ezdays' layout addition '24 build challenge
This is a kickoff to our first challenge in a while. My goal is to take the log cabins that I built a while ago and make a historical park to place them in. I have three structures that can go there, a log cabin, a log ranger station and a two-hole outhouse. I plan on having a chain link fence, a parking area and I'm not sure if I have room for much more. Going to play it by ear as I go.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Right now, all I can do is to plot out a general area where the new park will go. We need to get the land grant, all the permits and then a ground-breaking ceremony by town officials, which might take a few weeks to get done. Which is good, because I have a project that I'm working on right now that might take that long to finish. In the meantime, I will prepare to get contractor estimates and write contracts for materials. The park will be next to the train station and we'll need permission for access, otherwise the town will need to build a road and cross some tracks.  Just think about everything we need just to do a small project like this. Here's a few shots of the proposed location

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Didn't realize the bureaucracy in Arizona was that bad! Permits on a model railroad...?. At least they're not taxing rain out there like our governor did about 10 years ago....
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows
(06-01-2024, 12:18 PM)TMo Wrote: Didn't realize the bureaucracy in Arizona was that bad!  Permits on a model railroad...?.  At least they're not taxing rain out there like our governor did about 10 years ago....
It's state trust land and not easy to transfer, so we may get a 100-year lease for a dollar a year with an option to buy. The town still is going to require building permits to make sure we are up to code. We're fortunate that we will not be required to join an HOA since the log cabin is residential, but we got around that by adding a ranger station/museum/gift shop, making it commercial.  Icon_rolleyes
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
don't forget the title insurance.
Jim
Jim, title insurance is not necessary since this is a land grant. Just to be sure, I checked with our governor, but she was too busy getting ready for the campaign trail to take time for us common folk.  Nope

The first load of material arrived even though it won't be needed for a while. It's the chain link fencing. It arrived in 140' rolls, and, of course, they unrolled it already. Waiting It will be moved to our storage area until needed.

What I found was that they actually used a huge grease splatter screen (available at Walmart in up to 150' diameter N scale). and cut it in 6' strips. Clever little guys, except that they forgot to deliver the poles. 35

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and