Hobby Celebrities
As a new member I am loathe to comment on another model railroaders artisitic skills or knowledge base, however, it's a subject close to my heart.

What I've found interesting over the years is that much of the modelling done by the so-called celebrities is average at best. I can appreciate detail work on a layout, but many folks have the awful habit of adding too much to a scene making it look almost comical.

To some, more stuff equals detail and this is simply not true. It just becomes a cluttered mess.

I have seen some absolutely beautiful layouts and more often than not, they take the minimalist approach. I know much of that is a matter of taste, but some folks think realism is how many poorly painted Preiser figures one can jam in a scene.

One of the things gotten wrong almost universally is vegetation. Grass is one of my pet-peaves and I spend HOURS trying to get it to look right.

I would never put my work as the standard for any modeller and I can appreciate the guys who just want to operate trains. I do get my "underware in a bunch" when I see articles about certain modellers; self-proclaimed and those bearing the title celebrity unwittingly (perhaps) due to their skill. Why someone would want to emulate much of that work is beyond me for the most part.

Messages In This Thread