Applause

Wayne
Those are some great looking layout pics Deano!
Charlie, ED, Tom, Wayne and Shane, Thanks so much for the very kind words Icon_e_smile .

Well, my wife and I had vacation this week, so I didnt even get a chance to go down stairs this week Icon_e_surprised , was in Indiana for 3 days, and non stop running around the rest of the time. On the bright side, all should be back to normal for awhile starting next week Applause  .  

Today we went for Ice cream at the Dairy Ripple, its an old ice cream place that has been around probably longer then me, and I'm in my mid/late 50's Misngth  . Its just two blocks into S.Beloit Illinois, one block down the street from the old Milwaukee Roads "west yard". The west yard was last occupied by IC&E , but is now officially...
[Image: VYI8TCA.jpg]

I had no camera or phone on me, we are sitting there eating our Ice cream and I keep staring at the lone red engine in the yard. I asked my wife to use her phone so I could get some shots of that engine, she wasnt to keen on going into the property, but I told her I had been rail fanning there for ages, and there wasnt anyone there at this time, so I got out of the car and took a few shots.

The engine is a CP GP22C-ECO, the most recent pics I could find of this engine were taken in 2018 and they were all in Minnesota, ends up now she sits here in S.Beloit and makes runs 4-5 times a week to Janesville WI. 
ANYWAYS, heres the pics I took about 3hrs ago...
[Image: zFhcU4W.jpg]

[Image: nd14YON.jpg]

[Image: Ozwu3SS.jpg]

Till next time....