Free Layout Design Help
Hey, for anyone needing help designing a layout, I offer my planning and design services for free. I have been helping model railroaders for almost 20 years now. I have helped design simple display layouts, right up to multi-level and basement-sized empires using 3rd PlanIt software. Just add a post to this thread asking for help, or contact me directly. Take care, Rob.
Welcome to the Big Blue Rob. I still have the for sale sign on the house but have looked at a couple of nice empty basements. When I get a new spot I'll need a new bigger plan.

Stephen
Stephen 

Modeling a freelanced, present day short line set in Nova Scotia, Canada. 

https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9643
Hey Stephen, Thanks for the welcome. I finally made it over a few months ago, and have just been lurking. Things have been slow waiting for my On30 stuff to arrive, so I was looking for some design work to keep me out of trouble. Let me know when your ready to go at it again. Take care, Rob.
My house plan is on hold and it looks like we are going to be staying put for the foreseeable future. I'm going to do some measuring and if you are up for some planning I could use your help.
Stephen 

When ever you're ready, you know where to find me.
Hi Rob,That's very kind of you to offer your services for free Applause I have been lazy when it comes to designing a track plan,and actually considered building structures for my switching layout,then designing a track plan around the structures.Not sure if that would work out or not?I included some pics of my completed bench work.Basically it's 5- 4foot x30" tables(along wall)connected to another 4ft x 30" table connected to 5 - 4x8ft tables.I'm going for a Industrial/Suburban type switching layout,kinda like a Industrial park.Consisting of close to full scale(1:87th)structures.Consisting of a plastics plant,Automotive stamping plant,Dry bulk transfer facility,Corn Syrup transfer facility,a Baked goods plant,Road commision Facility,Metal stamping plant facility,Warehouse storage facility.Time period will be 2007-present.Also there will be small areas dedicated to suburban housing,included will be at least 3 highway overpasses and some street running,along with a small yard(8 tracks)I use Atlas Super track(code 83)with #6 switches(soon to add #4 custom line switches)All my structures will be scratch built,since there is no manufacturer who produces modern structures to the scale that i will be building them.I am a big fan of Lance Mindheim's work and his Miami Layout,so i think you get the idea of what i'm going for?Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

Don Shriner
I'm jealous of all that space you have to work with. Rob will come up with a interesting plan.
Stephen 

Forgot to mention this Layout will be based in the Midwest,but no specific region and no Mountains,rivers,lakes.As far as structures go,no grain elevators,train station,refinery's.One thing i forgot to mention is employee parking for all the structures.Hope to hear from ya soon.
Don Shriner
Hi Don,

Very interesting project, and I am more than willing to help. However, can you verify your description of the modules since it doesn't seem to match what I see in the photos.

This was in your description:

-- 5 - 4ft x 30" tables along the wall (They look like 8ft long tables in the photo)
-- connected to another 4ft x 30" table (The connecting table looks longer than 4ft. How wide is the aisle way?)
-- connected to 5 - 4x8ft tables

If this description is correct, the run of tables along the wall should be 20ft long, the other would be 32ft long + the 8ft table that juts out.

Take care,
Rob.
Your right Rob,I stand corrected :oops: .The tables along the wall are 8ft x 30"and their is 5 of them.The table that connects both sides is 8ft x30" also,and the other 5 tables are 4x8ft.Where you see the edge of the 8ft x 30' table that bridges the other side,that distance is 16"from that edge to to the beggining of the 4x8ft table that is ajaicent to the other ones is 41"in length.I'm trying to describe this best as possible.I had to configure the tables this way to have access to my furnace and my sump pump.I may expand later from the single 4x8ft table.In the mean time i will be posting pictures and videos of ideas and specifics of my ideas so you can get a better understanding of where i'm coming from so to speak.For starters my Loco fleet will consist of EMD Gp38-2's and MP15ac's,and rolling stock,tank cars(corn syrup,LPG Gas,coil cars,60ft high cube boxcars,hoppers,steel Gondola's,bulk head flat cars.There will be no six axle power on this layout so minimum radius will be 18" to 22".BTW you wouldn't happen to be familiar with a software program called Trainz 12 would ya?You can build a actual virtual modell railroad in this program and it's animated with sound.I'll throw up a link so you can see what it looks like.Thanks
Don Shriner
Your right Rob,I stand corrected :oops: .The tables along the wall are 8ft x 30"and their is 5 of them.The table that connects both sides is 8ft x30" also,and the other 5 tables are 4x8ft.Where you see the edge of the 8ft x 30' table that bridges the other side,that distance is 16"from that edge to to the beggining of the 4x8ft table that is ajaicent to the other ones is 41"in length.I'm trying to describe this best as possible.I had to configure the tables this way to have access to my furnace and my sump pump.I may expand later from the single 4x8ft table.In the mean time i will be posting pictures and videos of ideas and specifics of my ideas so you can get a better understanding of where i'm coming from so to speak.For starters my Loco fleet will consist of EMD Gp38-2's and MP15ac's,and rolling stock,tank cars(corn syrup,LPG Gas,coil cars,60ft high cube boxcars,hoppers,steel Gondola's,bulk head flat cars.There will be no six axle power on this layout so minimum radius will be 18" to 22".BTW you wouldn't happen to be familiar with a software program called Trainz 12 would ya?You can build a actual virtual modell railroad in this program and it's animated with sound.I'll throw up a link so you can see what it looks like.heres the link <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJMAKhbZNxI">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJMAKhbZNxI</a><!-- m -->
Don Shriner
Hi Don,

Thanks for the clarification, and I am hoping that I have all the dimensions correct now. (see attached plan.) I have heard of Trainz, but haven't used it. I have also seen some beautiful railways done by other designers using the software.

Take care,
Rob.

[Image: 2016.10-OCT.23-001.gif]
Hi Don,

I had a few hours to kill today, so I played around with the plan just to see what I could do with the space. Knowing that you're planning to have some big structures, I included large footprints for the industries. I also roughed in the streets, and overpasses. You shouldn't have any problem including a residential area somewhere, or all the parking facilities you wanted included. I know it wasn't on your wish list, but I also included a crossing and interchange with another railroad.

Here's the design:

[Image: 2016.10-OCT.23-002.gif]

Take care,
Rob.
Hi Rob,Thanks for the effort...but it's not exactly what i had in mind(no offense) Smile ,I wanted to give you more specifics on the location of certain industries,yard,roads,etc,before you started so you would have a better idea.I've been collecting various photographs off the web that would capture the actual presentation of objects and details that i want incorporated in my layout.The first being that i will not be using building "fronts"on any of my buildings.I know alot of switching shelf layout modellers like to use them to save space,but i think they look very unrealistic.Also the 8 track yard,and dry bulk transfer/LPG gas facility will need to be layed out out on the 4'x30" sections(along the wall),along with the Road commision complex at the very end of the string of 5 30"tables.I prefer not to have any loops,but instead have 90 degree cross overs with switchs to make a run around and the end of the 4x8' end table.Give me a little bit more time so i can post some pics.Thanks Smile
Don Shriner
Hi Don,

Trust me, no offense taken. I really wasn't expecting my plan to be the final draft for you. Whenever I start with a new space, I always like to try a design before I know much about what a client wants. Sometimes, my 1st draft makes its way to becoming a final plan, and sometimes I miss completely. With such a big space, I knew that I didn't know enough about what you wanted, so there was very little chance to hit the mark. When you get everything together, we will start developing the plan for you.

Take care,
Rob.