Viperman's HO layout progress
Ditto to what has been said so far, Steven. Nice shots as usual, Wayne.

I'd add this: my first impression was, it reminds me of one of John Pryke's steam engines in this way, that he paints on rust, water scale, etc. very heavily at first, then uses an overall wash/mist of dust/grime to soften the color and blend the edges. I've used a similar technique (sorry, no photos at the moment I can think of...) on structures, only with different materials.

I like the Bragdon weathering powders and use these plus acrylic craft paint washes as my primary weathering materials.

Great little shed, but needs more than just the base color and rust. Keep adding subtle layers of color & texture until you barely notice, then add more. Use this first picture as a reference to show the difference - keep coming back to that as your baseline.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen, I went to a workshop at the National Convention last year in Anaheim put on by a lady who is an MMR from Texsas (Sorry I can't remember her name). The clinic was on tools, materials, and stuff that we would not normally think of for modeling. She uses ladies make up for weathering. she uses them like chalks or Bragdon's powders. It looked like an interesting idea.
The fellow on YouTube who does the 'Withlacoochee River Report' has used make up somehow...maybe it was just the sponges and brushes. Can't think of his name right now, but you could look it up. He also posts on the MRH forum.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I have seen his videos from the MRH site. That is the same method she was teaching. I don't imagine blue eye shadow would work very well for most weathering, but there are quite a few earth tones found in eye shadow that might work well for weathering rolling stock. The only difference was her recommendation was to use a high dollar brand from Nordstroms because it was made for stage and television make up and was darker so it didn't take as much make up to weather a car.